ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the best way to sell equipment?  (Read 7263 times)

Matt Merritt

What's the best way to sell equipment?
« on: July 06, 2012, 11:53:30 PM »

I live in a town of about 100,000 people, and am finding myself in the position for the first time needing to sell equipment, since I am purchasing a new Danley system.   ;D  I have Community SLS tops that weigh 130+ pounds and SBS subs that weigh 220.  Plus other smaller gear, including some 70-pound EV speakers, monitors, plus amps and eq's and such.  I'm pretty sure that nobody in town is in the market for the bigger, heavier gear, and I'm about three hours from Dallas, and further from other bigger markets.  The smaller stuff (processors, eq's, compressors, wireless mics, etc.) are simple to ship, but the larger, heavier stuff, well, not so much.

I see four or five options:

1.  Use the marketplace here, Soundbroker, or Ebay, and just assume that if anyone wants the gear, they'll need to come to me and pick it up.  (BTW, which of the above sites is best, or is there another that you recommend?)

2.  See if there is a big sound company in a large market who is willing to sell my equipment for me for a commission.  (Do they generally sell on commission?)

3.  Find a way to ship it.  (Not a great option, in my opinion, plus the purchaser would want to know how much shipping would be.  How would I find that out ahead of time?  Then there's boxing it up or preparing it for shipping in some other way.  Pretty big hassle all around, in my opinion.) 

4. Rent a truck or trailer and take it to the buyer myself.  (Fine if they aren't too far away...)

5. Maybe find some auction place that regularly handles this type of gear.  (Anyone know of such an outfit?  Anyone done this before?)  I'm afraid that I wouldn't get the best price for my gear with this option, plus I'm thinking their commission would be high.  Still have the obstacle of getting the equipment to the buyer, or expect them to come to me to pick it up.

So, I am seeking advice from you people (no slur intended), because with all the experience of you guys in the forums, I'm sure many have had to sell gear.  Some of you are surely in smaller markets, and have faced this situation before.  Even those of you in larger markets might have some words of wisdom, too.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any of the above options better than the rest?  Any I should avoid doing?  Any other ideas?

THANKS!

Anthony Forchielli

Re: What's the best way to sell equipment?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:59:54 PM »

I live in a town of about 100,000 people, and am finding myself in the position for the first time needing to sell equipment, since I am purchasing a new Danley system.   ;D  I have Community SLS tops that weigh 130+ pounds and SBS subs that weigh 220.  Plus other smaller gear, including some 70-pound EV speakers, monitors, plus amps and eq's and such.  I'm pretty sure that nobody in town is in the market for the bigger, heavier gear, and I'm about three hours from Dallas, and further from other bigger markets.  The smaller stuff (processors, eq's, compressors, wireless mics, etc.) are simple to ship, but the larger, heavier stuff, well, not so much.

I see four or five options:

1.  Use the marketplace here, Soundbroker, or Ebay, and just assume that if anyone wants the gear, they'll need to come to me and pick it up.  (BTW, which of the above sites is best, or is there another that you recommend?)

2.  See if there is a big sound company in a large market who is willing to sell my equipment for me for a commission.  (Do they generally sell on commission?)

3.  Find a way to ship it.  (Not a great option, in my opinion, plus the purchaser would want to know how much shipping would be.  How would I find that out ahead of time?  Then there's boxing it up or preparing it for shipping in some other way.  Pretty big hassle all around, in my opinion.) 

4. Rent a truck or trailer and take it to the buyer myself.  (Fine if they aren't too far away...)

5. Maybe find some auction place that regularly handles this type of gear.  (Anyone know of such an outfit?  Anyone done this before?)  I'm afraid that I wouldn't get the best price for my gear with this option, plus I'm thinking their commission would be high.  Still have the obstacle of getting the equipment to the buyer, or expect them to come to me to pick it up.

