ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: speakon nl-4  (Read 3694 times)

Bob Kidd

speakon nl-4
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:55:34 PM »

Ok, have been running srx 728s with speakon nl2 cables and noticed I should be using nl4. Does anyone know of a site that sells speakon nl4 to use with the 728 & 725s? Thanks

Randall Hyde

Re: speakon nl-4
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:10:17 PM »

Ok, have been running srx 728s with speakon nl2 cables and noticed I should be using nl4. Does anyone know of a site that sells speakon nl4 to use with the 728 & 725s? Thanks

I run six SRX 728s cabinets with three 12/4 NL4 cables. Mainly so I only have to run one cable from my amp rack (carrying two circuits) to the speakers and then a short cable (12.5') from one cabinet to the next. NL2 connectors (presumably with 2 conductors) work fine if you're running the cabinet off a single amp (can't image running two cabinets in parallel off the same amp...).  I used to use single (NL2) cables, but the area around the subs is a lot cleaner running 4-conductor cables to two cabinets.

As for where you buy them -- I bought 12/4 SOOW cable at Home Depot and found a site selling NL4 connectors somewhere on the net and made my own cables. Spools of 12/4 are 150' at Home Depot. I typically make 12.5', 25', 30' 40', 50' and 75' cables from these spools.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:18:48 PM »

We typically only buy 4 conductor cables obviously with NL4s on them we use them for bianped or setups when we link out tops and subs. however, with your rig as long as your cables are 12awg and you arent going to biamp then I really wouldn't worry about changing them to NL4 you will not really appreciate any practical difference. Now FYI though NL4 cable mounts will only fit into NL4 jacks (the typical connector on the back of a speaker or amp) NL2 cable mounts will fit into either NL4 or NL2 jacks if you had anything that had NL2 jacks those are worthless and I would definately get rid of those. I ordered some on accident for a install once and didn't know they were backwards compatible. I just love installing things twice (sarcasm)'
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Bob Kidd

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:28:53 PM »

We typically only buy 4 conductor cables obviously with NL4s on them we use them for bianped or setups when we link out tops and subs. however, with your rig as long as your cables are 12awg and you arent going to biamp then I really wouldn't worry about changing them to NL4 you will not really appreciate any practical difference. Now FYI though NL4 cable mounts will only fit into NL4 jacks (the typical connector on the back of a speaker or amp) NL2 cable mounts will fit into either NL4 or NL2 jacks if you had anything that had NL2 jacks those are worthless and I would definately get rid of those. I ordered some on accident for a install once and didn't know they were backwards compatible. I just love installing things twice (sarcasm)' [quo

Thanks, i currently run 2 50ft nl2 from pl380 amp to 728s and 2 nl2 from pl340 to 725s and its been fine. But i noticed in 728 & 725 manual it recommends nl4.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:32:48 PM by Bob Kidd »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
speakon nl-4
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 10:49:15 PM »

If your wire is #12, you could just remove the connectors if wanted and put NL4s on.

Parts express has them. So does audiopile.net

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Michael Martin

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »

Bob,
If you're running passive (using the internal crossovers), the NL2 is fine for that. The schematic from JBL's website shows the second set of pins on the NL4 goes to loop out so you can daisy chain speakers together.
If you decide to bi-amp, the NL4's would be needed to bypass the internal crossover and get access to highs and lows individually (hence the 4 pins..2 for highs and 2 for lows.)

Cheers!
Michael

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.