ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Having a problem with subs....  (Read 17375 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Having a problem with subs....
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2012, 07:48:58 pm »

make sure the adapter is not a transformer.  I've seen this!

I have not seen a transformer adapter in a F-F tube, they would be in a F-M tube. The only problem with having a transformer in line would be if it is a cheesy little transformer that saturates at a relatively low level with sub frequencies.

Mac

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2012, 07:57:56 pm »

I have not seen a transformer adapter in a F-F tube, they would be in a F-M tube. The only problem with having a transformer in line would be if it is a cheesy little transformer that saturates at a relatively low level with sub frequencies.

Mac
And even at full range freq.

i remember the first time I ran into this.  There was this "weird sound" coming through a friends system.  Not really "distorted (clipped)", but it sounded compressed (back when compressors weren't common at the club level and a bit "fuzzy"-but not bad.

They were using it to send an unbalanced signal down the snake (converting to balanced) and then to the amp.

When I replaced it with a much larger transformer-the signal really cleaned up and had much more dynamic range.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mark McFarlane

• Middle East
    • Arkose Records
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 05:40:44 am »

On the EQ everything ABOVE 120khz is turned down, and between 20khz-120khz its set in a frown shape with 60khz being the highest set freq on the EQ...

How do you have 'every thing above 120 'turned down' and from 120-20 'set in a frown shape'.  This is contradictory.  THose frequencies are either turned down or they are a frown, they can't be both.

As others have said, cable around the EQ (physically bypass it) and try again.
Mark McFarlane
ARKOSERECORDS
Turn down what's too loud.

J. Taylor Webb

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 08:43:15 am »

On the EQ everything ABOVE 120khz is turned down, and between 20khz-120khz its set in a frown shape with 60khz being the highest set freq on the EQ. Yeah with the powered sub...samething, you couldnt hear it at all really. You literally would have to be like 3-5feet in front of it. With the powered sub we ran it directly to the sub from the mixer because it already had a built in crossover...and it performed way better when we demo'd it at Guitar Center.

If you're getting the exact same results from the powered sub, (again, not really sure w/o knowing model and wattage etc. ) you might want to check the output at the mono out on the board. I'd be suspect of the B....r board. Are there any selectors for the mono out signal?
If you're by-passing the EQ , amp, cables, and speakers, and still way low output, consider  hooking up the subs to another output, even if a temp test. See if you get any better levels from an aux out or such, just as a test. Even running a full range signal into the EQ/amp/speakers setup might give you an idea if the mono out is bad.
Taylor Webb

Terence Gray

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2012, 03:57:55 am »

As you can see, I am new to this forum, so do not know if it is possible to post photos, but a picture is worth 1000 words. Any chance of taking photos of the EQ, board and amp settings? It would make things so much clearer.

Terry

Scott Bolt

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2012, 10:49:54 am »

Start with basics....

Just the mixer, one amp/channel, and one top running full range.  Make sure this works FIRST.

Then add the other top (no cross over, no eq, just mixer->amps->speakers).

Then, put the cross-over in and use the LF amp in normal (not briged) mode into only 1 sub and the HF amp into one top.

Hopefully somewhere along this path you will find something that isn't working right and report it ;)

As an aside, those subs aren't going to put out much of anything even when working properly.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2012, 10:49:54 am »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.