ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up backstage program sound feed - suggestions?  (Read 11278 times)

Ron Behro

• Adventures Of Sound Tech Guy
Re: Setting up backstage program sound feed - suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 01:17:15 am »

I've done a fashion shows twice (maybe thrice) and I believe this is how we did it. The client does not understand that the inputs and outputs can be routed multiple places so they often assume a mic is needed for a backstage mix. I would send announce and program music back stage and depending on how far the dressing room is from the stage, add a audience mic or two. (The few fashion shows I've done were in malls or a small auditorium so audience could be heard fairly well backstage, no audience mic needed.)

The mix wiz has many options. There are the auxes (and I believe 3+4 are switchable pre/post fade), there is the mono out and the A/B out.

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the great suggestions. I am going to try and work your ideas into the mix. Luckily, the fashion organizers are very easy to work for and they usually have no problem taking the sound mix that I give them.

Cheers!
Ron

Ron Behro

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 01:19:50 am »

Ron,

I would use a post-fader aux send and not a pre-fader send for this application

JP

Hello JP,

I am going to try out the mixes both ways. Using prefade aux send and postfade aux sends. Thanks for the great tips.

Cheers!
Ron

Ron Behro

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 01:21:36 am »

The response recommending pre fade was in relation to the OP's use of audience mics only. With audience mics only, they should be prefader so the monitoring in the dressing room reflects what is actually happening in the room.

If a full program mix is what is really wanted, it should be post fader.

Mac

Hello Mac,

Thanks for your suggestions. The prefade/postfade aux send things seems to be the way to go.

Cheers!
Ron

Ron Behro

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 01:29:28 am »

Why do you need microphones for this feed?  What is their purpose?

Hi Tim,

The mics are required to provide a show mix for the models backstage. The models will be able to hear their part in the show.
Same as in theatres where the show audio feed is sent to the backstage areas, dressing rooms, etc. so that the actors will know what of the show is happening and also listen for their specific cues.

Thanks for your help.
Cheers!
Ron

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 04:46:40 am »

Hi Tim,

The mics are required to provide a show mix for the models backstage. The models will be able to hear their part in the show.
Same as in theatres where the show audio feed is sent to the backstage areas, dressing rooms, etc. so that the actors will know what of the show is happening and also listen for their specific cues.

Thanks for your help.
Cheers!
Ron

I fail to understand what show elements are not contained in the inputs to the PA mix... Announcers and emcees, music, the audio for any video material.... what am I missing here?
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 06:23:18 am »

I'll explain why I'm suggesting a prefade send.
On that mixwiz, the channels are all assigned to the mains, so you can't turn the fader up to provide a signal to the postfade sends without sending the mic signal to the mains.
Postfade will therefore give you crappy sound and feedback in the mains.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 09:17:54 am »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your help.
Cheers!
Ron
I fail to understand what show elements are not contained in the inputs to the PA mix... Announcers and emcees, music, the audio for any video material.... what am I missing here?
I'll explain why I'm suggesting a prefade send.
On that mixwiz, the channels are all assigned to the mains, so you can't turn the fader up to provide a signal to the postfade sends without sending the mic signal to the mains.
Postfade will therefore give you crappy sound and feedback in the mains.

Ron, you really seem to missing what everyone is saying here. Per has explained the pre/post issue a couple of times, and Tim and I are both questioning the decision to use only audience mics to feed the BS monitors. The monitors will sound better, and be more useful if fed with a real program mix that duplicates what is going to the PA. this can be an aux send, or a split. Unfortunately, with the MixWiz you won't be able to add the audience mics to a post fader send because they will also go to the PA, and you don't want to use a pre fade aux for the rest of the audio because it will hear any cuing up you do, and will not have crossfades. I would abandon the audience mics altogether and just do a real program monitor in the dressing room.

Mac

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 09:45:01 am »

Ron, you really seem to missing what everyone is saying here. Per has explained the pre/post issue a couple of times, and Tim and I are both questioning the decision to use only audience mics to feed the BS monitors. The monitors will sound better, and be more useful if fed with a real program mix that duplicates what is going to the PA. this can be an aux send, or a split. Unfortunately, with the MixWiz you won't be able to add the audience mics to a post fader send because they will also go to the PA, and you don't want to use a pre fade aux for the rest of the audio because it will hear any cuing up you do, and will not have crossfades. I would abandon the audience mics altogether and just do a real program monitor in the dressing room.

Mac

+1,

and I wouldn't worry about them hearing applause...they'll hear it.

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Loren Aguey

• New York City
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 01:36:01 pm »

I would abandon the audience mics altogether and just do a real program monitor in the dressing room.

Yup. Audience mics are absolutely not required for the models to hear what's going on. Do what everyone else does for backstage feeds, which is a post fade aux program feed. Use your aux master to control the overall level of the back stage monitors without affecting the house.

No need to make this any more complicated than it needs to be.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 05:05:41 pm »

I feel the same way. Program mics are great when you have elements present in the room that are not in the mix (stuff coming out of the orchestra pit for example). If this is just canned tracks and a few announce mics, what is wrong with just sending them a copy of the main mix?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.