ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Stage Plots  (Read 29600 times)

Rufus G. Crowder

Stage Plots
« on: July 11, 2012, 08:08:10 PM »

Interested to know what to use for providing stage plots and input lists for providers when asked???  I own a Mac Book Pro and would like to use this to construct one.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Stage Plots
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 08:34:27 PM »

I may be missing something but any modern word processor should work fine. I just use line drawings on a stage plot. I never felt any need for fancier graphics.
Jay Barracato

Rufus G. Crowder

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:40:28 PM »

I may be missing something but any modern word processor should work fine. I just use line drawings on a stage plot. I never felt any need for fancier graphics.
Understood.  My into was to also know what a some providers prefer.  Fancy graphics with names or basic as you mention.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 08:57:27 PM »

Understood.  My into was to also know what a some providers prefer.  Fancy graphics with names or basic as you mention.

I hate cute graphics on stage plots. Give me boxes and circles to show where all the instruments and vocals go, with dimensions if possible. Monitor mixes should be shown as well. A second page with the input list with use, mic, channel patch, and any FX or insert notes.

Mac

Rufus G. Crowder

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 09:51:16 PM »

I hate cute graphics on stage plots. Give me boxes and circles to show where all the instruments and vocals go, with dimensions if possible. Monitor mixes should be shown as well. A second page with the input list with use, mic, channel patch, and any FX or insert notes.

Mac
Thanks Mac.  That makes it easier!  I was just looking at Stage Plot Pro for Mac (intosh that is:)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 10:41:53 PM »

Thanks Mac.  That makes it easier!  I was just looking at Stage Plot Pro for Mac (intosh that is:)

For a stage plot, here is one I did for the Steve Reich Ensemble. The patch list reflects several pieces performed over 2 days. A, B, C, and D were 9pr subsnakes that stayed in place for all the pieces.

Mac

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 10:48:43 PM »

Interested to know what to use for providing stage plots and input lists for providers when asked???  I own a Mac Book Pro and would like to use this to construct one.

I get asked what my fax number is about once a month! Are you kidding me?

Please be sure to include contact info on the plot and keep it 8.5 x 11.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 10:58:35 PM »

The very best stage plots I receive have the plot drawn in a CAD program complete with dimensions.  Rectangles represent risers and amps, vaguely monitor shaped polygons represent wedges with a mix number within the shape.  Circles represent mics.  Every object on the plot has a legend including AC drops.  The input list is on the same page usually in two columns to fit below or above the plot.  This way there are no lost pages and generally less confusion.  Input lists done on spreadsheets are ideal with columns for the input description, mic, stand, main snake number and an empty column for drop box numbers ( very handy that last part, different companies have different drop box channel counts ).  AppleWorks allowed mixing graphics and spreadsheet elements as well as a library of objects but it hasn't been available in years.  MS excel and Apples Numbers program allow importing a graphic plot created in another program to be laid over a portion of a spreadsheet and thus that same effect can be had.

The worst stage plots I get have photo images of drums and keyboards pasted into place.  Grrrrrr

Another major gripe is monitor mix cues in a sort of stacking order included on the input list or plot.  That should be a separate page with a sentence or two describing the desired levels in each mix.  The input list and plot might get passed out to three or four people on a large show.  The monitor mix details are for one person.

Ha, spent too much time typing. Mac nails it of course.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:00:33 PM by Riley Casey »

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog
Stage Plots
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 11:30:31 PM »

I'll add that it needs to be in black and white. It seems obvious, but I've gotten printed plots where instead of red and blue boxes representing something, it's just gray boxes.  Very annoying.

jason misterka

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 07:03:11 AM »

And it seems obvious, but put the band name on the plot.

At least one or two plots per festival do not have it on there.  It is of course on the file name but what good does that do you once it is printed and in a pile of other plots to be distributed to techs...

Jason

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 07:03:11 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.