ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dealing with loud Fans?  (Read 10071 times)

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
Re: Dealing with loud Fans?
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 12:05:52 AM »

Darn, I was hoping this thread was going to be about fans with tank tops and tight shorts.

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 01:45:43 AM »

Did a show in a gym last night. While walking through the door the event provider said "I had to put 2 fans on the stage to keep things cool" No problem I thought. This is what I found. Yes they were on all night.
Fun show all the same but the screeming Fans were kind of loud.

Anyone else run into something like this?

Douglas R. Allen

I'm kind of digging those multi-colored lights, even though I think I might have seen something similar for sale at Walmart.  They kind of add a certain "something".  :)

David Parker

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 06:03:33 AM »

One of these giant fans was somehow plugged into my power strip ( one of those $80 Monster power strips) at an outdoor gig in 100+ heat a few weeks ago.  The show stopped ( temporarily) when the power strip failed.  I'm not sure if it was the extra draw from the fan, the heat or if it was just time for the strip to die.  It was hot to the touch.

we have some of those fans at work. We tested a pair of them pulling 23 amps all together.

At the gig I had shut down by one, I was using my distro. I had a 30 amp circuit running 3 QSC PLX 3402 amps. All of those were running subs, 4 ohms stereo. The band's BE was running the system HARD. The added fan put it all over the top and the breaker tripped.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 01:44:27 PM »

Darn, I was hoping this thread was going to be about fans with tank tops and tight shorts.

The Freddie Mercury look?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 08:19:38 PM »

I'm kind of digging those multi-colored lights, even though I think I might have seen something similar for sale at Walmart.  They kind of add a certain "something".  :)

I am surprised no one wrote "WASH ME" on the fan!  (photo #2)

Adam Pace

• Yarbrough's Music, Inc.
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 10:40:45 PM »

we have some of those fans at work. We tested a pair of them pulling 23 amps all together.

At the gig I had shut down by one, I was using my distro. I had a 30 amp circuit running 3 QSC PLX 3402 amps. All of those were running subs, 4 ohms stereo. The band's BE was running the system HARD. The added fan put it all over the top and the breaker tripped.

I sent out a Frat Dance Party DJ show with 2x Yamaha C215v and 2x Yamaha C218v pushed with 2x Yamaha P7000s through a dbx DriveRack 260 all on a Monster Power PM2500 power conditioner. Half way through the gig, the breaker on the Monster popped, cutting the PA. Obviously there wasn't enough draw on the Monster, so I reset the breaker and stayed by the rack to observe. One minute later, breaker popped.

Confused, I looked across stage to see 2 guys positioning one gigantic fan(similar to the OP's) towards the dj. They had removed the gaff protecting the other outlets on the quad box on stage left and had plugged this monstrosity of a motor attached to its propeller on the same circuit as my PA. Red-in-the-face due to their direct defiance of my Gaff Tape defensive line, I redirected them to one of the venues other various circuits. From that point on, the rig cruised on just fine.

Any thought on why such a draw on one circuit would cause a breaker on the same circuit (but not its governing breaker) to flip?

It was years ago, but the thread reminded me of it and I thought I'd throw it out there.

-Adam
Adam Pace
Productions Manager

Yarbrough's Music, Inc.
6122 Macon Road
Memphis, TN 38134

Phone: 901-761-0414
Fax: 901-257-7773
Email: [email protected]

David Parker

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 10:47:45 PM »

I sent out a Frat Dance Party DJ show with 2x Yamaha C215v and 2x Yamaha C218v pushed with 2x Yamaha P7000s through a dbx DriveRack 260 all on a Monster Power PM2500 power conditioner. Half way through the gig, the breaker on the Monster popped, cutting the PA. Obviously there wasn't enough draw on the Monster, so I reset the breaker and stayed by the rack to observe. One minute later, breaker popped.

Confused, I looked across stage to see 2 guys positioning one gigantic fan(similar to the OP's) towards the dj. They had removed the gaff protecting the other outlets on the quad box on stage left and had plugged this monstrosity of a motor attached to its propeller on the same circuit as my PA. Red-in-the-face due to their direct defiance of my Gaff Tape defensive line, I redirected them to one of the venues other various circuits. From that point on, the rig cruised on just fine.

Any thought on why such a draw on one circuit would cause a breaker on the same circuit (but not its governing breaker) to flip?

It was years ago, but the thread reminded me of it and I thought I'd throw it out there.

-Adam

the monster has a 15 amp breaker. The wall outlet likely had a 20 amp breaker. Even if they were the same rating, the monster might have a quicker reaction. Whichever one trips first unloads the other one.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 11:35:26 PM »

One of these giant fans was somehow plugged into my power strip ( one of those $80 Monster power strips) at an outdoor gig in 100+ heat a few weeks ago.  The show stopped ( temporarily) when the power strip failed.  I'm not sure if it was the extra draw from the fan, the heat or if it was just time for the strip to die.  It was hot to the touch.

1st time I ever blew a breaker was with one of those 48" monster fans. 
The motor pulls a lot of power to push those big fan blades.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 09:13:20 AM »

Did a show in a gym last night. While walking through the door the event provider said "I had to put 2 fans on the stage to keep things cool" No problem I thought. This is what I found. Yes they were on all night.
Fun show all the same but the screeming Fans were kind of loud.

Anyone else run into something like this?

Douglas R. Allen
Never mind the fans.  Love those lamps!  Think windscreens.

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 10:07:41 AM »

About 15 seconds into this video you see the best way of dealing with loud fans : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtziAysRZ_o

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 10:07:41 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.