ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympic stadium  (Read 5698 times)

Thomas Lamb

Olympic stadium
« on: August 04, 2012, 11:36:13 PM »

Typically before during or after the Olympics I've seen some write ups on some of the systems used. The rig I'm mostly interested in is Olympic stadium. I'm not sure what they are using but what really intrigues me more is how the rigging is done. It appears that there may be 20+ hangs of boxes but it's done in a stadium with no roof! So it appears to be some sort of massive cable ring they are hung from. I would love to see some closer pictures of it. It seems to be some pretty amazing engineering.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Sam Zuckerman

• Baltimore, MD
Re: Olympic stadium
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 04:17:54 AM »

I was noticing the rigging today as well. Really curious.

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 07:30:18 AM »

Typically before during or after the Olympics I've seen some write ups on some of the systems used. The rig I'm mostly interested in is Olympic stadium. I'm not sure what they are using but what really intrigues me more is how the rigging is done. It appears that there may be 20+ hangs of boxes but it's done in a stadium with no roof! So it appears to be some sort of massive cable ring they are hung from. I would love to see some closer pictures of it. It seems to be some pretty amazing engineering.

I see no other references, so it may be that these folks designed the system used:

http://www.vanguardiaconsulting.co.uk/acoustics/projects/london-2012-olympic-stadium/
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 09:23:41 AM »

From what I understand, the "masiive cable ring" is part of the fabric roof structure.  The stadium was designed such that everything above ground is temporary, and will be dismantled after the games are over.  As to the specific question of the audio rigging, I have no insight - except to guess that they utilized said roof structure for hang points.

Megastructures trailer.
Lights and Roof trailer.

edit:  added video links.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:23:13 PM by Scott Wagner »
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »

From what I understand, the "masiive cable ring" is part of the fabric roof structure.  The stadium was designed such that everything above ground is temporary, and will be dismantled after the games are over.  As to the specific question of the audio rigging, I have no insight - except to guess that they utilized said roof structure for hang points.

Megastructures trailer.
Lights and Roof trailer.

edit:  added video links.

Its pretty spectacular piece of engineering!

(All of the following info is what i've been told or read, so may not be 100% accurate, I have no first hand knowledge myself. But...)

While Vanguardia were in overall charge of the stadium I'm lead to believe this was mainly for the install system that will be there long term, by EV, that is pictured on their site.

It was actually an Australian company called Norwest Productions I'm told who were brought in to co-ordinate and hang the V-dosc PA that was specifically used for the opening ceremony. There are something like 22 hangs, each with 10 V-dosc with two or three arcs downfills, plus various ground stacks and subs spread about the field.

There weren't many pics taken of it in the dark of the opening ceremony itself, and the plan was to take it all down after the opening ceremony, then hang it all again to close, but sensibly someone realised how much time and expense this would be and they've left it up so there are some pretty good daylight shots taken now.

Each hang...

As people have said the whole thing is hung on high tension cable, with a big ring running round the whole stadium that supports everything, and which itself is supported by cables running both outward to the part of the roof its closest to and also with some all the way into the centre and across the stadium to the opposite side. 

Some shots of the cable syetem....

The whole stadium.... (click for larger)http://i45.tinypic.com/35k0uac.jpg

k

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:20:47 PM by Kevin McDonough »

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 12:18:23 PM »

A superb picture of the whole stadium as Bolt crosses the line in the 100m final. Its super-zoomable (it reloads and ups its resolution, much like google maps, as you zoom in) so you can see all of the technical stuff in the stadium as well as the athletes running the 100m.

http://www.sphericalimages.com/getty/london-2012/gigapixel-henry-stuart-100m-final/tour.html

k
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:23:28 PM by Kevin McDonough »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 12:18:23 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.