ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DJ Pay  (Read 10480 times)

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
DJ Pay
« on: August 03, 2012, 12:39:57 PM »

Is this the future?

Now if a couple of the Dj/VJs I do work for hit it big, who knows?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2012/08/02/gym-tan-money-inside-pauly-d-11-million-payday/

Regards, John

Blake Courtney

Re: DJ Pay
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 04:12:11 PM »

The future is here.

I Worked with Pauly D last weekend. Not a bad guy, just Hit fame and fortune very quickly.

I would have been thrilled to have even 5% of that paycheck.

Is this the future?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2012/08/02/gym-tan-money-inside-pauly-d-11-million-payday/

Regards, John

Tracy Garner

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 11:17:10 AM »

Is this the future?

Regards, John

A bunch of A list DJs look at this guy work and the first question they ask is will he ever turn on his equipment? Many pics online show his stuff on pause or not even powered on. What is the equivalent of lip-syncing in the turntablist world? The Milli Vanilli of DJing... One thig for sure is you can't argue that he is making money.

Brad Tartaglia

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 01:05:50 AM »

A bunch of A list DJs look at this guy work and the first question they ask is will he ever turn on his equipment? Many pics online show his stuff on pause or not even powered on. What is the equivalent of lip-syncing in the turntablist world? The Milli Vanilli of DJing... One thig for sure is you can't argue that he is making money.

I have been seeing a lot of this... David Guetta is a prime example.  I can understand that for large crowds, a lot of performers like to pre-record their sets to guarantee no mess ups. But at the same time, should they really be getting paid that much for "Lip Syncing" on the decks? Who says that behind the scenes they are really even doing the mixing? Could just be a pretty face on stage.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 10:47:33 AM »

I have been seeing a lot of this... David Guetta is a prime example.  I can understand that for large crowds, a lot of performers like to pre-record their sets to guarantee no mess ups. But at the same time, should they really be getting paid that much for "Lip Syncing" on the decks? Who says that behind the scenes they are really even doing the mixing? Could just be a pretty face on stage.

Hello,

While there are many purists whom feel that the title "Musician" or "Vocalist" should be reserved to those that perform the work in real-time, there has always been groups, entertainers, etc... that have for whatever reason (complexity, lack of ability either physically or proficientcy) that have used pre-recorded or "enhanced" backing tracks.

This use of prerecorded tracks is not new, and has been used since people could make recordings.

Now, whether someone feels that this is "cheating" or deceiving the audience, is up to that individual. In today's times, if one were to go to experience a show, expecting all parts of the program to be performed in real-time, only to find that it contained backing tracks, then, they have been deceived, either by there own naivete' or by a complex work by an artist that wants to ensure his work is performed as they'd envisioned.

Most attendees go to Pop or DJ events to experience the show, not to critique the abilities of the performers.

I think that the style/type of music performed has in itself, dictated the credibility of it's faithfulness to the performance.

Cheers,
   Hammer

Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 01:08:03 AM »

Where are you seeing a lot of this?   I've worked with over half of the DJ's on that Forbes highest earners list more than once and they are actually doing stuff up there.  Some do more than others - of course - but it's not like there is some recent plague of lazy touring DJ's. 

Tracy Garner

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 12:48:14 PM »

Where are you seeing a lot of this?   I've worked with over half of the DJ's on that Forbes highest earners list more than once and they are actually doing stuff up there.  Some do more than others - of course - but it's not like there is some recent plague of lazy touring DJ's.

The ones that are doing stuff are actually the ones complaining out the ones that aren't. There is no reason to pre-record a DJ mix just because its an "important" gig. I heard Fatboy Slim most recently did this at the closing ceremonies of the Olympics. Maybe it was logistics that forced it in that case.

On the purist comment, 99% of the audience has no clue. I would rather call some of these folks entertainers rather than DJs. Nobody ever called a synthesizer player a violinist.

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »

Maybe it was logistics that forced it in that case.

That's the problem - if you weren't there and involved in the production you just can't possibly know. 

I'm not taking a position here or trying to say all DJ's are great.  I've seen some pretty atrocious stuff over the years, but things are not, in my opinion, getting worse or better.  I think the proliferation of camera phones and youtube means there are more arm chair commentators with a bone to pick because they aren't playing 100+ shows a year in front of thousands of fans.

Fame doesn't always follow talent.  There's nothing new about this.  Nor is it limited to the DJ world or music  (E.g. - doesn't J-wow have a book?).  I've seen lots of big acts just going through the motions, show after show.  Unfortunately the talent and crew often just want to get back on the bus or plane and get on with the next show.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 11:43:53 PM »

The ones that are doing stuff are actually the ones complaining out the ones that aren't. There is no reason to pre-record a DJ mix just because its an "important" gig. I heard Fatboy Slim most recently did this at the closing ceremonies of the Olympics. Maybe it was logistics that forced it in that case.

On the purist comment, 99% of the audience has no clue. I would rather call some of these folks entertainers rather than DJs. Nobody ever called a synthesizer player a violinist.

The reason to pre-record something like an Olymics appearance is to insure the performer can't change the set list of vetted material or play shorter/longer than the allotted time.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tracy Garner

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 09:59:39 AM »

I saw a picture of the new David Guetta CDJ2000 and it just has a PLAY button - no search, no pitch, no track increment...lol

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 09:59:39 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.