ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Word clock unterminated issue  (Read 4367 times)

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
Word clock unterminated issue
« on: June 18, 2012, 08:27:12 PM »

Hi, We just got a Apogee Big Ben on ebay to clock our LS9, a M-audio Lightbridge and a ART DPS II from one source. The LS9 and M-Audio have terminated word clock input, but the DPS II does not, which is confirmed by the Big ben.
So, we got a bnc T-connector and a Canare bnc termination plug. The funny part is that when we connected the plug, there was termination but no sync, and when we removed it there was no termination but sync. Any idea why this is happening?
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Word clock unterminated issue
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 08:34:09 PM »

So, we got a bnc T-connector and a Canare bnc termination plug. The funny part is that when we connected the plug, there was termination but no sync, and when we removed it there was no termination but sync. Any idea why this is happening?

What is the impedance of the termination plug? It should be 75Ω. It sounds like it may be a shorting plug.

Mac

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 09:01:13 PM »

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 09:07:51 PM by Airton Pereira Silva »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Word clock unterminated issue
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 01:50:27 AM »

Termination should only be done at the end of the line. Put the dps in the middle of the wc line and leave it unterminated. Turn on termination at the end of the line only.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 04:46:12 AM »

I see, well I bought this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/379865-REG/Canare_BCP_TA_BCP_TA_BNC_Termination_Plug.html

It is written 75 ohms on it.

Are you feeding each device from a different output of the Big Ben, or are you looping through devices? As Andrew says, only the end of any line should be terminated. Try using one of the other devices as the termination instead of the plug.

It seems unlikely, but maybe you have a bad terminator.

Mac

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 05:35:16 AM »

Mac has given the basics. 

If every device is on its own WC Out jack on the back of the Big Ben, then the way you wired it is correct.  Try a different WC cable (one that works).  Try a different terminator. Try a different output port on the Big Ben (e.g.the one thats works with your LS-9).

How did you determine the DPS II was not internally terminated?  Termination doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual http://artproaudio.com/files/owners_manuals/om_dpsii.pdf .  Not specified isn't that same as not terminated.

Still having problems, call ART?

Or, just leave the termination off and be happy it syncs. Personally this would drive me nuts without knowing why, but there is a school of 'if it works, don't sweat it'.

Mark McFarlane

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 09:13:26 AM »

Each device is synced directly from the big ben, so I am using three of the outputs of the big ben. I noticed the DPS is not terminated when the big ben green light did not turn on and I saw on the manual that it happens when a port is unterminated and I have already tried another big ben port. I will try another cable, but until now the DPS is running happily unterminated.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 09:13:26 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.