ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Whither QSC?  (Read 15982 times)

John Penkala

Re: Whither QSC?
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 02:57:21 PM »

Here is what bothers me the most about QSC. We own a Wideline 10 System and would really like to upgrade from the QSC SC28 to Lake LM26 System processors for our amp racks. This would give us ethernet control, and ability to Run Dante or AES into our amp racks for our drive system. Why haven't we:

"It is not possible to simply take the parameters from a QSC processor, transfer them to another processor and get the same results. Other processor manufacturers use different algorithms and design techniques that will produce a different transfer function even if the settings are substantially the same. As a result, QSC is unable to provide settings or tuning support for our line array systems when used with any processors other than those specified by QSC."

This is quoted direct from the QSC website. Its crap, if I wanna use Lakes to process my Wideline 10s. I feel I should be able to get some support from QSC on roughing in the DSP settings. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Joshua,
          I don't feel it is QSC's responsiblity to support another company's product. If any company should support your application with the Lake processor, it should be Lake, right?  This is why you should own a measurement system. Measure the outputs of the QSC processor and do your best to match its TF on the Lake.

JP

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 03:03:39 PM »

That is a "It's good enough/close enough" answer, and may pre-tell the direction of the company regarding live sound...

I have loved many QSC products, and was a contractor for same. To shrink away from updated acoustic measurement & software support of  halo products - without honest explanation - gives one a good heads-up.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 03:07:43 PM »

Measure the outputs of the QSC processor and do your best to match its TF on the Lake.

That's how you do it.  Save the overlays of each passband and match the Lake to that.  Shouldn't take more than an hour to duplicate.

It might get a little dicey with delay times if the granularity of each DSP delay is dissimilar, but comparing phase should tell you what you need to know.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Joshua R Berneking

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 03:15:46 PM »

This is what we are in the process of doing currently, I have the transfer functions matched up almost perfect however, delay times and time alignment is currently the challenge.

I just think QSC would want to help in the use of their product. I understand they do not wish to support any other product but giving out the FIR filters would not be that difficult. EV has always been helpful in this situation I have talked with EV and they have helped me rough in settings for boxes with Ashly processors, they also were helpful in setting limiter settings based on what amplifiers I was using.

I am just saying my dealing with QSC support on the Loudspeaker side of things has not been pleasant.

That's how you do it.  Save the overlays of each passband and match the Lake to that.  Shouldn't take more than an hour to duplicate.

It might get a little dicey with delay times if the granularity of each DSP delay is dissimilar, but comparing phase should tell you what you need to know.

John Penkala

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 04:21:31 PM »

This is what we are in the process of doing currently, I have the transfer functions matched up almost perfect however, delay times and time alignment is currently the challenge.

I just think QSC would want to help in the use of their product. I understand they do not wish to support any other product but giving out the FIR filters would not be that difficult. EV has always been helpful in this situation I have talked with EV and they have helped me rough in settings for boxes with Ashly processors, they also were helpful in setting limiter settings based on what amplifiers I was using.

I am just saying my dealing with QSC support on the Loudspeaker side of things has not been pleasant.

Turn off any input delays and make note of your Delay Finder setting on each pass band output when doing a TF measurement. That delay measurement number will be the processor latency plus the driver delay. Do this for each passband. The delay numbers are RELATIVE. Therefore, you should compensate for them before programing the new processor.

Example:

HF  .28 ms
LF   .17 ms

Put .11 ms on the HF passband and "0"ms on the LF

To check your work make sure the same RELATIVE difference exists when you measure the bassband outputs of the new processor.

-JP

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:25:22 PM by John Penkala »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 06:56:05 PM »

Chris,
Although I have a love for most things Harmon, and in particular the JBL brand, I'm pretty sure it would be a cold day in hell before I moved from QSC to Crown. QSC amplifiers have without question been one of the most reliable components of every system I have owned and installed. I don't see QSC as "withering". They have their own methods for amplifier management just like many other companies, and in many ways QSC is still a leader in amplifier technology. I suppose I could go on, but old guys get tired easily, so I suggest you go to the link below and read the history of the company.

http://www.qscaudio.com/corporate/history.htm
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

duane massey

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 08:21:15 PM »

QSC is my first choice. I prefer external processing. I'm a simple guy.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog
Whither QSC?
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 10:34:10 PM »

Back at winter NAMM, I had a conversation with a QSC employee about QSC building bigger amps to compete with such amps as the 4 channel Lab Gruppens. He said, "it would be dumb if we didn't, wouldn't it?" nodding his head saying that those are in the works. I sure hope they come out soon. They also hinted about a QSC mixer based of their intel based DSP. Haven't seen anything about that either.

paul bell

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 11:43:09 PM »

Back at winter NAMM, I had a conversation with a QSC employee about QSC building bigger amps to compete with such amps as the 4 channel Lab Gruppens. He said, "it would be dumb if we didn't, wouldn't it?" nodding his head saying that those are in the works. I sure hope they come out soon. They also hinted about a QSC mixer based of their intel based DSP. Haven't seen anything about that either.

Interesting.....

jason misterka

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 03:09:32 AM »

Joshua -

You are trying too hard.

:)

Check out the Load Library v2.8 on the Lab Gruppen website. 

Jason

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 03:09:32 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.