ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up backstage program sound feed - suggestions?  (Read 17945 times)

Ron Behro

• Adventures Of Sound Tech Guy
Setting up backstage program sound feed - suggestions?
« on: August 04, 2012, 11:19:50 PM »

Need to setup a backstage, program sound feed for a fashion show. The models need to be able to hear the show feed from front of house for their show cues. I would be interested in suggested setups.

I will be using an Allen & Heath Mix Wizard 16x2 mixer for the main sound mix. This mixer has 6 aux sends (4 prefade, 2 post fade) per channel but, has no subgroups. I need to mic the audience area and send just that feed only to the backstage speakers. The distance is lengthy from the mixing console around to the backstage zone. Any suggestions for this?

Please discuss this with me.

Note: I have attached a picture of the Allen & Heath 16x2 back panel patches.

Cheers!
Ron

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
Re: Setting up backstage program sound feed - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 11:58:31 PM »

Send a prefade aux down a balanced cable, and you should be fine, even with some length, a line level impedance balanced signal should be fine.
You could even use the direct out and just set level with the gain knob, but having to change the jumper if you want to have EQ is a PITA task you probably don't want to undertake.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 01:34:00 AM »

I can't tell from the picture due to the low quality, but you have a left, right and mono out. Why not use the mono out. Or, if the board has a control room out you could use that. There's plenty of ways to route the signal if you stop and think just a bit. Find an output you're not using and send the signal you need to it.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog
Setting up backstage program sound feed - suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 02:03:25 AM »

I'm a little confused with your question. Do you only need to send these audience microphones to the backstage feed? Will the aux mixes not solve the problem?

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 07:12:21 AM »

The mono out on your mixer is simply a sum of the left and right mix signals rather than a dedicated mix bus so if you have a pre-fade aux send available then I would use that.

Beyond that, just how long are the runs involved and what are you planning for the backstage speakers and amplification?

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »

The mono out on your mixer is simply a sum of the left and right mix signals rather than a dedicated mix bus so if you have a pre-fade aux send available then I would use that.

Beyond that, just how long are the runs involved and what are you planning for the backstage speakers and amplification?
+1

and

+1
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 11:01:18 AM »

Need to setup a backstage, program sound feed for a fashion show. The models need to be able to hear the show feed from front of house for their show cues. I would be interested in suggested setups.

I will be using an Allen & Heath Mix Wizard 16x2 mixer for the main sound mix. This mixer has 6 aux sends (4 prefade, 2 post fade) per channel but, has no subgroups. I need to mic the audience area and send just that feed only to the backstage speakers. The distance is lengthy from the mixing console around to the backstage zone. Any suggestions for this?

Please discuss this with me.

Note: I have attached a picture of the Allen & Heath 16x2 back panel patches.

Cheers!
Ron

I guess I don't understand your problems.

The easy answer is: an unused output from your mixer and a long-ass cable.  Use a small powered speaker backstage.

How far is far away?

With fashion shows the FOH doesn't need to be "out front."  You can mix from the side; sometimes I've operated these kinds of shows from back stage, getting my cues from the director over walkie talkie or ClearCom.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 01:13:11 PM »

I guess I don't understand your problems.

The easy answer is: an unused output from your mixer and a long-ass cable.  Use a small powered speaker backstage.

How far is far away?

With fashion shows the FOH doesn't need to be "out front."  You can mix from the side; sometimes I've operated these kinds of shows from back stage, getting my cues from the director over walkie talkie or ClearCom.

Not only backstage, but many of them I've mixed from inside the dressing room. I also don't understand why they want audience mics only. Generally they want to get a good music feed to keep the models pumped for their runway time. I would think an actual program mix of direct music, announcer, and room mics via an aux send would be the best answer. The client doesn't always know how to ask for what they really want.

Mac

Sam Zuckerman

• Baltimore, MD
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 01:47:17 PM »

Not only backstage, but many of them I've mixed from inside the dressing room. I also don't understand why they want audience mics only. Generally they want to get a good music feed to keep the models pumped for their runway time. I would think an actual program mix of direct music, announcer, and room mics via an aux send would be the best answer. The client doesn't always know how to ask for what they really want.

Mac
I've done a fashion shows twice (maybe thrice) and I believe this is how we did it. The client does not understand that the inputs and outputs can be routed multiple places so they often assume a mic is needed for a backstage mix. I would send announce and program music back stage and depending on how far the dressing room is from the stage, add a audience mic or two. (The few fashion shows I've done were in malls or a small auditorium so audience could be heard fairly well backstage, no audience mic needed.)

The mix wiz has many options. There are the auxes (and I believe 3+4 are switchable pre/post fade), there is the mono out and the A/B out.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 01:57:59 PM »

Mac

Agreed.   And for sure you should try to get the mix position located in the dressing room....... ;) ;) ;D
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 01:57:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.