ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: VER and shows  (Read 14087 times)

Rich Mullen EDGEMan

• www.edgeshowtek.com
VER and shows
« on: July 13, 2012, 10:00:53 AM »

Hello All

Been while since I've been here.

I wanted to ping the community to see who is running into VER out in "show land".

I know there have been rumors & hearsay. I've actually seen a bit more than just that, but wanted to get other opinions & experience.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: VER and shows
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 11:12:24 AM »

Hello All

I wanted to ping the community to see who is running into VER out in "show land".

I know there have been rumors & hearsay. I've actually seen a bit more than just that, but wanted to get other opinions & experience.

If you're referring to Video Equipment Rentals, all the time on corporate and broadcast events
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 11:22:03 AM »

Hello All

What specifically are you talking about?

Mac

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:56:37 PM »

We subrent from them often, it's what they do. A friend of mine works for them in Seattle.

Rumours and hearsay, and what you've seen? A bit vague. What are you talking about?

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 12:52:57 AM »

Mac
Yeah…what he said…

We rent from them often and the only issues we've had recently were in timing.  All equipment has arrived intact, operational, and in 8/10 condition.

Oh…don't get AC power cords from them, unless you like orange/yellow/red/blue/green.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Rich Mullen EDGEMan

• www.edgeshowtek.com
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 11:30:19 PM »

Mac

I'm asking if anyone has seen VER out with techs in VER shirts doing shows? Basically just what I said. Not dry hire, but actually renting AND teching the gear.

There's no trick here. I'm not trying to be cute or coy.

I JUST saw it with my own eyes on a show we were working.

I'm asking a question if anyone else has seen this and I'd like to hear others opinions on the issue.

Rich Mullen EDGEMan

• www.edgeshowtek.com
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 11:42:23 PM »

If you're referring to Video Equipment Rentals, all the time on corporate and broadcast events

Yes - this was a taped broadcast event we just did and VER had gear and techs in shirts. Not just a dry hire.

Rich Mullen EDGEMan

• www.edgeshowtek.com
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 11:54:54 PM »

We subrent from them often, it's what they do. A friend of mine works for them in Seattle.

Rumours and hearsay, and what you've seen? A bit vague. What are you talking about?

I'm talking about me a decade + client of VERs walking into a broadcast event we were doing and seeing VER techs in VER shirts tech'ing the gear for show. If you don't find that disturbing IMO you aren't paying close enough attention.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 11:09:10 AM »

I'm asking if anyone has seen VER out with techs in VER shirts doing shows? Basically just what I said. Not dry hire, but actually renting AND teching the gear.

There's no trick here. I'm not trying to be cute or coy.

I JUST saw it with my own eyes on a show we were working.

I'm asking a question if anyone else has seen this and I'd like to hear others opinions on the issue.

Hello,

Hmmm .... It seems like you're not only being cute and coy, but also being a wise ass.   You post some vague ramblings, then, criticise posters for not knowing exactly what you're hinting about.... then, in the exact same follow-up post, followed by two consecutive posts, you give the answer to the information that you omitted in the first post.

Ok...so... you are ranting that VER is now supplying labor with some of their rental gear?  Is this the jist of your post?  Has VER always been in the DRY rental business, or, have they also supplied other services?  If they are now providing labor...why is it that you think that VER is supplying labor with their gear?  And, are you certain that these laborers are not free-lance workers?

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Rich Mullen EDGEMan

• www.edgeshowtek.com
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 01:43:02 PM »

Hello,

Hmmm .... It seems like you're not only being cute and coy, but also being a wise ass.   You post some vague ramblings, then, criticise posters for not knowing exactly what you're hinting about.... then, in the exact same follow-up post, followed by two consecutive posts, you give the answer to the information that you omitted in the first post.

Ok...so... you are ranting that VER is now supplying labor with some of their rental gear?  Is this the jist of your post?  Has VER always been in the DRY rental business, or, have they also supplied other services?  If they are now providing labor...why is it that you think that VER is supplying labor with their gear?  And, are you certain that these laborers are not free-lance workers?

Hammer

Hammer,

Perhaps this is being misconstrued, but I can't do anything about what people interpret from what I'm intending to write.

I am askin whether anyone finds this new trend disturbing - and yes it's relatively new trend disturbing (couple years maybe) and counter to what has always been thier model of a wholesale rental house that isn't a competitor to the people they serve.

I wasn't trying to be vague but rather leave room for other opinions and interpretation.

Is that straight enough for you?

