ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Touring Show File and our Festival Patch  (Read 18757 times)

Ryan Jodrell

Your Touring Show File and our Festival Patch
« on: July 17, 2012, 03:30:12 PM »

So I just wrapped a 3-day, large scale festival as the patch guy and had a few questions for you touring guys with VENUE show files. What is the best way for you to accomodate our festival patch within your show file? I understand (through talking with the visiting techs, and from experiments in the standalone software) that when you soft patch a stage input to your processing channel that the PRE settings do not remain intact. Is there not a way to avoid this, so your processing channel gain/+48v/pad/phase/HPF all remain intact and all that changes is the source? There must be, as this is the first year in 5 years that this festival has been digital that I've had to go through and patch 1-1 at the main snake head.

Any tips?

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Your Touring Show File and our Festival Patch
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 03:40:54 PM »

If it's the same as the PM5D, then the HA gain moves with the soft patch. I ended up writing software to fix this issue.

Most festivals just end up patching 1 to 1 to avoid this problem.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 05:16:27 PM »

Write the preamp settings on the input list.

or

Send the master input list and output assignments to the visiting engineers in advance so they can make a show file before they arrive.

Sheldon may have a more graceful way.

I am interested in this as I will have an SC48 at FOH on my stage for Newport Folk and Newport Jazz.  I have not yet heard if any visiting engineers have Venue files, but I assume they will.  Short changeovers, a small stage, and limited manpower make patching one to one difficult.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Joakim Hammar

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 07:23:47 PM »

I don't see why festivals can not do a 1 to 1 patch.

Vaughn Pease.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 07:52:08 PM »

Ryan, there's an easy way to get around this.
Load the intended show file, then go to your snapshots page and save a snapshot of just the HA on the scope.
Now do your soft patch to match the festival inputs used to the band's channels, and recall the HA snapshot to reset the preamps. Done.
We've been running our festival stage like this for two seasons now, and it works great!

Ryan Jodrell

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 08:58:56 PM »

Hi Vaughn!
I knew it was super simple like this, but trying to explain it to the touring guys this weekend at FolkFest they looked at me like I was from Mars and insisted that I repatch at the snake 1-1, when obviously Terry had made it work for 4 years, I was just never clear on his exact methods.

This is where having the standalone software on site would be a asset, to tweak the show file ahead of time so it's ready to go at line check for the guys. My suggestions to have a laptop and standalone on site were passed over. Next time!

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 09:12:37 PM »

For each of 6 acts a day with up to 48 inputs?

you can

i'll do my best to patch you using the master festival patch fast enough (while the FOH guy and Mons guy soft patch you to your input list order) for you to get a good line check to re-set your gains and various HA settings.

Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

Ryan Jodrell

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 09:17:36 PM »

For each of 6 acts a day with up to 48 inputs?

Exactly this! I have 20 mins at best to repatch AND supervise the changeover and make sure that the correct, pre-planned lines get used, AND troubleshoot for FOH/Monitors at the same time.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 08:52:29 AM »

On most of my festival stages I have anywhere from 15-30 minutes to change over, often with a volunteer crew of stage hands. I don't make the schedule but I'm responsible for keeping it. I'd love to patch the input list 1 to 1 but the reality is the act of doing it is probably going to blow the schedule to get the act on stage on time, and it's going to delay the next change over as well. For the headliner I will consider doing it, especially if they arranged a sound check time before the event begins.

Maybe it would be different if I could get an accurate stage plot and input list for once. On a recent festival stage with 18 acts over 3 days I probably had 3 cases of accurate documentation. Hence the festival patch. Sorry about the inconvenience for BEs but at this level it's full on combat audio. We're going to get every input to the console, but not in the order you're used to. And we're going to keep the schedule.

Matt.

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 09:04:01 AM »

110 degree heat.  12 acts.  15 minute stage changes.  welcome to my world.  anybody suggests I give them a 1 to 1 patch gets bitch slapped.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 09:04:01 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.