ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RTA shows big drop at 1.25khz  (Read 27327 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: RTA shows big drop at 1.25khz
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2012, 11:40:49 PM »

If the problem is indeed the microphone, you should easily be able play a sweep or a test tone, and not be able to hear this audible 10dB drop as you pass from frequencies below, at, and above your problem frequency. Especially since you say mic position doesn't matter, your ear position shouldn't matter either.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
RTA shows big drop at 1.25khz
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2012, 12:55:27 AM »

Smiley face was of course hyperbole bur not to far off. From what it sounds like there might be an exciter in there as well to give that sparkle sound. Whatever - the nature of the device is contradictory to the concept of EQing a speaker flat. You won't find anyone here with this on the master outs of there rig.

Brian Wombaugh

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2012, 09:42:58 AM »

Thanks David.  That is a good idea.  I actually have another decibal meter that I could use along with a test tone to determine if it shows the same type of db drop.  This would help to confirm whether or not it is indeed a faulty measurement mic.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2012, 11:49:35 AM »

Is this "problem" something you are hearing, or just seeing on an RTA?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Brian Wombaugh

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2012, 12:12:51 PM »

No - Not really hearing anything that stands out.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2012, 03:29:56 PM »

It hasn't really been talked about as much as I expected but an RTA has very limited usefulness for measurement. Especially indoors. I would just move on. The RTA is not the right tool for fine tuning in the room to get the last little bit of improvement.

my $0.02

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2012, 03:43:31 PM »

It hasn't really been talked about as much as I expected but an RTA has very limited usefulness for measurement. Especially indoors. I would just move on. The RTA is not the right tool for fine tuning in the room to get the last little bit of improvement.

my $0.02

No your quite right, an RTA doesn't give any time or phase info, and thats whats really needed here, and would allow us to find out if the problem is because of the crossover.

However the problem is that with it being a passive crossover, even if the user had something more comprehensive to measure with, it would be slightly academic and it wouldn't matter much as he cant do a whole lot with that information. His only choice is to swap polarity on the HF and see if it makes it better, which has been suggested. If it does great, if not then switch it back to the way it was before and unfortunately it'll just have to be lived with.

But yes your quite right, a measurement with a more sophisticated tool would give us more information to work with.

k

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2012, 11:10:46 AM »

Is this "problem" something you are hearing, or just seeing on an RTA?

+1000

I think we've been assisting the OP in beating a deceased equine.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »

+1000

I think we've been assisting the OP in beating a deceased equine.

But we all know that for many people, it's how it looks, not how it sounds..........

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Kent Thompson

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 04:00:09 PM »

I am seeing the same thing in a different pair of speakers from the same manufacturer. I saved the traces and can post them if interested.(don't really want to hijack the thread)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 04:00:09 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.