ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad control of sound and lighting console.  (Read 12812 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: iPad control of sound and lighting console.
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 11:58:01 PM »

That would be incorrect.
Remoter is an iOS VNC client that holds the connection when backgrounded.
Some of the others do, as well, but Remoter is my favorite.

I was unaware that iOS would allow a backgrounded app to remain actively connected.  Perhaps this is new-ish, as I don't recall this being possible a couple of versions back...

At any rate, thanks for the update and clarification.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 04:47:45 AM »

I was unaware that iOS would allow a backgrounded app to remain actively connected.  Perhaps this is new-ish, as I don't recall this being possible a couple of versions back...

At any rate, thanks for the update and clarification.

The are are several app states under iOS.  Apps that don't have the screen in use go to background, then they are either suspended or they (eventually) get removed from memory.  A user can't tell if an app is in background, suspended, or out of memory, they still show up as icons in the task bar.  iOS changes app states partially based on what else is happening in the system (is more memory needed, e.g.).

An app can request a reprieve from suspension but I think 10 minutes is the limit.

The net of all this is, some apps may loose their connection if they don't have the screen, some may keep it for up to 10 minutes, and there may be a way to keep it longer (e.g. a GPS app needs to always run).

How apps handle requests to extend their time in background is part of the app's review process to get into the store.
Mark McFarlane

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 04:55:28 AM »

False.  The physical console and all human input accessories are 100% available during the VNC session.

You should read the Digi User Conference forums.

Note my use of the word 'may' in 'may become disabled'.  Most of the remote desktop clients I have used over the years do 'take over'.  I'm glad to hear that isn't a problem here.
Mark McFarlane

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »

That would be incorrect.
Remoter is an iOS VNC client that holds the connection when backgrounded.
Some of the others do, as well, but Remoter is my favorite.

But does the audio console software hold the connection when it's in the background? I still wouldn't do either in an actual show.

Mac

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »

I have never used an iPad before and I am about to try and make it work to control a lighting console and an audio console. There is an app for the lighting console and the audio console will be controlled using VNC.

Is this going to be easy to set up or a nightmare?

I will have a wireless router with the lighting console plugged (hardwired network cable) into the router. And the audio console will also be plugged (hardwired network cable) into the router. All of the equipment is already purchased and on site I just have to figure out how to make it all work together.

Any suggestions of what to do or watch out for? I am most likely not going to be trying to control both at the same time but I would like it to be easy to switch back and forth. 

The audio console is a Avid/Digidesign SC48 and the lighting console is an ETC Congo Kid.

We have an SC48 at the shop and I have been touring with a profile the last couple years.

I cannot speak for the lighting console remote, but I do have quite a bit of experience with iPad remote stuff with digidesign products.

I am currently using a program called iteleport, it allows you to store a configuration for a connection and takes about a couple seconds to connect when the app is launched. This app also gives you the option of controlling a cursor on screen to give you a lot more accuracy vs trying to use your finger as is the case with the yamaha app. Another thing to watch out for with the digidesign stuff is there is a lot of information on the ipad screen and it can be difficult to make small movements and minor changes.

With all that being said, I have mixed quite a few corporate side of stage gigs with the SC48 and iPad remote with success. I also use it everyday to EQ monitors etc on tour.

Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Matt Tudor

• NW Iowa.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 03:28:11 PM »

I have never used an iPad before and I am about to try and make it work to control a lighting console and an audio console. There is an app for the lighting console and the audio console will be controlled using VNC.

Is this going to be easy to set up or a nightmare?

I will have a wireless router with the lighting console plugged (hardwired network cable) into the router. And the audio console will also be plugged (hardwired network cable) into the router. All of the equipment is already purchased and on site I just have to figure out how to make it all work together.

Any suggestions of what to do or watch out for? I am most likely not going to be trying to control both at the same time but I would like it to be easy to switch back and forth. 

The audio console is a Avid/Digidesign SC48 and the lighting console is an ETC Congo Kid.

Had this setup during my gig this week, with the LS9 Stagemix, and an ETC Element. During set-up it was OK, but the the sync time switching between apps would have made it impractical to use during the show. Besides that, both lighting and audio are active jobs that require thinking and focus. I couldn't do a good job doing both simultaneously,  even if the hardware allowed it. The last thing I want to be doing is miss a visual cue cause I was adjusting someone's EQ, or have feedback howling while I'm fading between colors and have to change apps to fix it. Me and my lighting guy both have Ipads, we have each others software loaded, and we run everything on the same network, but we each do our own thing during the show.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 03:28:11 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.