ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powering set-up... racks are 5-15 but might need to run off of 3-Phase  (Read 1790 times)

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

In the past year or so my small business has really grown and now I need to get power correctly from multiple source styles. A year ago, I only needed to plug my PA system into 2-3 standard wall outlets (15/20 amp/120v) and be fine with that.  I even had a couple places have a 14-50 Range plug for me to draw power from and I built a small distro panel that took the 14-50 power and split it into 6 5-15 20amp outlets.

Now that I’ve grown some and I am getting more exposure (higher profile gigs). With that I need to update my power situation so it is Professional and doesn’t raise any eyebrows. So I am in planning phases of rebuilding my power system.

Sometimes I have wall outlets for power and then other times I may have 3-Phase 208v to plug into and I need to be able to cover everything in-between. With that in mind, all my racks are wired with Edison/5-15 plugs.

I am looking at having 2 PDs built; a Cali Plug (120/240v 50amp, CS63##) and then a 3 phase 5 wire in.
- Small Distro: I am looking at a Rack Box with a CS63## in/thru with 6 20a breakers and 6 duplex Edison on the rear.
- Large Distro: I am looking at 5-Wire CamLock in and then have it split to 3 Cali plugs with the possibility of L14-30 and Edison outlets (breakers equal to the plugs). How do I size up the main breaker?

With my CS63## plugs I am running 4ga/4c SEOOW, I know its overkill but I have a 250’ spool. For the CamLocks I am looking at purchasing #2 or 2/0 awg Type SC cable.

How does everything look so far?

If I need to use bare wire tie in and they only have 2 Hots (L1, L2, N &G), what is the correct way to do so? Assume that I have my small distro with Cali Plugs.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

Input breaker = lesser of input connector & input feeder cable.
So, a CS connector with 10-4 in to it gets a 30a breaker but 4-4 gets a 50a breaker.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Powering set-up... racks are 5-15 but might need to run off of 3-Phase
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 07:11:28 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.