ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: jbl prx 618s problems  (Read 17993 times)

brandoncasey

jbl prx 618s problems
« on: August 08, 2012, 10:53:41 PM »

i have had these jbl prx 618s subs for about 2 yrs now and have had both units go totally out....first happened within 1 year and the second just happened last week. nothing powers up from the built in crown amp. fuse is good and power, but no sound or blue lights. will still pass audio to top cabs.
does anybody know of any issue or have a wire diagram for the amps. running out of ideas.
thanks

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: jbl prx 618s problems
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:04:39 PM »

i have had these jbl prx 618s subs for about 2 yrs now and have had both units go totally out....first happened within 1 year and the second just happened last week. nothing powers up from the built in crown amp. fuse is good and power, but no sound or blue lights. will still pass audio to top cabs.
does anybody know of any issue or have a wire diagram for the amps. running out of ideas.
thanks

Have you tried contacting tech support @ JBL?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

brandoncasey

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:07:38 PM »

Have you tried contacting tech support @ JBL?
yes i have but they want me to return in box and no guarantee on delivery back...(plus pay to ship both units).
my friend sent a jbl speaker off and returned almost six months later.
i would rather take my chances getting the repair done from a local company who had a wiring diagram or something to go off.
jbl will not release.

cliff truesdell

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 02:17:25 AM »

Sounds like what happened to one of the VRX918SP subs that went down. I believe it was the power supply. What about just sending in the amp modules?

Randall Hyde

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 11:59:06 AM »

thanks

Just had three out of four PRX 625 cabinets do the same to me. This was after less than 10 hours use on each cabinet. There's a thread on choosing powered cabinets for a heavy metal band around here that has lots of interesting information about the Crown amplifier modules. I'd check that out before doing anything.

And yes, Harmon has a really bad track record of getting things back to me. They took a year (and a "Mandy mood" from my wife) to repair an old DBX DriveRack PA. Over a decade ago, I never got a CD player back from Harmon Kardon. I was quoted 6-8 weeks on the PRX 625 cabinets.

When I was in Orange County Speaker turning in the cabinets, I mention to the salesguy "shoulda got the KWs." Another customer nodded and related his problems with the Crown amps blowing up. Never had a problem with XTi and ITech amps (did have an XLS thermal off on me once). But things don't look good for the amps they put in the PRX line.

I was going to buy four 618XLF and four 615 cabinets to round out my "B" rig. I'm seriously thinking about switching over to the KW series mid-stream because of my experiences. Hate the idea, because I really like the weight of the PRX line, but reliability *has* to come first.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:01:48 PM by Randall Hyde »

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 12:43:41 PM »

I have been using four PRX 618S-XLF subs for over a year without any issues.  Fingers crossed!  I have received many compliments from guest engineers who were pleased (and some who were surprised) by the sound.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:46:50 PM by Chuck Simon »

Derek D Sanchez

• DDSProductions.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 04:03:52 PM »

Chuck, how would your 4 prx 618 xlf compare to a pair of jbl srx4719x subs they are dual 18 boxes? I am thinking about replacing a pair of the srx for 4 prx 618xlf subs but was wondering if the output would be the same. Thanks Derek

I have been using four PRX 618S-XLF subs for over a year without any issues.  Fingers crossed!  I have received many compliments from guest engineers who were pleased (and some who were surprised) by the sound.
[/quote]

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 10:56:16 AM »

Chuck, how would your 4 prx 618 xlf compare to a pair of jbl srx4719x subs they are dual 18 boxes? I am thinking about replacing a pair of the srx for 4 prx 618xlf subs but was wondering if the output would be the same. Thanks Derek

I have never made the comparison so I can't really say.  I would not expect a huge gain in performance(if any at all) by going from the 4719 to the XLF.  I prefer the versatility and light weight of the XLF's for my use.

Derek D Sanchez

• DDSProductions.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 11:08:16 AM »

Chuck, thanks for the info, I to would prefer the weight savings vs two 188 pounds subs and a 69 pound amp. I just worry that I won't be able to get the srx 725 high enough unless I stack two 618 xlf subs on top of each other. Thanks Derek

I have never made the comparison so I can't really say.  I would not expect a huge gain in performance(if any at all) by going from the 4719 to the XLF.  I prefer the versatility and light weight of the XLF's for my use.
[/quote]

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »

The 618's stack very nicely.  I do it with a SRX 722 on top.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.