ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need to replace/upgrade HOG1000  (Read 13397 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Need to replace/upgrade HOG1000
« on: July 26, 2012, 11:58:49 AM »

okay, our church's HOg1000 is getting long in the tooth, so i'm looking for replacement ideas.

we're currently running 20 mac250 fixtures and 96 channels of conventional dimming.  it's unlikely we will add a lot more yolk lights or any conventional dimming in the future, but led panels and the like are certainly on the horizon.  The hog has 2 universes.  i'm not sure we're gonna ever need a whole lot more than that....

i'm not afraid to jump to a completely different operating system.  the HOG has been fine, and all my guys know how to run it.  but no one is in love with it. 

primary criteria, in order of importance.

1.  reliability.  the HOG hasn't been...

2.  ease of use.  all my lighting programmers are volunteers

3.  price.  absolutely must be less than 10K [i'd prefer around 5K] U.S dollars

4.  i'd prefer an established brand.  we'll have this desk for probably 8-10 years.  i'd like the manufacturer to still be around at the end of that time.

i know there are some software based solutions available, and i'm not totally against those, if they will meet the above criteria.

any suggestions?
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Joshua R Berneking

Re: Need to replace/upgrade HOG1000
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »

We use Jands Vista, I think the S1 or M1 would fall in close to your price range, very easy to use, I am an audio guy and have been able to figure out some basic programing on it. Check out our website you can see some of the worship and arena events we have lit with our Vista. We use the T2, S1, and M1.

http://www.imaginedps.com/photos.html
http://www.jandsvista.com/

Cheers,
Josh Berneking

okay, our church's HOg1000 is getting long in the tooth, so i'm looking for replacement ideas.

we're currently running 20 mac250 fixtures and 96 channels of conventional dimming.  it's unlikely we will add a lot more yolk lights or any conventional dimming in the future, but led panels and the like are certainly on the horizon.  The hog has 2 universes.  i'm not sure we're gonna ever need a whole lot more than that....

i'm not afraid to jump to a completely different operating system.  the HOG has been fine, and all my guys know how to run it.  but no one is in love with it. 

4.  i'd prefer an established brand.  we'll have this desk for probably 8-10 years.  i'd like the manufacturer to still be around at the end of that time.

i know there are some software based solutions available, and i'm not totally against those, if they will meet the above criteria.

any suggestions?

James Feenstra

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 01:23:19 PM »

+1 for jands vista, I use the desks every day and in most situations would take one over a GrandMA

they're incredibly common in the church market and super easy for anyone (even volunteers) to use

a S1 + a 1024 channel dongle will run you about $6000, leaving plenty of room in your budget to hire in a trainer to run a class
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Sean T. Hayes

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 02:50:12 PM »

any suggestions?

Have you looked at any of High Ends new options? We run a Hog3 and have Hog PC with a programming wing. They just came out with Hog4 that may be worth a look.

Sean
-------------------
Sean T. Hayes

A lack of planning on your part does not equal an emergency on my part.

John Fruits

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 07:16:04 AM »

I would say that the first thing to do is get a demo of whatever you are considering. If you can't get a demo, you have to wonder about after sale support.
A couple of other options to consider are the Martin M2GO and M2PC.
http://martinpro.com/product/product.asp?product=m2go
Also, the Congo Kid from ETC.
http://www.etcconnect.com/product.overview.aspx?ID=22039
Both companies have a proven track record, and Martin now has a free download of the software so you can try it out. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:12:32 AM »

I'm not sure about price, but Chamsys's consoles have a very similar operating system to hog consoles.
They can also pixel map out of the box.
Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

DanGlass

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 03:36:48 PM »

+1 on the Chamsys consoles and PC software

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »

I'm not sure about price, but Chamsys's consoles have a very similar operating system to hog consoles.
They can also pixel map out of the box.

quick perusal online looks interesting.  i'd love to get an idea of pricing on these though.  no point in digging into them if they aren't in my price range.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

James Feenstra

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 02:21:25 AM »

quick perusal online looks interesting.  i'd love to get an idea of pricing on these though.  no point in digging into them if they aren't in my price range.
pc wing + mini wing would give you tons of space for about $4000-$4500US + cost of computer
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

John Fruits

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »

The great thing about the Chamsys MagicQ is you can download it and use it free.  It works with the Enttec dongles and Chamsys offers a very cheap $16. dongle (with limitations) for 1 universe. A very cheap way to try it out. 
http://www.enttec.com/index.php?
http://chamsysusa.com/
A lot of people at Controlbooth use it, here is one thread with some more info.
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/8513-chamsys-magicq-other-pc-based-consoles.html
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.