ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to improve a JBL Mpro 418 ?  (Read 4404 times)

Goerge Thomas

How to improve a JBL Mpro 418 ?
« on: November 07, 2012, 12:19:07 PM »

I have 4 of these suckers and power them with a QSC Powerlight 6

I want to improve them, I am amazing with wood working, How can I start?

Would it help to add internal bracing? This is my current thinking that would help.... would that hinder it? Would taking the 4 drivers out and making NEW boxes work better? I don't need them to be so compact and can add me CU feet in a new box with bigger ports if it means I get more output in a front loaded single 18 sub

Adding different porting, eliminating the porting. Anything! I am open to any and ALL ideas. I have 4 good MP418 boxes and 4 good MP418 Drivers and a workshop and 4 months.

duane massey

Re: How to improve a JBL Mpro 418 ?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:39:53 PM »

Replace everything. There is nothing you can do to make a noticeable difference in the boxes, and you might as well burn them if you remove the drivers. Sell them for whatever you can get, and upgrade. If this is for your own use, and do not have to deal with riders, DIY can be a rewarding journey, but make certain you know what your needs are before you get started. What genre of  music, how much can you handle size/weight, and do you have experience building speaker cabinets? More info needed....
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 11:21:44 PM »

There's no getting more output from these drivers in a reflex box, you could get more low end extension with a larger/lower tuned box like the SR4700 series but that comes at the expense of power handling, so there's really no net gain.

Matt Long

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 05:22:39 AM »

I modified a pair of MP415 by taking out the passive crossover and going active. It was a nightmare at first getting the dsp right but once I did there was a decent improvement in the over all output and quality. I didn't really have the option to sell them but if I did I would have.

-Matt

John Chiara

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »

I have 4 of these suckers and power them with a QSC Powerlight 6

I want to improve them, I am amazing with wood working, How can I start?

Would it help to add internal bracing? This is my current thinking that would help.... would that hinder it? Would taking the 4 drivers out and making NEW boxes work better? I don't need them to be so compact and can add me CU feet in a new box with bigger ports if it means I get more output in a front loaded single 18 sub

Adding different porting, eliminating the porting. Anything! I am open to any and ALL ideas. I have 4 good MP418 boxes and 4 good MP418 Drivers and a workshop and 4 months.

Waves Maxxbass or BCL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.