ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ideas for an inexpensive backdrop?  (Read 16875 times)

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Re: Ideas for an inexpensive backdrop?
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 07:25:03 AM »

Black is a terrible BG for video. You would be much better off with a medium gray that can be lit for different looks. This is a great use for movers since they make it easy to change color and patterns. LED wash units that can change color are good too.

Black is a leftover from old theatrical drapes, and on a corporate just makes it look like you don't care, or can't afford to make it look better.

Mac

+1

And....the Contrast between a talking head and a black background can kill I-mag,

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

DanGlass

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 11:03:31 AM »

Nicely put Mac!  +1

James Feenstra

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 12:59:36 AM »

Black is a terrible BG for video. You would be much better off with a medium gray that can be lit for different looks. This is a great use for movers since they make it easy to change color and patterns. LED wash units that can change color are good too.

Black is a leftover from old theatrical drapes, and on a corporate just makes it look like you don't care, or can't afford to make it look better.

Mac
I disagree...a fair number of our corporate clients request a plain black backdrop over the other options we have available, but I suppose it depends on the client/show.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 10:50:15 AM »

I disagree...a fair number of our corporate clients request a plain black backdrop over the other options we have available, but I suppose it depends on the client/show.

My guess is if they're requesting black it's because they haven't seen how much better other colors look, and work as a video background. They are still locked into the belief that black "disappears". It doesn't. I just looks like a big ugly monolith. It's only advantage it that it's easy to find.

Mac

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: Ideas for an inexpensive backdrop?
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 12:33:38 PM »

It's only advantage it that it's easy to find.

Mac

Well black is better than the "bordello" red that seemed to be the only choice at some conference centers.
Jay Barracato

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 01:09:01 PM »

Well black is better than the "bordello" red that seemed to be the only choice at some conference centers.

Not for video it isn't. In corporate shows the IMAG image is very important, and it's pretty hard to get worse than black as a background for video. Bordello Red may be in bad taste, but it will give you a better IMAG shot than black.

Most drape companies, like Drew Whitiker's Drape Kings or SGA can rent you a variety of colors of velour drape. They clean it and maintain it, and provide variety. Why own it?

Mac

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 01:53:53 PM »

Not for video it isn't. In corporate shows the IMAG image is very important, and it's pretty hard to get worse than black as a background for video. Bordello Red may be in bad taste, but it will give you a better IMAG shot than black.

Most drape companies, like Drew Whitiker's Drape Kings or SGA can rent you a variety of colors of velour drape. They clean it and maintain it, and provide variety. Why own it?

Mac

+1

And the day you use a black background for use with an I-mag event.... at least one of talent is going to wear white...and it'll really be a crappy image...   you'll see a cool "floating head" effect.

;D

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »

Well I was commenting based on taste.

Now I know: medium gray.
Jay Barracato

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »

Well I was commenting based on taste.

Now I know: medium gray.

On the other hand, as with all things, it depends...  I think black is always a bad choice on a corporate event, it looks cheesy, and it makes it much harder to change the scenic looks with lighting. It also is very bad for IMAG. In the music business, where you are not worried about a good background for cameras, it will make any lighting beams show up better because of higher contrast. Even in corporate events black can work if you have some set pieces in front of it to make a background that is set off from the black. It can also work well as a blackout curtain with scrim or tuile, or something like that in front of it to take the light.

Nothing is writ in stone.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 04:48:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 26 queries.