ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Outside Gig 800 kids  (Read 15139 times)

Fernando Lopez

Outside Gig 800 kids
« on: March 16, 2011, 09:34:42 PM »

I expect a lot of criticism but I do not have too many options

Help me choose the less worst option please

A Dj that hires me for SR has a gig for 800 kids outdoors

I know my subs cannot handle that amount but what is less worst?

2 Danley TH-118 or
8 JBL JRX118p

Neither of them will handle it properly or should I mix both?

I also have 2 TH-minis

Thanks

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Outside Gig 800 kids
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:43:13 PM »

2 Danley TH-118 or
8 JBL JRX118p

I also have 2 TH-minis

Thanks

Charge him enough to rent what you need OR sub-contract the job to someone who has enough rig and take a percentage for setting it up.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Reggie Kendrick

• Channel Live Productions - raising the bar...
    • Channel Live Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 02:01:10 PM »

2 Danley TH-118 or
8 JBL JRX118p

I also have 2 TH-minis

Thanks
If you don't have too many options or are not able to rent, I'd break the cardinal no mixing of subs rule and do the gig.  Sure the low end will sound muddy but if your crowd is not teRRibly discerning (800 kids), you most likely will have enough loudness.  Save the profits and work on purchasing more TH-118's... sell the JRX.  That DJ that you work with already knows your equipment quality (minus the JRX).

How many and what types of tops will you be running?  What type of music will be played? 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 02:08:28 PM by Reggie Kendrick »
Raising the bar...

Atlanta Wedding DJs
Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 05:38:42 PM »

2 Danley TH-118 or
8 JBL JRX118p
What do you have for amplification with the TH-118s?  And what do you have for power?  Both of those could be factors.

Assuming you mean the JRX118SP, the maximum output for one box is 121dB continuous at 1m with 123dB peak (half space). Four clustered per side would be an absolute total maximum of 133dB continuous and 135dB peak and perhaps a little less than that.  A single TH-118 is capable of 137dB continuous and 143dB peak at 1m and the TH-118 levels apply to the majority of the stated operating range and not just a peak level at some particular frequency.  In addition, the TH-118 has a -3dB spec of 40Hz and a -10dB limit of 28Hz versus 55Hz and 38Hz respectively for the JRX118SP.  So provided you can properly power them, the two TH-118s should be louder and have more extended response.

On the other hand, a stack of JBL subs probably looks more impressive to the kids if that matters.  And if you have the processing, with eight subs you could look at creating a directional array, which may have some benefits.

I would not mix the subs, the resulting physical array size, different types of boxes, etc. combined with the potential difference in output levels between the two different subs could result in minimal, if any, advantage other than providing some redundancy.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:40:21 PM by Brad Weber »

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 09:06:34 PM »

If you don't have too many options or are not able to rent, I'd break the cardinal no mixing of subs rule and do the gig.  Sure the low end will sound muddy but if your crowd is not teRRibly discerning (800 kids), you most likely will have enough loudness.  Save the profits and work on purchasing more TH-118's... sell the JRX.  That DJ that you work with already knows your equipment quality (minus the JRX).

How many and what types of tops will you be running?  What type of music will be played?

The tops would be 4 ZX5s powered by a CP4000S, 2 per channel

Top 40s, latin music, house

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 09:07:52 PM »

What do you have for amplification with the TH-118s?  And what do you have for power?  Both of those could be factors.

Assuming you mean the JRX118SP, the maximum output for one box is 121dB continuous at 1m with 123dB peak (half space). Four clustered per side would be an absolute total maximum of 133dB continuous and 135dB peak and perhaps a little less than that.  A single TH-118 is capable of 137dB continuous and 143dB peak at 1m and the TH-118 levels apply to the majority of the stated operating range and not just a peak level at some particular frequency.  In addition, the TH-118 has a -3dB spec of 40Hz and a -10dB limit of 28Hz versus 55Hz and 38Hz respectively for the JRX118SP.  So provided you can properly power them, the two TH-118s should be louder and have more extended response.

On the other hand, a stack of JBL subs probably looks more impressive to the kids if that matters.  And if you have the processing, with eight subs you could look at creating a directional array, which may have some benefits.

I would not mix the subs, the resulting physical array size, different types of boxes, etc. combined with the potential difference in output levels between the two different subs could result in minimal, if any, advantage other than providing some redundancy.

Thanks for the advise

The amp would be a macrotech 9000i, One TH-118 per channel

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 10:03:28 AM »

Bring all the subs, stacking them for the look and simply use only the TH-118's. Mixing sub boxes would not be wise.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »

Bring all the subs, stacking them for the look and simply use only the TH-118's. Mixing sub boxes would not be wise.
Not a bad idea-except he REALLY REALLY needs to short out the speaker input jacks of any cabinets that are not being used.

The unused cabinets could actually REDUCE the level of the working cabinets at certain freq.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Reggie Kendrick

• Channel Live Productions - raising the bar...
    • Channel Live Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 11:59:51 AM »

Not a bad idea-except he REALLY REALLY needs to short out the speaker input jacks of any cabinets that are not being used.

The unused cabinets could actually REDUCE the level of the working cabinets at certain freq.
If say the 2 TH-118's were clustered and he had the unplugged JRX facade around the Danleys... would the TH-118's still excite the JRX subs thus causing phase issues or reduction of frequencies on the TH-118's?  Would placing the JRX facade a certain distance away prevent this "reduction"?  How about foregoing the JRX's and bringing the TH-Minis instead.  Still a different speaker but possibly the lesser of evils.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:01:57 PM by Reggie Kendrick »
Raising the bar...

Atlanta Wedding DJs
Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

Pascal.Pincosy

• SR Forums
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »

2 Danley TH-118 or
8 JBL JRX118p

I also have 2 TH-minis

Thanks
Neither of your two options will provide adequate amounts of low end for that many people outdoors for bass-heavy genres. IMO you have 2 options:

a) stack the Danleys on one side of the stage and the JBL's on the other. Looks ugly doesn't it? But it will work.

b) do a 3 corner arrangement with the Danleys centered in front of the stage, and two equal stacks of the JBL's on each side on the BACK side of the dance floor. I have used this method a number of times with great success.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.