ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha CL Series gain compensation  (Read 29884 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Yamaha CL Series gain compensation
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 01:54:08 am »

Definitively not analog nor up to date technology
I'm using Riedel Rocknet with setups with up to 5 desks + Madi units sharing signals coming from something like 5 input units. One desk (or System engineer) is analog gain master and all other are "gain slaves". Any unit (desk,madi unit, output device) using a signal coming from an input has its own gain structure to this input(headamp) regardless of what the gain master does (except bad S/N if analog gain too low and slave trim too high or clip ). Not the case with CL series, where you can set one relative gain structure for all the users and use digital trims like in the nineties.
You clearly do not understand how Rocknet works if you think each console has it's own [analog] "gain structure".
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 11:54:12 am »

You clearly do not understand how Rocknet works if you think each console has it's own [analog] "gain structure".

How about enlightening him instead of "comparing grades"?

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 01:50:18 pm »

How about enlightening him instead of "comparing grades"?
It's already well-explained in this thread.
The "gain" controls on the non-master are merely adjusting the digital gain of the output of the rocknet feed to that console. Rocknet "reads" the value of the gain setting, and uses that to trim the signal digitally. No analog adjustment is being made except on the "master" console. Rocknet does it within the converter, Yamaha does it at the console. Same result.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:55:03 pm by Andrew Broughton »
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Gregor Baumann

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2012, 07:15:33 am »

Thanks for the advice I've never been aware of that :) Would I have been wrong all the last 5 years ? :)
What I mean is that with Rocknet every user (Person who uses a desk, suscriber to an audio add(Signal coming from a source to the network)) has only one reference, the absolute gain scale, and one knob to turn to have its gain set. No relative value [dB], what per example on monitoring position really sucks during a linecheck, knowing that your safe zone is per example a gain of 20 dB in absolute gain reference, and that you have to refer to the analog gain value to calculate the offset of your digital trim. Interesting workflow.

The only company that have definitely solved this problem is Stagetec. Guess why ?

Gregor Baumann

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2012, 07:43:31 am »

Unfortunately, of the 64 channels I was taking from RN, only 48 showed up as having mic pres since the Studer card emulates a Studer stage rack

Last Big Setup I had were 3 Rocknet rings on a V5SR and 4 yamahas with a channel count of 192 on the Studer + the 3 Madis for broadcast (31 units in total) and everything showed up properly. Rocknet was 2.19 alpha version. Maybe different in 2.20 and above. Or dip switches or config file ?

Gregor Baumann

Have no idea about Studer...But I've got the biggest :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2012, 07:43:31 am »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.