ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dmx cable as an audio cable.  (Read 44825 times)

James Feenstra

Re: Dmx cable as an audio cable.
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 11:46:34 AM »

Everything should be wireless just to piss off (or on) the cable guys...:)
the day they make wireless 400a services is the day I quit the business...
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 11:49:42 AM »

the day they make wireless 400a services is the day I quit the business...
Tesla did this YEARS ago, but it was DC (and looked like a scene out of Frankenstien).
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 05:53:08 PM »

Scott,

What brand wireless dmx did you buy?

Bob Cap

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 06:14:31 PM »

Scott,

Bob Cap
None.  For my uses, I prefer wires.  I was commenting on the wireless 400a power distribution.  Tesla was using wireless electrical transmission eons ago, but all of his work was with DC.  Edison worked with wired AC (and, obviously, won the market share).  I guess sarcasm doesn't translate well in the written word.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »

None.  For my uses, I prefer wires.  I was commenting on the wireless 400a power distribution.  Tesla was using wireless electrical transmission eons ago, but all of his work was with DC.  Edison worked with wired AC (and, obviously, won the market share).  I guess sarcasm doesn't translate well in the written word.

Wrong about Tesla/Edison.  Tesla was backed by George Westinghouse, Edison's commercial rival.  Edison was the big pimp for DC, the problem with DC was the distribution: line voltage drop (or requiring very high voltage).  If Edison had prevailed we'd have had generating stations every 20 blocks.

Edison embarked on a public relations campaign that called Tesla's Alternating Current "Killer Current" and used public killing of animals with AC in an effort to sway public opinion toward DC.

Fortunately the technical merits of AC won out.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 11:53:06 PM »

Scott,

Bob Cap

I bought a pair of Sirs-e DMXW2.4 wireless transceivers for under $300 on eBay a few months back. Used them for a theatre production roughly 100'-150' from control booth to first electric. Left them on continuously for over a week and they worked flawlessly. Just used them for a one-off elementary school graduation and again worked great--never a dropout problem. One of them had a missing LED display segment when I received it and Sirs-e replaced that unit super fast with an apology, but I had to pay the return shipping cost. I would definitely buy more of them if I had the need. Each unit can be used either as a transmitter or receiver by flipping a switch. I like the larger form factor; seem to be well-made, discounting the infant mortality LED.
Scott Hofmann

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 12:15:58 AM »

Thanks for the correction, Tim.  I'm into week 4 of my "sleep deprivation studies."  I really need to find time to rest - next week is going to be busy....
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 12:15:58 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.