ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My first sub alignment using Smaart  (Read 19371 times)

Mark McFarlane

Re: My first sub alignment using Smaart
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »

Mark, I view the first plot as a meaningless measurement, not ambient noise....

As it turns out, my ambient noise plot really isn't that bad. I certainly wouldn't recommend someone using a transfer function instead of a spectrum plot, but since my reference trace was in this case esentially random electronic digitl console noise, the transfer fuctions magnitude plot itself isn't that far from a single channel spectrum plot. 

The trick here is that my refernce trace was essentially white.

Below is a comparison of using atransfer function versus a spectrum plot for measuring the ambient noise in my garage.  The major events, like the fan noise at 56Hz, are basically the same on both plots.

One can try this experiment at home.

Again, I don't recomend using the transfer function to measure what should be a single channel spectrum measurement, but if your reference trace is low level white-ish noise the results won't be too far off, the math works fine.

Anyway, back on track, anyone have a comment on the system alignment?
Mark McFarlane

Paul Tucci

• SR Forums
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 09:51:26 PM »

As it turns out, my ambient noise plot really isn't that bad. I certainly wouldn't recommend someone using a transfer function instead of a spectrum plot, but since my reference trace was in this case esentially random electronic digitl console noise, the transfer fuctions magnitude plot itself isn't that far from a single channel spectrum plot. 

Mark,

As I stated previously, I don't recommend using a TF measurement for what is a single channel measurement either, but if you do, I highly recommend using the Magnitude Threshold parameter option during a TF measurement so that no resultant display is given if there is no valid Reference signal. Proper technique trumps blind luck in this endeavor.  I trust that was illustrated by the previous posts.

Paul

Rasmus Rosenberg

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 06:42:04 AM »

Mark,

As I stated previously, I don't recommend using a TF measurement for what is a single channel measurement either, but if you do, I highly recommend using the Magnitude Threshold parameter option during a TF measurement so that no resultant display is given if there is no valid Reference signal. Proper technique trumps blind luck in this endeavor.  I trust that was illustrated by the previous posts.

Paul

Paul,
When you have time it would be nice with a post about background noise and how to measure it and how to relate to it (how to try to exclude/include it from measurement etc). If Dough would chime in with the Systune feature it would be nice too. There seems to pop up quite a few questions about it. Where people hired to look at a speaker installation also gets tasked to analyze background noise/ fan noise etc. But most importantly proberly how to measure and and relate to how much a venue "spills" to its neighbours out side, upside, downside etc. I know a big task with a can of worms, but im sure you and others know how to do it, or at least has a priotity list :)   

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »

Paul,
When you have time it would be nice with a post about background noise and how to measure it and how to relate to it (how to try to exclude/include it from measurement etc). If Dough would chime in with the Systune feature it would be nice too. There seems to pop up quite a few questions about it. Where people hired to look at a speaker installation also gets tasked to analyze background noise/ fan noise etc. But most importantly proberly how to measure and and relate to how much a venue "spills" to its neighbours out side, upside, downside etc. I know a big task with a can of worms, but im sure you and others know how to do it, or at least has a priotity list :)

SSA Filter demonstration video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiEZ7lnShrA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.