ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DJ Pay  (Read 10513 times)

Kevin McDonough

Re: DJ Pay
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 01:14:55 PM »

hey

There are occasional reasons for DJ's to "mime" publically, usually when its a high profile, very tightly timed TV events like MTV awards and big half time stuff. As well as risking the DJ making a mistake or playing too long, your also just risking thinks like equipment failure or a skipping CD/Crashing Laptop. Better to be safe than sorry when there are X-million people watching, I know I would!

However that said, being a musician as well as a sound engineer I do appreciate and somewhat agree with life's constant arguments about mimers vs musicians. But at the end of the day its about draw. Its a business and it works very clinically.

A persons name will draw in X amount of people/ticket sales for the promoter, and so the promoter will pay him/her an appropriate fee so that they can secure that acts services and still make a decent profit.

As long as all those people that turn up have a good time and think they enjoy themselves, it shouldn't really matter. If they don't then people will stop buying and promoters wont book or drastically cut fee. Simple market forces.

If you could get paid 11million for standing there doing nothing then you would, no problem! Sign me up tomorrow! :)

Dan Tartol

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 01:23:54 PM »

A lot of the people on that list aren't even DJs, and don't clame to be. They are PRODUCERS. Anyone who has ever seen Steve Aoki live can tell you he does no actual DJing, he just parties his face off. Just because they know how to make tracks in a studio does not automatically mean they know how to mix and play on CDJs.
My profession is DJing, my passion is making it SOUND good.

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 01:44:16 AM »

A lot of the people on that list aren't even DJs, and don't clame to be. They are PRODUCERS. Anyone who has ever seen Steve Aoki live can tell you he does no actual DJing, he just parties his face off. Just because they know how to make tracks in a studio does not automatically mean they know how to mix and play on CDJs.

I hate to contradict everything in this thread, but I've been personally involved with Aoki on tours where he's actually singing and travels with a soundman.  (Yes, that meant rehearsals and everything - no comment on the outcome).  I've also been seen the progression for several artists (Mr Aoki among them) from CDJ 1000's to Serato and CDJ 1000's to the CDJ 2000 platform exclusively.  I can say with confidence that most of these touring DJ's will 'mix and play' for more hours on CDJ's in 2013 than your average club DJ will in the next decade.  These guys work NON-STOP!  They will also produce a shit-load of music from in airport lounges, hotels and, on rare occasion, tour buses outfitted with slick studio setups.  On even rarer occasion they may get to work from their home studio. 

If you think for a second that Aoki and company don't know how to 'mix', you've got the wrong credentials.  All the jumping up and down and champagne popping is a skit like any other.  These guys are in the business of selling tickets for promoters - if that means stage antics over traditional dj'ing can you really blame them?  They are catering to the crowd.  I agree they may not spend most of their stage time DJ'ing.  Their success is linked to audience satisfaction!  Sadly it's like anything else in life: if that's what they want, why not do it? 

I'm not saying there aren't other (more) skilled DJ's or producers. I'm saying that's life - get over it! 

Marlow "put me in coach" Wilson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 01:44:16 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.