ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 JBL MRX528s VS 2 JBL SRX728S  (Read 26361 times)

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
4 JBL MRX528s VS 2 JBL SRX728S
« on: July 11, 2012, 04:06:59 PM »

I currently have 4 JBL MRX528s and am considering switching over to the SRX728s because I have heard really good things about those subs and I need some subs that hit lower frequencies and are just tighter hitting in general. Currently I am running 2 XTi6000s in stereo doing 2100 watts to each of the MRX528s. I would look at doing the SRX728S in bridged mono off of each XTi6000 to make sure that I am getting enough power to each speaker. The question I have is will it be worth it to go from 4 subs to 2? If I had the money up front I would go ahead and but one of the SRX728s to do a side by side comparison of it vs 2 of the MRX528s.

Can anyone help me out with an opinion? Unfortunately my funds are rather limited right now so I would be selling the 4 MRX528s to purchase the 2 SRX728s plus a little extra cash on my part most likely. I just want to make sure that I'm making the right decision on this one!

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
4 JBL MRX528s VS 2 JBL SRX728S
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 05:00:50 PM »

You could Rent 2 SRX 728s, and see if you can make your gigs work with them for a while. You should be able to rent a set just about anywhere. If they work fine, get them and save up for the second pair if appropriate.

Questions: Do you always use all 4 MRX? How much "rig for the gig" do they feel like? What are your business competitors bringing? What kind of application (EDM/rock)?

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Re: 4 JBL MRX528s VS 2 JBL SRX728S
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:33:16 PM »

I currently have 4 JBL MRX528s and am considering switching over to the SRX728s because I have heard really good things about those subs and I need some subs that hit lower frequencies and are just tighter hitting in general. Currently I am running 2 XTi6000s in stereo doing 2100 watts to each of the MRX528s. I would look at doing the SRX728S in bridged mono off of each XTi6000 to make sure that I am getting enough power to each speaker. The question I have is will it be worth it to go from 4 subs to 2? If I had the money up front I would go ahead and but one of the SRX728s to do a side by side comparison of it vs 2 of the MRX528s.

Can anyone help me out with an opinion? Unfortunately my funds are rather limited right now so I would be selling the 4 MRX528s to purchase the 2 SRX728s plus a little extra cash on my part most likely. I just want to make sure that I'm making the right decision on this one!

What's the goal here?  Subs that play lower and sound tighter, or do you want louder?  Two SRX728's will play lower and have a 'tighter' response than the MRX, but will likely not be louder than four MRX.  What type of gigs are you using them for?

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 07:12:03 PM »

Questions: Do you always use all 4 MRX? How much "rig for the gig" do they feel like? What are your business competitors bringing? What kind of application (EDM/rock)?

I haven't found any places in the immediate vicinity to rent from unfortunately. I found two for $900/ea which I think would be a really good deal.

I don't always use all 4. It depends on the gig but for larger gigs I use all 4. I have 4 MRX525 that I have on top of them. I have a mobile production company and do anything from dance/electronic to rock to hardcore. Basically anything.

What do you mean "rig for the gig"? From looking at SPL levels of the two different speakers and the difference in wattage I would still think that the SRX would be louder even against two MRX subs.

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 07:14:54 PM »

What's the goal here?  Subs that play lower and sound tighter, or do you want louder?  Two SRX728's will play lower and have a 'tighter' response than the MRX, but will likely not be louder than four MRX.  What type of gigs are you using them for?

The main goal is for overall better sounding bass. Hit tighter and lower. Louder would be nice too. From looking at SPL levels and the power output that will be hitting the SRX (6000 watts) vs the amount hitting the MRX (2100/ea) I would think that the SRX would also be louder as well but I may be wrong.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 08:06:05 PM »

The main goal is for overall better sounding bass. Hit tighter and lower. Louder would be nice too. From looking at SPL levels and the power output that will be hitting the SRX (6000 watts) vs the amount hitting the MRX (2100/ea) I would think that the SRX would also be louder as well but I may be wrong.
Part of the problem, especially if you are running longer cables, is that at 2 Ohms the damping factor is killing you. Bridging the amps and running them at 4 ohms will help a little (you can use slightly longer cables), but damping factor issues could have something to do with the sloppy bass you're getting.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 09:53:19 PM »

Part of the problem, especially if you are running longer cables, is that at 2 Ohms the damping factor is killing you. Bridging the amps and running them at 4 ohms will help a little (you can use slightly longer cables), but damping factor issues could have something to do with the sloppy bass you're getting.

I am running the MRX at 4 ohms each. Running the XTi6000 in stereo doing 2100 watts at 4 ohms to each speaker. I have 2 XTi6000s. Well actually 4. 2 of them for 4 subs and 2 of them for 4 mains. Cable lengths are not more than 100' and 12gauge. Typically 25 or 50' though.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 08:27:52 AM »

Those are 1kHz ratings and hopefully you don't run 1kHz to your subs, so the actual ratings in your use would be a little less in both cases.  But just using those numbers and the published sensitivity gives 130dB per MRX528S and 136dB per SRX728S, so if you compare two MRX528S boxes right next to each other so that they acoustically couple to a single SRX728S it's basically a wash.  However, the SRX728S boxes would be running closer to their and the amps' limits meaning the practical output in some usage might turn out to be a bit lower.  But that is just the calculated output level and not the preceived loudness.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 09:48:35 AM »

What do you mean "rig for the gig"? From looking at SPL levels of the two different speakers and the difference in wattage I would still think that the SRX would be louder even against two MRX subs.

"rig for the gig" comes from something I started saying about gear a long time ago.  "Enough Rig for the Gig"  means that you have both the coverage and output necessary to meet the demands of the act, audience, promoter and Band Engineer.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 11:06:15 AM »

"rig for the gig" comes from something I started saying about gear a long time ago.  "Enough Rig for the Gig"  means that you have both the coverage and output necessary to meet the demands of the act, audience, promoter and Band Engineer.

+1..

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 11:06:15 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.