ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question about LED  (Read 2873 times)

Jason Franco

• Jason
    • led spotlights
question about LED
« on: August 28, 2012, 02:42:57 AM »

I have seen a couple people using these sting type LEDs and creating larger LED Panel Light with 600-1200 LED bulbs on them, nice thing is they can be powered by a 12 volt battery so they are very portable and don't need a power source, perfect for location shooting. Also if you mount them on foam core they are very light so you could pin them to a roof or whatever to hide them...

My question, as good as they sound for the price and the little bit of DIY work, how do you figure they would work? Would they provide enough light to be useful? Thoughts?

Nicolas Poisson

• Paris, France
Re: question about LED
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 08:35:32 AM »

Hi,

As far as I know, one problem with white LEDs is their low quality for color rendering (Color Rendering Index, or CRI, no better than 85% at best). This is not at all a problem for stage back-lighting (often colorful), but this is an issue when shooting.
This is the same problem with the neon lights (well, neon may have additional issues indeed, like flickering etc).

The products you refer to have a CRI of 75% to 80%, which is considered low for shooting (one would like to have better than 90%). However for the reason you mention (portability, ability to run on 12V, low power consumption), they are sometimes used.
If you shoot at 9 in the morning and need to be ready for the newscast at 1:00PM, I guess LEDs are more than acceptable. If this is a documentary, you might prefer something better.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:40:12 AM by Nicolas Poisson »

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: question about LED
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 08:35:32 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.