ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AVID layoffs  (Read 6972 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
AVID layoffs
« on: July 03, 2012, 09:29:59 AM »

AVID, which is about 5 miles from my house, is reported to be laying off 350 more people. I don't know how this may effect pro sound overall but the local talk indicates all aspects of the companies operations will be effected. For a company that employes fewer than 2500 people, which includes 500 contractors, this is a large cut. According to people I know moral at the company is at an all time low, and has been since AVID started restructuring years ago.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Helmke

Re: AVID layoffs
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 10:11:26 AM »

Got a mass email this morning to the effect that they're selling off "consumer" level applications, basically video editing programs.

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 01:37:20 PM »

AVID is selling off M-Audio and the video editing departments. Press release went out Monday.

http://www.avid.com/US/press-room/Avid-Divests-Consumer-Businesses-and-Streamlines-Operations

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »

I have friends there and it is tough going, but M-Audio, Pinnacle and consumer-level video editing (what was sold off) weren't part of their core business. Hopefully being able to focus on live sound, card-based and M-Box Pro Tools will let them deploy resources in a better way.

Fingers are crossed; I hate Logic and haven't used Performer since version 4.0 before it went digital, and Opcode's Studio Vision is long gone...

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 02:48:22 PM »

A last ditch effort to save a company that has been losing market share and financial stability for a decade.

It's unclear from the press release whether they are keeping their professional video editing systems, or those are included in the sale to inMusic. Seems like Avid is going to end up looking like Digidesign, pre Avid take over.

I'm currently investigating moving to Nuendo or Cubase for my personal audio recording and editing needs. I've fallen out of love with Protools over the last couple of releases and their wonky hardware support.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 02:56:49 PM »

Just got word from a good friend in engineering at M-Audio that it was all the sales and marketing folks who got axed. He's not certain of his fate yet, but I suspect he'll be ok.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 05:42:37 PM »

The second paragraph of this article:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/0086/avid-sells-consumer-a/v-and-cuts--jobs/214174

seems to indicate that at least some of the Avid layoffs will be transferred along with the businesses to inMusic.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
AVID layoffs
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 05:46:58 PM »

I'm currently investigating moving to Nuendo or Cubase for my personal audio recording and editing needs.
Be sure to check out Reaper before you make your final decision. I was a Cubase/Nuendo guy and like virtually everyone I know, have switched to Reaper.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 11:52:17 PM »

Be sure to check out Reaper before you make your final decision. I was a Cubase/Nuendo guy and like virtually everyone I know, have switched to Reaper.

I've been using Reaper off and on for several years now. It sort of seems like it would work, then I try working on it and it's just a little wonky. I can't decide if I like it or not. I really like Ardour, but I can't get a decent Linux install on my laptop to work well enough to use it and the hardware support for audio interfaces on Linux is still way over complicated.

Really, I guess I'm looking for Protools that has better hardware support (on the PC side) and isn't run by a bunch of ass hats like the Avid/Digidesign crew and does not have the mafia like tie in with iLok. If only such a mythical animal existed, right?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 12:00:17 AM »

Kind of strange they'd only get 19MM for divisions bringing in 91MM revenue a year.  They must be loosing a lot of money in these divisions.  Corel seems to milk legacy products, Alesis (inMusic) fits there too. Kind of sad.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 12:00:17 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.