I am not a newbie in this biz guyz and you can try the smack down bit if you like but that doesn't tell me anything but that you're unwilling to state an opinion.

Does any have an opinion on the issue I have submitted or this topic dead?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »

In business, there is no yesterday.  They've paid you for your services in the past and do not owe you anything today.  If the competition has a better business model than you, they'll get the business.  Bottom line.

Jealousy is a waste of time...........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rich Mullen EDGEMan

• www.edgeshowtek.com
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 02:20:39 PM »

In business, there is no yesterday.  They've paid you for your services in the past and do not owe you anything today.  If the competition has a better business model than you, they'll get the business.  Bottom line.

Jealousy is a waste of time...........

Absolutely right. They are allowed to do whatever is best for thier investors. That's how business works.

Jealous I am not. However, I think it's important that it get said and I was looking for others to chime in on a biz level on this change. They are not what they were and a new direction has been set in VER's business model.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 02:34:14 PM »

Absolutely right. They are allowed to do whatever is best for thier investors. That's how business works.

Jealous I am not. However, I think it's important that it get said and I was looking for others to chime in on a biz level on this change. They are not what they were and a new direction has been set in VER's business model.

I believe these Forums are better suited to discussing technical matters rather than posting vacuous and vague innuendo  regarding the competition. 

What in this thread is of benefit to the community at large? 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rich Mullen EDGEMan

• www.edgeshowtek.com
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 03:08:59 PM »

I believe these Forums are better suited to discussing technical matters rather than posting vacuous and vague innuendo  regarding the competition. 

What in this thread is of benefit to the community at large?

By letting those that are in the AV staging biz know that there's a change on the playing field. That's how.

And Dick - I'm NOT being vague or submitting innuendo at all. I saw it and I said it. Period. It's doesn't ask whether you need a Spyder or SP2 rig, but if you don't think it's relevant - don't reply.

Brian Larson

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 03:41:56 PM »

I don't know anything about this particular company, but everyone I know crossrents from their competitors. It's just part of the business. Get over it.

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »

Hammer,

Perhaps this is being misconstrued, but I can't do anything about what people interpret from what I'm intending to write.

I am askin whether anyone finds this new trend disturbing - and yes it's relatively new trend disturbing (couple years maybe) and counter to what has always been thier model of a wholesale rental house that isn't a competitor to the people they serve.

I wasn't trying to be vague but rather leave room for other opinions and interpretation.

Is that straight enough for you?

I am not a newbie in this biz guyz and you can try the smack down bit if you like but that doesn't tell me anything but that you're unwilling to state an opinion.

Hello,

Most people on this Forum find it easier to answer a question that is clearly and concisely written....we play enough guessing games with our customers...

Now that we've gotten the question from you... No,.. it doesn't surprise me that a rental house would finally offer the services of Techs/Operators along with their Rental gear.  What does surprise me is that it would take this long for them to come to the conclusion that it is another income stream for the Company. 

Every Audio/Video/Lighting/Staging provider that I'm aware of offers the the services of qualified Techs and Operators.  I don't ever recall using VER, but, it could have happened in the past...

Hammer

ps.... find a way to get your name on their list.  These provided Techs may be freelance, contract or full time employees....but...?

Rich Mullen EDGEMan

• www.edgeshowtek.com
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 05:16:41 PM »

Hello,

Most people on this Forum find it easier to answer a question that is clearly and concisely written....we play enough guessing games with our customers...

Now that we've gotten the question from you... No,.. it doesn't surprise me that a rental house would finally offer the services of Techs/Operators along with their Rental gear.  What does surprise me is that it would take this long for them to come to the conclusion that it is another income stream for the Company. 

Every Audio/Video/Lighting/Staging provider that I'm aware of offers the the services of qualified Techs and Operators.  I don't ever recall using VER, but, it could have happened in the past...

Hammer

ps.... find a way to get your name on their list.  These provided Techs may be freelance, contract or full time employees....but...?

I am the owner of an AV provider. That wouldn't work for me. But thx!

I would agree that it's a natural progression. Every biz has a life cycle and all are entitled to make changes that are best for THIER business.

I just think it's important to shine light on a significant change in the marketplace and solicit some opinions from others that work for, or own companies in the corpie AV realm. This does change things significantly for freelancers, producers, rental customers and AV staging providers. The change is different for all but not a small one for any.

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 07:23:33 PM »

I am the owner of an AV provider. That wouldn't work for me. But thx!

I would agree that it's a natural progression. Every biz has a life cycle and all are entitled to make changes that are best for THIER business.

