ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY topboxes to match Labsubs  (Read 31867 times)

joelee

• Turbo Power Audio
Re: DIY topboxes to match Labsubs
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 04:39:43 AM »

Joelee, change you name to your real name as per the forum rules.
Also, if i were you, i will do my best not to let people here know who i am, or who do i work for. We do not appreciate here Chinese companies that are making money by stealing other peoples intellectual property.

Have a nice day.

Dear Marjan Milosevic,

Thanks for your reminding me of the forum rules. It's my true name.

I were kidding the guy who want make his box. Don't take so serious. Every coin has its two sides. Steal others intellectual property is not right and illegal, but I think copy is a road to many new companies. when they are more experienced in the professional field, they will have some product by they own. It will urge them to update their technoloy, keep this field energic.

Beside, copy will cut some research cost, it makes their products more competetive. Not everyone have money to buy JBL, Meyersound, L-Acoustic, DAS etc. Even some Africa people are in hungry, will you donate some speakers to support their entertainment? Existing means reasonable.

What's more, don't make a district discrimination of Chinese people, we respect you and you should respect us.

Last, I came here to learn and discuss not to steal your intellectual property.

Regards,
Joe Lee
TPA Sound System
On the way....................................
Turbo Power Audio
www.tpa-pro.com
www.facebook.com/joelee0618

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 07:48:22 AM »

. Steal others intellectual property is not right and illegal, but I think copy is a road to many new companies.
So exactly what is the difference between "stealing a design" and copying it?

I feel they are just different names for the same thing.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Randall Hyde

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 01:17:30 PM »

I'm attempting to get into the large scale EDM sound system game on a limited budget, and with my solid knowledge of carpentry and cabinetry I've begun construction on what will eventually be ten Labsubs.  My question is, what DIY topboxes have been used successfully to compliment the Labsub?

I have plenty of time and a well-equipped shop and access to a CNC router so I can bang out some pretty complicated stuff relatively fast.  Horn loaded mains make the most sense to me, but what the heck do I know?  Answer: very little.

I'm going to be working gigs that center around the bass music movement so I need to build an over-the-top rig.  The talk on the dance floor centers on the amazingness of Funktion One and PK gear but I feel like I can build something as good or better for a fraction of the cost.

Help please.

Just keep in mind what I've told some of my friends:
"Nothing screams 'amateur' quite like home-built speakers."

Granted, you sound like you have the necessary carpentry experience and tools to pull this off. But I'll warn you that it's hard to get home-built cabinets past any ride (even LabSubs in many cases). And the resale value will be very low, even if you've put really expensive drivers in those cabinets.

I was once considering BFM cabinets for a "b" or "c" rig, but gave up that idea rather quickly once I consider TCO (total cost of ownership) and ROI (return on investment).  Homebrew cabs are probably a passable idea for someone in a band where they're the only ones using the gear, it's hard to rent that stuff, though.

Even if you're in a position where people are hiring you rather than your gear, the TCO/ROI aspects suggest going with something commercial grade. Homebrew is really for very cost sensitive applications or when there simply isn't anything that satisfies your requirements.

Cheers,
Randy Hyde

duane massey

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 07:03:27 PM »

DIY/custom is a possibly great idea IF you are the only user of the system, you have the time/$$$/expertise to tackle the project, and you have no plans to expand into the rental market. Nearly all of the participants in this forum are involved in the rental and touring market, so their needs and requirements are possibly not the same as the OP's.
Even though I got into this business as a DIY'er, and still build custom speakers, I do not think it is a wise approach for most people. As always, it depends.....
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2012, 01:57:39 PM »

Dear Marjan Milosevic,

Thanks for your reminding me of the forum rules. It's my true name.

I were kidding the guy who want make his box. Don't take so serious. Every coin has its two sides. Steal others intellectual property is not right and illegal, but I think copy is a road to many new companies. when they are more experienced in the professional field, they will have some product by they own. It will urge them to update their technoloy, keep this field energic.

Beside, copy will cut some research cost, it makes their products more competetive. Not everyone have money to buy JBL, Meyersound, L-Acoustic, DAS etc. Even some Africa people are in hungry, will you donate some speakers to support their entertainment? Existing means reasonable.

What's more, don't make a district discrimination of Chinese people, we respect you and you should respect us.

Last, I came here to learn and discuss not to steal your intellectual property.

Regards,
Joe Lee

Yes sure, but that when you came up with a genuine product that is not copied. You are even naming your company after Turbosound.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2012, 03:43:47 PM »

DIY/custom is a possibly great idea IF you are the only user of the system, you have the time/$$$/expertise to tackle the project, and you have no plans to expand into the rental market. Nearly all of the participants in this forum are involved in the rental and touring market, so their needs and requirements are possibly not the same as the OP's.
Even though I got into this business as a DIY'er, and still build custom speakers, I do not think it is a wise approach for most people. As always, it depends.....

Right on, Duane.  Once a guy starts looking at this as a business that does sound, rather than doing sound and hoping to be a business, things change quite a bit.  Randall Hyde's post just above yours spells it out nicely.

I figured out how to reliably make good sound a long time before I learned how to make good business.  The long-term dead end I created with my own company was part of the tuition I paid at Ye Olde Skool of Hard Business Knocks, and is why I now manage a firm rather than own one.  Those experiences are the foundation of much of the counsel I provide here, and why sometimes folks don't like what I have to say.  Most of the folks in these forums are hobbyists (including some fairly "big" ones) that continue to pour $$$ into their "business" long after they should have liquidated.  Most folks would be far better off monetarily if they'd invest their money in other businesses or real estate.  I'm not taking a swipe at advanced hobbyists (or beginning hobbyists for that matter), I'm just encouraging folks to take a long and honest look at audio from the business perspective.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2012, 04:06:31 PM »

Right on, Duane.  Once a guy starts looking at this as a business that does sound, rather than doing sound and hoping to be a business, things change quite a bit.  Randall Hyde's post just above yours spells it out nicely.

I figured out how to reliably make good sound a long time before I learned how to make good business.  The long-term dead end I created with my own company was part of the tuition I paid at Ye Olde Skool of Hard Business Knocks, and is why I now manage a firm rather than own one.  Those experiences are the foundation of much of the counsel I provide here, and why sometimes folks don't like what I have to say.  Most of the folks in these forums are hobbyists (including some fairly "big" ones) that continue to pour $$$ into their "business" long after they should have liquidated.  Most folks would be far better off monetarily if they'd invest their money in other businesses or real estate.  I'm not taking a swipe at advanced hobbyists (or beginning hobbyists for that matter), I'm just encouraging folks to take a long and honest look at audio from the business perspective.
Totally agreed.

It is way to easy to get "caught up" in the quest for more toys.  I know-that is what killed my business.

The people who are successful are the ones who run their business as a business-and not like a hobby-hoping to make a living somehow..

Making decisions based on good business practices-rather than "passion" is one of the keys to success.  Hence why I failed at running my own business.  I was going after the "glamor" rather than the money.

That is the reason I stay away from money/business decisions now-and stick to the technical side of things.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

duane massey

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 10:41:17 PM »

Well, darn. So far I have found neither the money or the glamor, but I do still have a passion for what I do. Unfortunately, at my age "passion" is always accompanied by Alleve, Prilosec, and a spoonful of Metamusil.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 10:41:17 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 21 queries.