ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Choosing a digital console  (Read 11307 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Choosing a digital console
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 09:54:30 PM »

An A&H GDL80 with expansion for 48 inputs (44 mic inputs) and 30 outputs is less than $14k total, a savings that many churches might be able to put to good use.   An A&H iLive-T112/48 is around $22k or less and has more than 48 inputs.  And both could accommodate a Dante, EtherSound, MADI, etc. card for up to 64 track recording and playback (or an Aviom/ADAT card).  Yet they apparently are not being considered and why that is so is not clear. 

I'm not trying to push the A&H consoles but rather making the point that in "what mixer" discussions is that it can be important to understand the factors and priorities involved and particulary how much personal preferences factor in.
+1.  The GLD is a lot less than $14K from a good dealer.  If the budget allows for more - great, but you get a lot of mixer for the money, and as Brad says, the price difference could be applied to other areas (speakers, room treatment, etc.), and/or not spent at all.

Mark Turner

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 10:09:27 AM »

Small correction: The M480 has two dynamics processors each on input channels 1-48, 1 compressor and 1 gate/expander/ducking processor. I'd also mention that for stage I/O there are also 8x16 and 8x32 boxes available in addition to the 32x8 and 16x8 boxes.
Thanks Jason! I'll make the correction.
Mark Turner
Volunteer Tech Coordinator
Woodlake UMC
Chesterfield, VA

andrewking

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 05:47:30 PM »

Gil, thanks for that info. That's really helpful.

Brad, I hadn't seen the GDL80, so I'll look into that. I like that it has Aviom-compatible monitor output, which won't require a separate Aviom card. That leaves the card slot free for something like MADI.

The T112 doesn't have the monitor out, which would require separate Aviom and MADI cards, and since it only has one card slot, they'd have to choose one or the other. Or, I guess they could get the T112 with the iDR-64 I/O and use 16 of the analog outs for Aviom.

Man, there are just so many options and pretty much all of them good. It's tough to just pick one.

BobWitte

• Soundman, Consultant, Love all things audio
    • Cascading Waters Audio
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »

+1 for the GLD80. We have one for our personal sound company. Still waiting for the "reeled digital snakes" but we have used it for several gigs with analog snakes to FOH and then just short CAT5E cables from the AR's (stage racks) to the GLD.

Nice system, sounds great, good processing. We purchased a Dante Card (don't have it yet) so we can record multichannel audio direct to a laptop (to actually - one for backup) and then we can also do the Virtual Soundcheck too.

It is worth looking at since it is higher in capability then Si Compacts, Studiolives etc. but less then the higher tiers and priced in between.

Gil, thanks for that info. That's really helpful.

Brad, I hadn't seen the GDL80, so I'll look into that. I like that it has Aviom-compatible monitor output, which won't require a separate Aviom card. That leaves the card slot free for something like MADI.

The T112 doesn't have the monitor out, which would require separate Aviom and MADI cards, and since it only has one card slot, they'd have to choose one or the other. Or, I guess they could get the T112 with the iDR-64 I/O and use 16 of the analog outs for Aviom.

Man, there are just so many options and pretty much all of them good. It's tough to just pick one.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 01:50:55 PM »

+1 for the GLD80. We have one for our personal sound company. Still waiting for the "reeled digital snakes" but we have used it for several gigs with analog snakes to FOH and then just short CAT5E cables from the AR's (stage racks) to the GLD.

Nice system, sounds great, good processing. We purchased a Dante Card (don't have it yet) so we can record multichannel audio direct to a laptop (to actually - one for backup) and then we can also do the Virtual Soundcheck too.

It is worth looking at since it is higher in capability then Si Compacts, Studiolives etc. but less then the higher tiers and priced in between.
Hi Bob.  I saw your post on the GLD forum.  I have both 100' and 200' Ethernet cables I've used for my GLD with no issues whatsoever, spooled and unspooled.  I think you were having trouble right at the limit of 400'?  You might have really good luck going slightly shorter.

I'm using the ProPlex PCCAT5EP cable that is qualified for use with the ILives.  It's nice quality (though the jacket sticks to itself - a little dirt helps a lot), and seems like it will last a VERY long time.

BobWitte

• Cascading Waters Audio
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 03:29:48 PM »

Tom,

Yes we had problems with the first spool of cable. My issue is that Allen and Heath SELLS the cable and it meets the specifications they set. If I was buying someones else's cable I am sure I'd be in the middle of a finger pointing argument. I hope we only had a bad cable or termination issue. Soon we hope to get the replacement and the second cable we ordered. We "usually" only need max. 200 or so feet, but we felt that we would go with the longer cable Allen and Heath sells so that we cover all possibilities now and in the future. In fact, one application we have every year would be so much easier with a very long cable. We record multiple sessions of a Men's conference in multiple rooms and several of the rooms are quite distant. Running the CAT5E cable would make this so much easier....

I will let everyone know how this pans out (left (bad) or right (good))!

Hi Bob.  I saw your post on the GLD forum.  I have both 100' and 200' Ethernet cables I've used for my GLD with no issues whatsoever, spooled and unspooled.  I think you were having trouble right at the limit of 400'?  You might have really good luck going slightly shorter. I will check into the ProPlex PCCAT5EP as an alternative if needed.

THANKS,

I'm using the ProPlex PCCAT5EP cable that is qualified for use with the ILives.  It's nice quality (though the jacket sticks to itself - a little dirt helps a lot), and seems like it will last a VERY long time.

BobWitte

• Cascading Waters Audio
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 03:39:24 PM »

Hi Tom again,

Where did you purchase the ProPlex cable? Was it pre-made and on a reel? I also checked on Mogami cable from HHB.

The A&H cable looked like good quality too so I hope the next reels work.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob.  I saw your post on the GLD forum.  I have both 100' and 200' Ethernet cables I've used for my GLD with no issues whatsoever, spooled and unspooled.  I think you were having trouble right at the limit of 400'?  You might have really good luck going slightly shorter.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »

Hi Tom again,

Where did you purchase the ProPlex cable? Was it pre-made and on a reel? I also checked on Mogami cable from HHB.

The A&H cable looked like good quality too so I hope the next reels work.

Thanks,

Bob
I bought them from Mike Pyle.  They did come pre-made using Neutrik Ethercon connectors.  The reel came separately, so I had to roll it myself, which took all of about 8 minutes.  I'm using this reel, which also came from Mike:  http://www.hannay.com/productpage.asp?IDENT=112

It's more than fine for my 200' cable.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.