ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lep LD2400 Dimmers...  (Read 2623 times)

Geri O'Neil

Lep LD2400 Dimmers...
« on: August 03, 2012, 08:40:13 pm »

Yeah, yeah, I'd like to see a house full of LEDs, too, but until static are no longer asked for, yada yada...

We have around 30 of the Lep LD2400 dimmers and it seems like you just can't kill these things. But to me, anyway, they have a major Achilles Heel...these things are full of a little red connector that is used throughout the dimmer. I mean, on the power inlet, where they are slid together to make one big connector, to the parts on the inside, to the connection on the back of the dimmer for the hard patch.

More and more, I"m seeing our lampies having to go inside the dimmer racks and deal with issues related to these little connectors. It appears to me that the overall issue is that the contact loses its tension, making for a bad connection and in a few cases, a melted and burned connector. Has anyone had experience dealing with this issue on these dimmers? It seems like the long term solution is to go through EVERY dimmer, open it up and try to re-establish the tension or "spring" to all of the the connectors so it will make better contact (except in the case of the connectors where the contact shows signs of heat and arcing or other damage from a weak connection). I'd just like to see if anyone else has dealt with these dimmers and this issue with them before I propose that the lampies begin this procedure that will probably take a few days (we have around 30 of these things) to complete.

Thanx for any insight (other than the painfully obvious solution..."GO LEDs!...long sigh...)

Geri O

Scott Hofmann

Re: Lep LD2400 Dimmers...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 10:47:51 pm »

Have you talked directly with the Leprecon service department about this issue? They have always been very responsive to any questions I've ever had about their older equipment and seem to have quite a parts stock as well. Best to just give them a call!
Scott Hofmann

DanGlass

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 07:08:52 am »

My intiail response is "yes" open them all up and check for issues.  Better to do that now then after a melted connector does more damage to other components.  I agree that these dimmers are tough, but even they need a little TLC once in awhile.  I would reccommend coming up with at least an annual (if not semi annual) plan to open them up for cleaning and checking connectors. 

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:47:43 am »

Thanx, guys, I appreciate the thoughts...

(A) we are Lep dealers, we've had the discussions and while the tech department is very helpful, they have been a little vague on the process of maintaining the little red connectors. We had that discussion over 10 years ago, it hasn't changed much. And I don't fault them for that.

(B) we indeed have a bi-annual cleaning process that involves removing the lids from EVERYTHING, blowing them out, and inspections and general look-see's. This includes removing the red connectors and re-making their connection to exercise the connection. This is done with me over-seeing the lighting guys as I'm not in that department. I'm looking to compare notes to see if (1) anyone has done this procedure on the red tabs and if it's been effective or if the age of the original tabs is such that any "springing" won't last and they should be replaced.

Besides, I'm kinda thinking I could have saved the bandwidth here since my common sense is telling me how to proceed with this issue.

Geri O

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 10:57:32 am »

Geri,

If you have connections continually coming loose, there may be other issues to worry about.  What they are, I have no idea…helpful, aren't I?  ::)

Anyway, a dab of hot glue or silicone on the connection will usually hold it in place and help insulate it if there's a lot of heat build-up (Silicone is definitely better for that).
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:45:42 am »

Geri, we fixed the little red connector issue permanently... we sold the dimmers.

The connector's metal bits seem to lose their "springiness" over time and develop increasing resistance until the heat melts the plastic and things stop working.  The heat makes the red plastic brittle which led to damage to neighboring connector sections during service.  We'd usually replace all of them if they were part of a 'block.'  At any rate, once the dimmer output connectors start to fail my recollection is that they'd all fail within a year.  We eventually replaced the whole lot of them and after a couple of years, "solved" the problem.  And the replacement dimmers were Leprecon VX2400 racks...
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:45:42 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 22 queries.