ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are the American dj tri7x leds flicker free  (Read 4444 times)

Derek D Sanchez

• DDSProductions.
Are the American dj tri7x leds flicker free
« on: August 02, 2012, 02:32:22 am »

Does anyone know if the American dj tri7x leds lights are flicker free for video? I got one today for demo and I am very impressed by it after testing it, but noticed on the box and website that there is no mention of flicker free like there other leds. So I tested it with my canon 3ti on video mode and everything looked good until I started to dim green from full to half dim and got lines going though the screen. All the basic colors were fine when full bright but once you start mixing and having to dim certain colors I get the lines, like amber for example and pink when you start going for a lighter one. Would this happen in flicker free leds? I might have to go down to the mega tri par with 5 tris because it states flicker free or move up to the rgbw 5 watt fixtures they came out with for the same reason. I want to stick to the American dj because of the 40 degree angle which I prefer. Thanks Derek

DanGlass

Re: Are the American dj tri7x leds flicker free
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 06:46:17 am »

I dont believe that they are built as flicker free.  If you are planning on using them with video I would suggest that you make the change and go for the ones labeled as "flicker free".  I have had some really good success with ones not labeled but that is just plain dumb luck.  You will also find that the flicker rate can be more or less apparent depending on the quality of the camera being used.  Why risk it?  If you have the option to start off on the right path then go for it.

Derek D Sanchez

• DDSProductions.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 01:10:17 pm »

I called American dj this morning and asked them if the tri7x are flicker free, they said they are and need to update the product information. I also asked them about the flicker I get on camera when dimming the green led to half and they said once you dim them they will flicker just like all there other lights labeled flicker free. Will all flicker free lights cause flicker when dimmed down the red and blue leds don't do it just the green led. Thanks Derek

DanGlass

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 03:56:21 pm »

Flicker free should mean just that. I have used true flicker free LED's and experience nothing but smooth dimming.  All the more reason to switch to another model.

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 12:03:22 am »

Hi Derek,

The issue has to do with the camera shooting at 24, 25 or 30 frames per second (I rounded the 24 and 30 FPS)

The same thing may occur when you shoot a computer screen or TV with a video type camera.

Some have had few issues when the camera shoots at 60 fps, then edit at 30 fps.

Progressive vs. Interlaced is also a factor.

We do have an older pro camera (DV) that has a setting to deal with flicker, however at the expense of some quality.
we still have to deal with  some flicker in post.

Think of it this way;

The camera fires 30 shots per second.

The lens is "open" for 1/300 of a second for each 30 frames (or any time  the camera is set for)

The odds of the camera firing only when the light is all the way on is slim.

Let us know if you find lights that are flicker free.

Regards,  John

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 12:08:21 am by John Livings »

duane massey

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 03:23:18 am »

John gave a great explanation. "Flicker-free" is a marketing term, which I suspect may refer to what the human eye sees, as opposed to a video camera. Cheaper/lower wattage LED's are well-known to flicker visibly when dimmed.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Caleb Dueck

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 11:34:54 am »

Am I the only one not surprised that a low end brand is performing below expectation?   

How does, say, a Philips PL1 handle flicker?  Or ETC's x7? 

Caleb
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: Are the American dj tri7x leds flicker free
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 12:41:38 pm »

Am I the only one not surprised that a low end brand is performing below expectation?   

How does, say, a Philips PL1 handle flicker?  Or ETC's x7? 

Caleb

Why blame the light? I think the camera must be performing below expectations.

I really just think, as Duane said, it is a function of how Leds dim due to their nature. I would rather have some flicker on a small show rig than the potential for problems with dimmers.
Jay Barracato

Derek D Sanchez

• DDSProductions.
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 05:31:02 pm »

Thanks guys for the advice, it's a great light seems built like a tank, I am going to order more of them just bought one to test before I ordered Alot. I will just avoid putting the settings where I know it will cause problems, I will say about 80 percent of the colors didn't cause flicker on camera. I was using a canon 3ti in 1080 mode but haven't tested it in other frame rates. Seeing in how all the video guys at weddings are now using digital slr cameras for video, it's been a while since I seen a video camera at a wedding. Thanks Derek

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 05:31:02 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 22 queries.