ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Analog Mixing Consoles still relevent  (Read 30429 times)

Micky Basiliere

Re: Analog Mixing Consoles still relevent
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 12:48:41 AM »

AND, with the cost of fuel steadily rising, smaller and lighter will become much more critical to the profitability of any enterprise (especially ours).

The Digital freaks have spoken... now go buy an APB Dynasonics,and be done with it! LOL

Micky Basiliere

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 01:03:25 AM »

The Digital freaks have spoken... now go buy an APB Dynasonics,and be done with it! LOL

Reality is: If you dont have at least 15 to 40K to spend on a Digital console(most small sound co's dont...),DONT BOTHER! everything below that level of $$$ is CRAP!!! period!!! go analog... it's still 50/50 out there.. thats the truth!!! argue that... :)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 07:21:29 AM »

Reality is: If you dont have at least 15 to 40K to spend on a Digital console(most small sound co's dont...),DONT BOTHER! everything below that level of $$$ is CRAP!!! period!!! go analog... it's still 50/50 out there.. thats the truth!!! argue that... :)

I would disagree that digital mixers <$15k are crap.  They aren't $60k mixers but the same thing is true of analog.  Compromise are made to hit a price point.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Chambers

• Melbourne, Australia
    • MAD Productions
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 07:45:38 AM »

Unless you're recording or running major events audience members won't notice the difference between a Soundcraft SiC and a Midas Pro..

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 01:36:33 PM »

Since you quoted me in this response, I'd like to be clear.  I'm an old-school analog guy.  I own exactly zero digital desks.  That being said, I'm smart enough to see the direction that our industry is heading.

Now, APB makes fabulous sounding gear that would likely be accepted by most audio-mixin'-type people.  Analog gear is still relevant, and will continue to be so; but as time goes on, digital gear will take an increasingly large percentage of the market share.  Where the demand goes, the supply follows.  We don't have to like it, but to deny it is simply foolish.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Loren Aguey

• New York City
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 01:43:56 PM »

Man you are always so hardcore about analog. We get it, you think it sounds better, and that's fine.

But claiming that any digital console below 15k is crap is a ridiculous statement and not true.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 02:01:35 PM »

Since you quoted me in this response, I'd like to be clear.  I'm an old-school analog guy.  I own exactly zero digital desks.  That being said, I'm smart enough to see the direction that our industry is heading.

Now, APB makes fabulous sounding gear that would likely be accepted by most audio-mixin'-type people.  Analog gear is still relevant, and will continue to be so; but as time goes on, digital gear will take an increasingly large percentage of the market share.  Where the demand goes, the supply follows.  We don't have to like it, but to deny it is simply foolish.

Midas/Music Group might surprise us with a final analogue offering, but Yamaha is out of large frame analog biz.  I expect Soundcraft to prune its analog offerings as well.  Allen-Heath?  Hard to say, but their new digital products get all the attention.  Fewer analogue SKUs in A-H catalogue.

The Digital Crystal Ball® (with outdoor antenna) says APB will be THE source of new, large frame analog consoles within 5 years.  They understand the market, they listen to end users and provide fantastic support.  They're small enough to be nimble and fast and just large enough to support real R&D.  And APB is run by some of the best folks in the industry.

Now, is someone could do something about the lousy battery life in this damn Digital Crystal Ball thingy.....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 02:25:56 PM »

Allen-Heath?  Hard to say, but their new digital products get all the attention.  Fewer analogue SKUs in A-H catalogue.

I'd say A&H have made their roadmap pretty clear. They've already killed off the their higher end analog desks. The GL4xxx, ML4k and ML5k are gone. Suspect it won't be long before the ML3k and GL3xxx boards are gone too with the introduction of the GLD series.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 03:46:29 PM »

The faders will last an awfully long time if you mix with an iPad and never move them  ;-)

Maybe, but you'll still run across guys like me that love a nice Avid or Digico or a good old XL200 but want a real surface at FOH. No matter how good an app gets it does not replace the actual console's surface.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 05:47:51 PM »

Maybe, but you'll still run across guys like me that love a nice Avid or Digico or a good old XL200 but want a real surface at FOH. No matter how good an app gets it does not replace the actual console's surface.

Amen my brother.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 05:47:51 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.