ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LS9 failure  (Read 3520 times)

Jonathan Gaines

LS9 failure
« on: July 06, 2012, 01:31:17 AM »

Working events for the 4th of July and using an LS-9. Both days, it comes a thunderstorm.

Working under tent, with tarps, so rain getting in the console was not an issue.

Electrical service was on a tie in with a dedicated/ confirmed ground.

The systems were running during the rain, under tarps, but with low level music to keep the cones moving and avoid any condensation build up. No problems through the rain "delay"

At the end of the delay we un-tarp and begin verifying that signal lines on the stage are dry and secure and that is when I notice that the LS-9 is doing the following.

1.) No on/off, SEL, or SOLO lights or function on channels 17-32. However these channels were passing audio as the iPod was plugged in on 29-30

2.) Pushing buttons in the "Display Access" section will sometimes get you the desired screen sometimes not.

3.) Occasionally pushing some buttons offers only "HElp File Not Available"

4.) "Home" key non-responsive at some times.

Thoughts?

If it is an electrical issue/ spike. Am I safe as a small rental company to get it repaired and continue to rent it out?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: LS9 failure
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 08:06:49 AM »

What happened after you re-booted the console ?
If the problems cleared, I would vote for "Random Electrical Interference"
A UPS may help, but if static caused the problem in the console itself, not so much.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Jonathan Gaines

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 08:29:30 AM »

What happened after you re-booted the console ?
If the problems cleared, I would vote for "Random Electrical Interference"
A UPS may help, but if static caused the problem in the console itself, not so much.

After reboot, the console continued the same issues. No change. I had hoped that rebooting would solve things as well.

Understood on the UPS, but I am fearful that we may be facing a static issues. I have seen an LS9 fail before in a church, with a UPS but because of static.

I am primarily concerned about the long term reliability of the console at this point also.

Thanks

Rex Ray

• Clair Global
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 09:06:57 AM »

After reboot, the console continued the same issues. No change. I had hoped that rebooting would solve things as well.

Understood on the UPS, but I am fearful that we may be facing a static issues. I have seen an LS9 fail before in a church, with a UPS but because of static.

Console was on while covered? I'm voting excessive heat. Rex

I am primarily concerned about the long term reliability of the console at this point also.

Thanks

Scott Helmke

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 11:37:44 AM »

I wouldn't rule out water damage - if these consoles have a weak point, it's water through the front panel.  The symptoms sound a lot like moisture damage, or at least moisture-caused malfunction.

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 01:53:34 PM »

I agree on the water damage. We had our first LS9 get rain water in it. I thought it was dried out until I opened it up and found a ton of corosion. Open it as soon as you can ad try to dry everything off. Spray DeOxit on everything. Praying also helps...

See if anything is growing on the boards. The acid that is in rainwater these days eats the shit outta circuit boards.

Good luck.

It cost me a fair amount to repair that mixer. It is still in use and it works flawlessly. Gotta keep them out of the rain...

Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

Jonathan Gaines

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 05:01:19 PM »

So I opened up the case on the console when we got back in and let it sit in the shop building for a full day. There is NO air in the shop area, so it got plenty warm.

We powered it on and worked perfect! So condensation was NOT my friend.

I let it sit powered up for most of an afternoon and it still was fine. I have a small show Thursday and will take it along and see how it does.

Thanks for all the help and conversation.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 05:01:19 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.