ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ? anyone have EXperience: TOA hx5  (Read 14498 times)

Earl F Young

? anyone have EXperience: TOA hx5
« on: July 27, 2012, 08:08:05 PM »

modular, fixed cabs that could be used in horizontal ~or~ vertical mode. they make joining plates and can be wall or stand mounted, etc... ?

http://www.toaelectronics.com/spk0027.asp

MANY thanks in advance!

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Re: ? anyone have EXperience: TOA hx5
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 07:14:04 AM »

modular, fixed cabs that could be used in horizontal ~or~ vertical mode. they make joining plates and can be wall or stand mounted, etc... ?

http://www.toaelectronics.com/spk0027.asp

MANY thanks in advance!

Yeah, sort of.

Since I first saw and heard them (8+ years ago ?) I thought they were very impressive. I spec'd them for a few projects that didn't get off the ground. End of story.

I dont know why we don't see more of them because they really are very well designed and packaged and you cannot beat the price.

When you say they can be used in horizontal or vertical mode, this should be done very carefully. When oriented horizontally they will provide 60-deg H x 100-deg V at best. There are very few applications where this works well.

Case study: About 4 years ago I was sent photos from a synagogue that had a hodge-podge of loudspeakers added over the years and I was asked why they did not have coverage to all seats. I immediately spotted two HX5 arrays that were oriented horizontally and I told the client to invert them so they were in vertical orientation. Problem solved. Plus there were fewer reflections off the ceiling which resulted in more clarity.

These sound good enough that I think they could be used for small performance systems and for live music in small-to-medium HOW spaces.

Lots of people have pre-conceived notions about certain brands and I think TOA is one that is too easily dismissed much of the time. They do make a lot of so-so products but this line array system deserved to be used much more than it has been. They also have a better, more expensive version; the SR-A. This also should have been far more widely used.... as far as I'm concerned.

HTH
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:48:07 AM by Tom Young »
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 11:14:31 AM »

I've done two installs with the HX5 + FB120 sub-- a larger church using the 8-box vertical array and a small church using the single 4-box array. Using a Behringer DCX2496 for crossover and EQ to TOA's recommended settings, they both sounded great the first time. The horizontal coverage is excellent. Installation options are well thought out. Both churches are very traditional-- no praise bands or anything like that; the systems sound great with voices and recorded music. A very good product for the money.
Scott Hofmann

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 12:00:09 PM »

The horizontal coverage is excellent.
Just wanted to point out two semantics details.  First, speakers have a pattern, coverage relates to how well that pattern works with the listener area and environment.  Second, whether a speaker's pattern is poor, fair, good or excellent typically depends on the resulting coverage and thus is both speaker and room/application dependent.  I simply did not want people getting the impression that the HX-5 or any speaker provides god, bad or otherwise coverage regardless of the application.

And that goes back to the OP.  Earl, are you asking about the HX-5 in any particular context?  They are one of those products that may be a very good option for some situations and a very poor choice for others

Earl F Young

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 12:33:45 PM »

And that goes back to the OP.  Earl, are you asking about the HX-5 in any particular context?  They are one of those products that may be a very good option for some situations and a very poor choice for others

yes, I left my posting slightly vague in terms of (intended) use to see replies from folks who may have actually used and listened to said box(es.)

if i got some, would be non-weather-proof and maybe (up to) two modules per side for portable use. with the bumper bars, they seem like a good fit for going ontop of a dual 18" box, turned on side/ 4' elevation. Not expecting rock & roll concert performance or volume from them; but wondering if they would be versatile enough to put on speaker stands and use for corporate, also...

the price is attractive, and the point & shoot aspect to them (especially with joining plates to attach another cabinet) makes me wonder if i am stuck on pricing or if they are a viable option...?

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 08:58:40 AM »

yes, I left my posting slightly vague in terms of (intended) use to see replies from folks who may have actually used and listened to said box(es.)

if i got some, would be non-weather-proof and maybe (up to) two modules per side for portable use. with the bumper bars, they seem like a good fit for going ontop of a dual 18" box, turned on side/ 4' elevation. Not expecting rock & roll concert performance or volume from them; but wondering if they would be versatile enough to put on speaker stands and use for corporate, also...

You are faced with a few potential problems.

First, with even just one module (4 ldspkrs) this may be an unsteady stack on top of the subwoofer. With two modules you are asking for trouble, safety-wise. I know of no alternative for getting the HX5's safely up in the air (in such a portable application) other than a lift, which makes the system less portable, more time consuming to set up and then strike , more expensive, requires more open floor area, etc.

The other problem is that this is a line array. If it is low enough that the audience is standing within its coverage pattern, the coverage pattern will change at those frequencies which the audience absorbs and diffuses. TOA offers aiming software but I'm quite sure it will not show the effects of the audience in this regard.

The required height (for this not to happen) is not huge but it is great enough that (once again) you will need a way to safely elevate the array (ballpark) at least 8' above floor level. You cannot do this with anything less than a Genie lift with outriggers. You may also want to tilt the array down depending on the layout of the audience and whether there is undesirable interaction with the rear wall.
Tom Young
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Earl F Young

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »

...with even just one module (4 ldspkrs) this may be an unsteady stack on top of the subwoofer... With two modules you are asking for trouble, safety-wise. I know of no alternative for getting the HX5's safely up in the air (in such a portable application) other than a lift... 

how about the HY-ST1 as listed on http://www.toaelectronics.com/images/img_spkr/HX-5_accessories.jpg ? I think hoing "horizontal" would be fine cabinet support; sans any hardware except a non-skid pad..

The other problem is that this is a line array. If it is low enough that the audience is standing within its coverage pattern, the coverage pattern will change at those frequencies which the audience absorbs and diffuses.

there is a near and far field effect to all line arrays, as I understand. Inevitable in some respects?

The required height ... is not huge but it is great enough that ... you will need a way to safely elevate the array (ballpark) at least 8' above floor level. You cannot do this with anything less than a Genie lift with outriggers. You may also want to tilt the array down depending on the layout of the audience and whether there is undesirable interaction with the rear wall.

would an Ultimate TS-110BL http://www.ultimatesupport.com/product/TS-110BL be appropriate for weight and height requirements? Not sure if two modules could be combined using the HY-CN1B (also on accessory page) would fit using a single tripod support..

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 07:52:38 AM »

how about the HY-ST1 as listed on http://www.toaelectronics.com/images/img_spkr/HX-5_accessories.jpg ? I think hoing "horizontal" would be fine cabinet support; sans any hardware except a non-skid pad..

The HY-ST1 might be usable for a single HX5 module. Not sure what you mean by "going horizontal"

there is a near and far field effect to all line arrays, as I understand. Inevitable in some respects?

I was referring to something that has nothing to do with the near and far field response of these loudspeakers

would an Ultimate TS-110BL http://www.ultimatesupport.com/product/TS-110BL be appropriate for weight and height requirements? Not sure if two modules could be combined using the HY-CN1B (also on accessory page) would fit using a single tripod support..

You first need to convert the specified weight of an HX5 into lbs and determine how much that stand can support.

Then you have to look at the kinds of shows you will be doing versus the size and weight of what you intend to elevate and determine if it will be safe (first of all) and then determine if it will be acceptable in other regards
Tom Young
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 07:52:38 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.