ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Telephone interface for IP phone systems  (Read 6803 times)

Mike Assel

Telephone interface for IP phone systems
« on: May 05, 2011, 10:57:29 AM »

Does anyone know of a product that is a telephone interface (digital hybrid) that interfaces with an IP phone system, specifically Cisco Unified Communications Manager?  Basically I'm looking for a Gentner DH-30 with a network jack on the back rather than a POTS jack.   I realize there are multiple ways to do this, but I'm specifically looking for a box that would register directly with the Cisco UCM.

Thanks.  Mike

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
Re: Telephone interface for IP phone systems
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 02:24:30 PM »

One of the many problems with many IP phone systems like Cisco is that the manufacturers have little telecom experience and have basically "reinvented the wheel". They could have just looked at how real phone systems work and copied the functionality but no, they have their own ideas. Often there is no easy way to interface something like a paging system (because the manufacturer never knew people use them with phone systems) if the system doesn't use POTS trunks. Common advice given is to hack apart a phone and connect to the speaker output, something that I wouldn't recommend.

That said, you need to get with your Cisco dealer and ask your question, but don't be surprised if his eyes glaze over and he starts talking about his X Box.

-Hal

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 03:18:19 PM »

As Harry already alluded, each VoIP telephone manufacturer uses their on protocol. Unless Cisco manufactures a box to provide a four wire interface, your only option is a hybrid that works off the handset, such as this JK Audio unit, or utilize the headset connection on the deskset if so equipped.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Devin Rice

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 12:45:03 PM »

As Harry already alluded, each VoIP telephone manufacturer uses their on protocol. Unless Cisco manufactures a box to provide a four wire interface, your only option is a hybrid that works off the handset, such as this JK Audio unit, or utilize the headset connection on the deskset if so equipped.

Gonna bring this thread up again in case there are any new developments. Specifically, I am looking to connect a Cisco VoIP conference unit (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_data_sheet09186a00801f8e36.html) to a pair of active speakers in a large conference room, and was wondering whether there is any device I can use for this.

gary makovsky

• Delmont (Pittsburgh) PA
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 02:31:03 PM »

Polycom Vortex. they have a few models with and without amps. pretty straight forward to setup with a PC software interface or menu structure. We have a few in our confrence rooms here at work. ability to use room mics with separate gain, EQ and echo cancel. works with all out different IP phones.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 06:35:43 PM »

Gonna bring this thread up again in case there are any new developments. Specifically, I am looking to connect a Cisco VoIP conference unit (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_data_sheet09186a00801f8e36.html) to a pair of active speakers in a large conference room, and was wondering whether there is any device I can use for this.

I'm running into the same issues with a Nortel system.  I came up with this solution from Valcom that I may try:

http://www.valcom.com/techsupport/ip_solutions/pdfs/vip801.pdf

Frankly I don't know if it would work, but I haven't been able to get straight answers from the system admin for almost a year and I'm about to buy one and try it anyway just to get this project off my plate.   >:(

Added:  Sorry I misunderstood your issue.  I was beating my head against the wall with my issue, trying to get a page output from a network system, when I came here to take a break!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:39:29 PM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 06:35:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.