ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: muddy vocals  (Read 21821 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: muddy vocals
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 08:13:23 PM »

ok I'm sill rather new to live sound .Today I was doing an outside party and no mater what I did the vocals just weren't right kind of fuzzy sounding I did get close to "ok  " sound by taking almost all of the bass outof the mix but then later i had to add bass .It was VERY HUMID could that have played a part in it ?

I think the real answer is in John Halliburton's reply.  You ran out of rig and amps were going into thermal protection.

As for humidity, "wet" air transfers HF much better than dry air.  I doubt humidity had a negative effect on your HF.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

James A. Griffin

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 08:34:43 PM »

I think the real answer is in John Halliburton's reply.  You ran out of rig and amps were going into thermal protection.

Good possibility, but...

To the OP, we still need more info from you:

You only listed one amp.   You running both mains and both subs from it?  Is there a crossover in this rig?     Approx what size space were you trying to cover?
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 08:39:46 PM »

Good possibility, but...

To the OP, we still need more info from you:

You only listed one amp.   You running both mains and both subs from it?  Is there a crossover in this rig?     Approx what size space were you trying to cover?

Yeah.  More info would be good but the intermittent nature of this makes me suspect thermal or other amp protection.  If there is 'light bulb' protection of the HF that could account for this, too.

Could be lots of things; we'll have to see if the OP posts back.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Luty

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 10:40:51 PM »

Yeah.  More info would be good but the intermittent nature of this makes me suspect thermal or other amp protection.  If there is 'light bulb' protection of the HF that could account for this, too.

Could be lots of things; we'll have to see if the OP posts back.
Yes I was using the gx5 for both mains and subs the crossover is built into the amp underpowering is most likely the cause looking back on it live and learn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 11:00:07 PM »

Yes I was using the gx5 for both mains and subs the crossover is built into the amp underpowering is most likely the cause looking back on it live and learn

Hi John-

"Underpowering" as in low mains AC voltage?  Low voltage would have more effect on an analog mixer and external processing than it would bother your amps (until they just shut down).

I can't speak to the GX, but many amps will activate the protection on individual channels, so having 1 side of the amp overheat is still a possibility.

Did this affect only vocals or everything that was in the PA?

I think the folks that have replied would like to help you define the real cause, though.  Can you tell us more about the models of speakers, how you wire things up, the mixer you use, etc?  Unless you're completely done with the discussion... until it happens again.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:02:39 PM by Tim McCulloch »

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 04:17:06 AM »

Hello,

being after the fact... we can only give you advice/tips for the future. There could be many reasons for your muddiness.  Inexperienced vocalist, bad mic, Eq settings are wrong, drivers are smoked, crossovers are smoked, No crossovers between sub(s) and top boxes. 

Not familiar with the Speaker cabinets you have....do you have a crossover?  Or, is there a crossover in the sub box ?

Next time you set up.... forget the Sonic Maximizer.    Set ALL of your Eqs to the normal or flat position, including any and all channel strip eqs.  Plug in a microphone and stand at the "foh" position and start making noise. What do you hear?  Is there still a muddiness to the vocals?  Eq your vocals until it sounds like your natural vocal sound.

Try another Mic.... is your microphone causing the muddiness problem? 

Try putting an audio source such as a CD, Ipod, etc..   is it still muddy with all Eqs in the normal positon? 

You need to do some investigating, but, usually a problem is operator error, only 2nded by gear that is not operating properly, and finally, with an incomplete system. (crossovers absent)

Good Luck, and give us more details...

Hammer

Ps.... I'm guessing it's a problem with the HF driver
+1
When did probs start? Maybe being outdoors you pushed things more then you realized and damaged some drivers???
As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Mark G. Hinge

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 05:11:40 AM »

Just to answer a few questions...

Those PV subs have crossovers in them, but if using the GX5 he’s getting a 100hz crossover there.  Each cab will be getting about 350 watts, which is plenty ‘nuff to toast them if not careful. 

Note that the PR15 (plastic boxes, light-bulb protection) have the same woofers as they use in the PRSub, so it’s kinda boomy… great for playing music in the  back yard with no subs, not the best setup for vocals. 

Actually, the sonic maxipadder might have served a purpose as an insert on the vocal channel, although the problem was likely not enough rig for the gig and the vocals were distorting somewhere in the chain.   

Hopefully no drivers were damaged.  I’ve seen those PR tops light up a couple times; the protection bulb does its job, but can only do so much.

:)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 05:15:11 AM by Mark G. Hinge »

John Luty

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 09:02:23 AM »

Just to answer a few questions...

Those PV subs have crossovers in them, but if using the GX5 he’s getting a 100hz crossover there.  Each cab will be getting about 350 watts, which is plenty ‘nuff to toast them if not careful. 

Note that the PR15 (plastic boxes, light-bulb protection) have the same woofers as they use in the PRSub, so it’s kinda boomy… great for playing music in the  back yard with no subs, not the best setup for vocals. 

Actually, the sonic maxipadder might have served a purpose as an insert on the vocal channel, although the problem was likely not enough rig for the gig and the vocals were distorting somewhere in the chain.   

Hopefully no drivers were damaged.  I’ve seen those PR tops light up a couple times; the protection bulb does its job, but can only do so much.

:)
well I set everything up at home and played some recorded music and everything is fine
The singer of the band that i did the sound for tends to get extra loud and growls a lot so sometimes it's hard to dial him in so now I'm thinking that it was a combination of pushing things to hard and the singer being too loud from the get go

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 09:25:30 AM »

well I set everything up at home and played some recorded music and everything is fine
The singer of the band that i did the sound for tends to get extra loud and growls a lot so sometimes it's hard to dial him in so now I'm thinking that it was a combination of pushing things to hard and the singer being too loud from the get go
Once you clip the input to the channel-you are hosed from then on.  There is NOTHING you can do to attempt to clean it up.

Keeping the "front end" clean-no matter how loud the singer-is JOB 1 in running sound-unless you are "looking for" that type of sound.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

James A. Griffin

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 09:36:27 AM »

The very first knob at top of channel strip is GAIN or TRIM.  If the singer or any instrument is too loud, turn that down so you don't overload the channel. 
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 09:36:27 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.