So, I am seeking advice from you people (no slur intended), because with all the experience of you guys in the forums, I'm sure many have had to sell gear.  Some of you are surely in smaller markets, and have faced this situation before.  Even those of you in larger markets might have some words of wisdom, too.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any of the above options better than the rest?  Any I should avoid doing?  Any other ideas?

THANKS!

http://www.solarisnetwork.com/

they might be able to help you.

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 01:58:09 AM »

I live in a town of about 100,000 people, and am finding myself in the position for the first time needing to sell equipment, since I am purchasing a new Danley system.   ;D  I have Community SLS tops that weigh 130+ pounds and SBS subs that weigh 220.  Plus other smaller gear, including some 70-pound EV speakers, monitors, plus amps and eq's and such.

Use freightquote.com or similar to get pricing. Four SLS might be no more than a few hundred to ship a LONG way on a skid. I'm assuming you don't have a loading dock but i think you can usually deliver the items to a shipping depot yourself for less than a truck with a lift-gate will cost.

List on the Marketplace here first. Put reasonable prices.  If the price is fair then someone will gladly pay for shipping. Don't limit yourself to local buyers only (including only those you can deliver to or who will bother coming to pick up).

James A. Griffin

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 07:49:30 PM »

Maximum exposure is the key.   Use every possible outlet to advertise the product.   

Buyers that want the gear know they'll have to pay shipping when they buy new or used gear.

Ebay gives you a lot of exposure, but shoppers typically expect fire sale prices.  Go ahead and list a price you're comfortable with, keeping in mind the eBay final value fee that will be charged.

I've also bought and sold on Craigslist.   If I'm looking for something, I'll Google ala :  "Craigslist JBL VRX" and usually get a few hits.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Chris Gruber

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:37:42 AM »

Shipping on a pair of SLS960's runs about $330 for a 1200 mile trip.

Matt Merritt

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 11:36:44 PM »

Shipping on a pair of SLS960's runs about $330 for a 1200 mile trip.

How did you come up with that?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »

THANKS!

How do you move them now? Often I see people willing to drive some distance to save the hassle of shipping. For example, I live near Boston and sold a console to someone in Maryland. We agreed to meet in New Jersey. Shipping would have been ok but this way I was sure it was in good shape when he got it.

Several speakers (or subs) on a pallet is easy to ship. Usually price is lbs*miles.

As others have said, list early and often.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Matt Merritt

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 07:35:38 PM »

How do you move them now? Often I see people willing to drive some distance to save the hassle of shipping. For example, I live near Boston and sold a console to someone in Maryland. We agreed to meet in New Jersey. Shipping would have been ok but this way I was sure it was in good shape when he got it.

Several speakers (or subs) on a pallet is easy to ship. Usually price is lbs*miles.

As others have said, list early and often.

How does one prepare heavy used speakers for shipping?  Or will the shipping company take care of that?

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »

We have a local logistics company we work with. We do terminal to terminal, take the stuff to the terminal on a pallet or in a lot of cases they have the pallet and we do it right there, hard cardboard corners and shrink wrap so to speak with the plastic black wrap. We use inexpensive ratchet straps to secure to pallet and have always had mixers, speakers, cases, etc. delivered without a problem. This is the cheapest route for you and your buyer
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Gus Housen

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »

Ist off wich  model of SLS boxes do you have?

I buy and sell a;lot of used gear, enough that its probably 10% of my income.
If you want a fast sale Ebay is usually the ticket, and allthough some gear goes for fire sale prices, its not always true.
You have to do a little reaserch to see if its actually selling for a price you can live with.

Large gear is difficult to sell but some markets, but 200 miles away may sell well. For example the Seattle market is glut with MI gear, but Portlanders  arent afraid to drive for the right deal and seem to like late model gear. Craigslist is usually better for big gear because its local pick-up or delivery but if the deal is right ebay is usually a faster sell.
Consignment is usually 20% so you might as well just mark it down. the only time i had luck with consignment was parking a bunch of MI gear @ a place that sells used Music equipment.

I have had some luck buying and selling on Prosound web, it really just depends if its something someone wants.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.