ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternatives to JBL Control 25 & 28  (Read 10416 times)

Lee Brenkman

Alternatives to JBL Control 25 & 28
« on: August 01, 2012, 07:39:29 PM »

Hello all,  I'm on of those "live performance" sound guys moonlighting as a volunteer consultant for a museum exhibit that will include some big flat screens and audio playback in three different rooms.

The original design spec called for the purchase of two pair, JBL Control 25 and one pair Control 28.

Surprise! they're over budget and have asked me to suggest lest costly alternatives.

Any suggestions from my learned colleagues in here?

Thanks,
Lee

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Alternatives to JBL Control 25 & 28
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 11:05:54 PM »

http://www.vueaudio.com/i-6-and-i-8/

Doug,

I'd find it hard to believe that the VUE speakers don't cost rather more than the JBLs and this was a "cut the budget" enquiry.

If I had incriminating photos of Ken Berger or Jim Sides, MAYBE  ;)

How ya' doin'?

-gramps

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 11:49:28 PM »

The original design spec called for the purchase of two pair, JBL Control 25 and one pair Control 28.
Was it a specification with product performance requirements or more like an equipment list with model numbers?

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
Alternatives to JBL Control 25 & 28
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 11:59:02 PM »

Look at QSC, if budget needs to be cut more look at the Atlas Sound line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 12:46:02 AM »

Was it a specification with product performance requirements or more like an equipment list with model numbers?

No performance specs, just an equipment inventory.  Having checked out the space and knowing what they need to reproduce, and for how long before the exhibit closes I may just kluge together something to take the place of the smaller Control 25s but the room where the 28s were to be the primary speakers will need something of roughly equivalent quality.

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 01:13:58 AM »

How about something from this line http://www.australianmonitor.com.au/products/subcategory/speakers/installation-100-volt-line-wall-mount

The US distributor is
•UNITED STATES
Starin Marketing Inc
136 Venturi Drive, Chesterton, IN 46304
Phone: 800-846-5606
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.starin.biz

Found a link that has pricing on their site as well.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 01:20:38 AM by Jonathan Goodall »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 07:32:02 AM »

Look at QSC, if budget needs to be cut more look at the Atlas Sound line
At least based on what retailers are asking, the JBL Control 25 is less expensive than both the QSC AD-S52 and the Atlas SM52T.  And while the Control 28 is more than the QSC AD-S82, it is apparently less than the Atlas SM82T.  So based on that pricing information Atlas is, perhaps surprisingly, actually the most expensive option of the three.  Of course how you plan to procure the equipment and the lines for which you are an authorized dealer or reseller are also going to affect the costs involved and perhaps enough to be a deciding factor.

Adding to that, I'm not sure if it is relevant but if these are to be wall mounted then you may want to factor in that the JBLs come with wall mounts while I believe mounts are an additional cost on many competing products.  This may be relelvant to some of the lower cost options such as the Yorkville C series as by the time you account for any performance factors and any additional cost of a wall mount the resulting savings and associated difference in value may be limited.

Also relevant to being an authorized dealer or reseller is that if you are not an authorized dealer or reseller then depending on the how you purchase the products and the manufacturer's policy not all product warranties and/or support may be able to be transferred on to others.  Instead you may be considered the original purchaser with the warranty residing with you and not able to be passed on to another party.  Some distributors and reps may have programs to help legitimate companies that are not dealers address this situation but people often overlook that if someone purchases a product from party who is not an authorized reseller and who in turn purchased it from a retailer or dealer then they may essentially be purchasing used equipment and thus there may not be any associated manufacturer support or warranty.  If you can get a product that would allow you to pass on warranty then that may have value for you and your Client while saving a few dollars for a product that will have no warranty for the Client may not be as much of a savings as it seems.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:40:39 AM by Brad Weber »

Bojan Bajsic

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 10:54:41 AM »

'Roughly equivalent quality' is a loose term. The budget is not great, so price difference will not be great.

The lowest i would dare put in some such space and application still staying cost efficient would maybe be

http://www.ld-systems.com/46-1-ld-sat-62.html
and
http://www.ld-systems.com/260-1-ld-sat-82.html

roughly 30% cheaper, still decent sound and power for the box. also there's a 100v and active option.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:56:27 AM by Bojan Bajsic »

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 11:08:32 AM »

How about Atlas' SM series?
http://www.atlassound.com/ProductCategory.aspx?id=1425&pI=1391

Hello all,  I'm on of those "live performance" sound guys moonlighting as a volunteer consultant for a museum exhibit that will include some big flat screens and audio playback in three different rooms.

Surprise! they're over budget and have asked me to suggest lest costly alternatives.

Any suggestions from my learned colleagues in here?

Thanks,
Lee
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 11:28:28 AM »

How about Atlas' SM series?
http://www.atlassound.com/ProductCategory.aspx?id=1425&pI=1391[/quote]
As I noted previously, dealer pricing may certainly make a difference but in terms of cost from online retailers the SM82T and SM52T appear to cost more than the JBL Control 28 and Control 25.

Kenneth Berger

• VUE Audiotechnik
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 03:51:21 AM »

Doug,

I'd find it hard to believe that the VUE speakers don't cost rather more than the JBLs and this was a "cut the budget" enquiry.

How ya' doin'?

-gramps

The i4.5 and i-2x4.52wau and i6 2 way and a8 2 way set new standards  for performance and value in this segment, Checkout the following links:
I class Range: http://www.vueaudio.com/i-class/
i-class compacts:
i4.5 and i2x4.5 – two way systems :
http://www.vueaudio.com/i-2x4-5-dual-4-5-inch-surface-mount-foreground-system/
i-6 ans i-8 data HTML http://www.vueaudio.com/i-6-and-i-8/

Current US Prices are: VUE-US-RETAIL-Pricelist-AUG008.pdf 2012 (2.1 mb) 4 pages PDF

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 12:34:07 PM »

Doug,

How ya' doin'?

-gramps

Lee, I'd certainly take the time to inquire about VUE pricing. I don't know how the prices compare to JBL, but the speakers are certainly worth the time to find out.

Doug is doing fine, from what I saw.... ;D

Geri O

Jimmy Wright

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 03:13:52 PM »

Call up QSC.  The offer a design spec replacement discount.  If you swap in their speakers in place of whatever the design spec has, they will give you additional % off dealer. 
Jimmy Wright
Tolar AVL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 03:13:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.