ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it the speakers or the room?  (Read 41857 times)

Arnold B. Krueger

Re: Is it the speakers or the room?
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2012, 09:04:41 pm »

So, one other thing I've been meaning to mention.

One of our JBL speakers is louder than the other one. At first I thought it was just my imagination, but before long several other people made the same observation. Even in different rooms (we've taken the JBLs with us on retreats and such). I didn't realize just how much of a volume difference there was until I ran a test tone at 400Hz in each speaker while someone stood in the middle of the room. Before they sounded the same volume I had to have the knob at about noon on the quieter one and about 9:30-10:00 on the other. Even then, the louder speaker still sounds louder in the 2-5k range.

Because of this I decided to thoroughly check out our signal chain, but there was nothing out of the ordinary. Both speakers have the exact same chain and are receiving the exact same signal. I have no boosts in the 2-5k range, or any EQ boosts of any kind on either speaker. Both speakers are set to the "flat" position (there is a "boost" function that is disengaged on both speakers).

All I can guess is that either one has a bad cable, or one of them is just malfunctioning. I think the problem has been getting worse over time, since it didn't used to be this noticeable.

If possible, physically swap the speakers. If the problem follows the speakers then...

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2012, 10:05:46 pm »

I think the quieter speaker could have a blown driver. That to me would explain why I have to run one at 10 o clock and one at 2 o clock for them to sound even, and why the louder one seems to have more high end than the other.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2012, 06:05:15 pm »

I think the quieter speaker could have a blown driver. That to me would explain why I have to run one at 10 o clock and one at 2 o clock for them to sound even, and why the louder one seems to have more high end than the other.

Or a damaged crossover, if it's a multi-driver speaker on a single amp.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2012, 10:13:34 pm »

Or a damaged crossover, if it's a multi-driver speaker on a single amp.

The PRX-535s are Tri-amped:

http://www.jblpro.com/BackOffice/ProductAttachments/PRX_UserGuide_0709.pdf
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Anna Gold

« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2012, 12:30:22 am »

This is just a blessing that we have that kind of materiel available because I am a musician and my home is full of high sounds most of the time that is why I use the same materiel which is being used in church now a days for sound proofing.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2012, 06:18:28 am »

This is just a blessing that we have that kind of materiel available because I am a musician and my home is full of high sounds most of the time that is why I use the same materiel which is being used in church now a days for sound proofing.
A friendly reminder that the rules here require full, real names.  I'm sure you'll get reminded soone to change your displayed name.

What material are you referencing and how is it used for "sound proofing"?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2012, 06:18:28 am »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.