I just think it's important to shine light on a significant change in the marketplace and solicit some opinions from others that work for, or own companies in the corpie AV realm. This does change things significantly for freelancers, producers, rental customers and AV staging providers. The change is different for all but not a small one for any.

Hello,

If you could be a little more forth-coming with the point (whatever that is...) that you're trying to make, it might clear up whatever it is that you're leaving out of your post.   

Again, any of the other Providers that rent Video, Audio, Staging and Lighting that I'm aware of... has been able to provide Operators and Techs along with their gear.

Are you saying that VER will only rent gear with the stipulation that they ALSO provide Operators/Techs with their equipment?  Is this the "significant change" that you're talking about?

Because, I don't see anything they're doing that's any different than any other similar Company...  unless you can give us something that is significantly different..

Hammer

Rich Mullen EDGEMan

• www.edgeshowtek.com
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 08:55:13 PM »

Hello,

If you could be a little more forth-coming with the point (whatever that is...) that you're trying to make, it might clear up whatever it is that you're leaving out of your post.   

Again, any of the other Providers that rent Video, Audio, Staging and Lighting that I'm aware of... has been able to provide Operators and Techs along with their gear.

Are you saying that VER will only rent gear with the stipulation that they ALSO provide Operators/Techs with their equipment?  Is this the "significant change" that you're talking about?

Because, I don't see anything they're doing that's any different than any other similar Company...  unless you can give us something that is significantly different..

Hammer

Hammer,

Refer to my 1st response to you. VER has always 'billed' themselves as a wholesale rental company that doesn't compete with thier clients. I have been told in the past that they 'draw the line' at labor. They did not use to provide labor.

That has changed and it seems a new course has been charted for them. As we've stated earlier that isn't abnormal is the life cycle of businesses, but should be noted to those out in the marketplace.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »

...VER has always 'billed' themselves as a wholesale rental company that doesn't compete with thier clients. I have been told in the past that they 'draw the line' at labor. They did not use to provide labor.

That has changed and it seems a new course has been charted for them...
We might have a subrental from them in the near future - I'll try to remember to see if the delivery guy/gal knows anything about them providing event techs, etc.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Justin Dodd

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 01:51:08 AM »

That's the first Ive heard of this. I would think if they are putting out competing quotes they are going to loose there hold on dry rentals as we and most others typically don't rent from direct competition. If they are supplying labor to production companies like the Crew Source or Video Tech Services does, then it could be another valuable resource to smaller production companies like that I work for. Though I wouldn't want my freelance labor wearing bright blue VER shirts...

Justin

Hello All

Rich Mullen EDGEMan

• www.edgeshowtek.com
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 08:48:21 AM »

That's the first Ive heard of this. I would think if they are putting out competing quotes they are going to loose there hold on dry rentals as we and most others typically don't rent from direct competition. If they are supplying labor to production companies like the Crew Source or Video Tech Services does, then it could be another valuable resource to smaller production companies like that I work for. Though I wouldn't want my freelance labor wearing bright blue VER shirts...

Justin

I've heard rumblings for a while, but for me it is now confirmed. They are doing shows...period. I would agree that in this scenario they stand to loose a good portion of their dry rentals and in the end that's what I'm curious about from this community. How does this reality affect your decision on where/who to use as your dry rental provider?

The shirts are (or were) RED.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 10:13:21 AM »

I've heard rumblings for a while, but for me it is now confirmed. They are doing shows...period. I would agree that in this scenario they stand to loose a good portion of their dry rentals and in the end that's what I'm curious about from this community. How does this reality affect your decision on where/who to use as your dry rental provider?

The shirts are (or were) RED.

On the audio side of things, a couple of large manufacturers were offering "demo" gear to end users (along with factory tech support) so they could showcase their wares while allowing the end users "free" gear and the ability to underbid shows they probably had no business taking on anyway.  Not surprisingly, existing owners of those products and providers with other brands were not amused... but it was the existing customer base that complained the loudest.  At least one of those manufacturers has mostly discontinued such practices when current owners threatened to sell off their gear and replace with other brands.  The sell off would have diluted the sales of new gear...

There are lots of ways both rental shops and manufacturers are muddying the waters of their traditional ways of doing things, but if VER is pissing you off, don't rent from them.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Cory Ramsey

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 02:32:58 PM »

I know this topic is dead, but the thread has been stuck in my mind for a while... I FINALLY remembered to ask my contact at VER.
They are strictly a rental company. They do not supply labor.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 02:32:58 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 23 queries.