ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PV118s not working  (Read 2467 times)

chad kaleb

PV118s not working
« on: July 29, 2012, 10:16:11 PM »

So we were playing an outside show with a less then desirable power situation.  We blew the breakers a few times, and had some power surges were everything would get dim.  Now my two pv118s are not working at all.  I plugged into different speakers to make sure it was not any of the cords or the power amp, and they all work fine.  I opened them up, but I could not see anything obviously wrong.  Any suggestions would could be wrong with them.

Paul G. OBrien

Re: PV118s not working
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 10:59:12 PM »

So we were playing an outside show with a less then desirable power situation.  We blew the breakers a few times, and had some power surges were everything would get dim.  Now my two pv118s are not working at all.  I plugged into different speakers to make sure it was not any of the cords or the power amp, and they all work fine.  I opened them up, but I could not see anything obviously wrong.  Any suggestions would could be wrong with them.

Put a multimeter across the speaker drivers terminals inside the box, you should see about 6ohms for an "8ohm" speaker and 3ohms for a "4ohm" version. If they measure open or a really low number they are blown. You could also remove a driver and try to push in on the cone, if it's seized then it's been overheated which is as good as blown and if it moves but makes a scratching/scraping noise it's totally blown. In both cases the cause is overpowering for too long, what amp were you driving them with and was it driven into clipping, or was the input signal driven into heavy compression and/or limiting for extended periods without the amp hitting clipping levels.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: PV118s not working
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 10:59:12 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.