ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: From Adat to Dante, upgrade worth it?  (Read 8828 times)

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
From Adat to Dante, upgrade worth it?
« on: July 08, 2012, 08:41:44 PM »

Hi,

We use a LS9-32 with two my16-at cards outputs into a M-audio Profire Lightbridge into Pro Tools and back to virtual soundcheck. We had many problems with the newest profire firmware, with audio glitches and drops, so we went back to the last OSX Snow Leopard firmware version. Since this OSX will soon be discontinued by Apple we will be forced to upgrade to Mountain Lion and because of that we think of upgrade from adat to dante using two MY 16 AUD cards. Do you think this will worth it? Is there any problems with Dante cards and Dante Virtual Soundcards other than its single computer license?
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: From Adat to Dante, upgrade worth it?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 09:03:44 PM »

Hi,

We use a LS9-32 with two my16-at cards outputs into a M-audio Profire Lightbridge into Pro Tools and back to virtual soundcheck. We had many problems with the newest profire firmware, with audio glitches and drops, so we went back to the last OSX Snow Leopard firmware version. Since this OSX will soon be discontinued by Apple we will be forced to upgrade to Mountain Lion and because of that we think of upgrade from adat to dante using two MY 16 AUD cards. Do you think this will worth it? Is there any problems with Dante cards and Dante Virtual Soundcards other than its single computer license?

In addition to the 2 cards you will need an appropriate Ethernet switch to plug the computer and the 2 cards into. The cards do not daisy chain.

If you can sell your ADAT cards and buy the Dante cards for less than it would cost to replace your Profire it is probably a good idea. I believe there will be more Dante products as time goes on, and the ability to connect to them will pay off.

There have been no issues that I am aware of, and you are only talking about 32x32. You should be able to record and playback 64x64 via the VSC.

If you are using the system for live send and return of effects being run on your computer you will probably be limited to reverb and delay effects because the send and return latency is probably too long for anything else. For playback and record, the latency should be irrelevant.

Mac

Rick Earl

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:24:02 PM »

Is there any problems with Dante cards and Dante Virtual Soundcards other than its single computer license?

I've been using Dante cards and VSC for about a year and a half now with no issues.   I am actually getting ready to expand my Dante network to multiple venues across campus.    Using VSC for virtual sound check is part of the teaching plan for the new live sound course we are developing.

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 09:27:21 PM »

Thanks Mac. I know I would need a Switch. I don't intend to send effects fro the computer, but I thought Dante lantecy was really low, right?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:36:48 PM »

Thanks Mac. I know I would need a Switch. I don't intend to send effects fro the computer, but I thought Dante lantecy was really low, right?

Dante network latency can be low (you chose the latency), not the VSC.

Mac

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
From Adat to Dante, upgrade worth it?
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 09:46:12 PM »

Dante has pretty low latency for a digital network but it can still be significant if you use it for FX.

I did what you are proposing. Last year I replaced my HD24 recorder and MY16-AT cards with a pair of Dante cards in my LS9.
I use Reaper on my MacBook to record 32 tracks and play it back.
I use a NETGEAR N600 series router. It also serves as my wifi for remote mixing.
I am very happy I made the switch. I have not tried this with Pro Tools.
One thing to be careful of is to be sure all the software you use (including the Dante bits) will work with the OS version you use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 10:33:39 PM »

how did a change in firmware on your m audio interface relate to moving back to snow leopard and how is apple forcing you to Upgrade to mountain lion?  Production computers aren't like your surf the web personal machine with all the latest bells and whistles. Once you find a stable configuration stick with it until some irresitable force compels you to change it.  The usual time line for computer OS updates is such that Mountain Lion itself won't be sufficiently stable with a reliable inventory of third party drivers until version 10.8.5.  Stick with what works until it doesn't.

Hi,

We use a LS9-32 with two my16-at cards outputs into a M-audio Profire Lightbridge into Pro Tools and back to virtual soundcheck. We had many problems with the newest profire firmware, with audio glitches and drops, so we went back to the last OSX Snow Leopard firmware version. Since this OSX will soon be discontinued by Apple we will be forced to upgrade to Mountain Lion and because of that we think of upgrade from adat to dante using two MY 16 AUD cards...

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 09:27:51 AM »

how did a change in firmware on your m audio interface relate to moving back to snow leopard and how is apple forcing you to Upgrade to mountain lion?  Production computers aren't like your surf the web personal machine with all the latest bells and whistles. Once you find a stable configuration stick with it until some irresitable force compels you to change it.  The usual time line for computer OS updates is such that Mountain Lion itself won't be sufficiently stable with a reliable inventory of third party drivers until version 10.8.5.  Stick with what works until it doesn't.

When I updated to the latest fm version there were many errors in recorded audio. Apple is not forcing me to upgrade. The thing is I use an iMac to record and will be impossible to carry a 21" screen around venues when the summer arrive here in Brazil. That's why I'd need a laptop and I cannot find a good used one with Snow Leopard.

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 09:30:09 AM »

Dante has pretty low latency for a digital network but it can still be significant if you use it for FX.

I did what you are proposing. Last year I replaced my HD24 recorder and MY16-AT cards with a pair of Dante cards in my LS9.
I use Reaper on my MacBook to record 32 tracks and play it back.
I use a NETGEAR N600 series router. It also serves as my wifi for remote mixing.
I am very happy I made the switch. I have not tried this with Pro Tools.
One thing to be careful of is to be sure all the software you use (including the Dante bits) will work with the OS version you use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips! How do you use a router to combine the two Dante cards?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 05:39:31 PM »

Thanks for the tips! How do you use a router to combine the two Dante cards?

My N600 router has a built in switch with 4 ports and an "Internet Port" which I do not use (my personal choice is to NEVER connect my sound system networks to the Internet - except at the shop through a trusted firewall).
The 4 ports are used as follows
1 - ethernet port on LS9
2 - Dante card in slot 1
3 - Dante card in slot 2
4 - MacBook Pro for Reaper recording

My tablet connects to the 5gHz wireless for remote control
The 2.4gHz network is turned off
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 05:39:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.