ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best practise for sending an unbalanced signal 100 ft?  (Read 8307 times)

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
Re: Best practise for sending an unbalanced signal 100 ft?
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 03:27:30 pm »

Geez man, don't get suckered into S-Video. It blows. Even though it should provide more bandwidth by separating the Luminance and Chroma, it's no better than Composite video and FAR FAR FAR less reliable. At 100' you're wasting your time with a balun anyway, just get a decent piece of RG-6 and be done with it.
Ryan Davis

Oliver Giving

• Vancouver, BC, Canada
    • Probiotic Soundsystem
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 06:50:59 pm »

Geez man, don't get suckered into S-Video. It blows. Even though it should provide more bandwidth by separating the Luminance and Chroma, it's no better than Composite video and FAR FAR FAR less reliable. At 100' you're wasting your time with a balun anyway, just get a decent piece of RG-6 and be done with it.

Thanks for your $0.02 Ryan.  How would I get the composite signal into the RG-6 cable?  Wouldn't I need a balun or some other type of adapter for that?
Oliver Giving
Owner/Operator

Probiotic Soundsystem
Audio Visual Production for Live Community Audiences
C: 604.655.8840
www.probioticsoundsystem.net

Mark McFarlane

• Middle East
    • Arkose Records
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 07:03:30 pm »

Thanks for your $0.02 Ryan.  How would I get the composite signal into the RG-6 cable?  Wouldn't I need a balun or some other type of adapter for that?

You can buy an RCA to F-Type or BNC adaptor pretty cheap (a few dollars).  I'm not recommending this approach, and I'm not poo-pooing it, I'm not a video guy, but I've used such adaptors before for short cable runs to connect consumer and pro level gear in a video edit bay without any problems.

I'd be a little leery that there may be an issue with a cheap DVD player driving 100' of cable through its RCA composite out, but I'm not qualified to say ...
Mark McFarlane
ARKOSERECORDS
Turn down what's too loud.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 07:04:22 pm »

All you need is RG6 w RCA plugs in the end.   Either hard wired or via RCA to BNC adapters
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

James A. Griffin

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 07:54:14 pm »

[quote author=Mark McFarlane link=topic=138787.msg1291417#msg1291417 date=1341443010

I'd be a little leery that there may be an issue with a cheap DVD player driving 100' of cable through its RCA composite out, but I'm not qualified to say ...
[/quote]

I've driven 100' from DVD to stage via basic composite cables w no issues.     Coax should be even better
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Mark McFarlane

• Middle East
    • Arkose Records
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 08:32:03 pm »

I've driven 100' from DVD to stage via basic composite cables w no issues.     Coax should be even better

Glad to hear it, all is well.
Mark McFarlane
ARKOSERECORDS
Turn down what's too loud.

Scott Carneval

• Cenero Audio Visual
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 11:08:43 am »

I guess I missed the S-Video in the original post since we were talking about audio, but don't you want to send a HD signal?  If this is for a wedding, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume this is a slideshow, so the pictures are probably hi-res.  If you can't burn the slideshow to BluRay just play it straight off the laptop.

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 12:39:20 pm »

I guess I missed the S-Video in the original post since we were talking about audio, but don't you want to send a HD signal?  If this is for a wedding, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume this is a slideshow, so the pictures are probably hi-res.  If you can't burn the slideshow to BluRay just play it straight off the laptop.

assuming he has an HD Projector
Ryan Davis

Scott Carneval

• Cenero Audio Visual
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 12:42:59 pm »

assuming he has an HD Projector

Even a basic 1024x768 projector using it's VGA input will display much better resolution than a S-video or composite connection.

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 07:55:46 pm »

Even a basic 1024x768 projector using it's VGA input will display much better resolution than a S-video or composite connection.

That's also true but show me a DVD player with an rgbhv output. The best he could hope for is 3 coaxes for YCbCr assuming the projector has a component output. Then they could get 480x720. Or go VGA out of a laptop with a codec for DVD. All safe at that distance.
Ryan Davis

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 07:55:46 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.