ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless DMX...?  (Read 5509 times)

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
Wireless DMX...?
« on: June 11, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »

Anyone use or have experience with wireless DMX transmitters/receivers?  I'm talking about the less expensive ones - i.e. from Chauvet.  Do they work as engineered?  Any tx/rx issues?

Thanks.

Randall Hyde

Re: Wireless DMX...?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 04:34:26 AM »

Anyone use or have experience with wireless DMX transmitters/receivers?  I'm talking about the less expensive ones - i.e. from Chauvet.  Do they work as engineered?  Any tx/rx issues?

Thanks.
Will be trying out some Blizzard units on July 4. Will let you know how they work.
cheers,
Randy Hyde

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 10:54:47 AM »

after doing some shows with my  LD buddy who owned 2 elation units ( $500 ish each).  he has not had a problem yet. So I decided to try wireless out for my self.   

I spoke with another associate from a quite large stage lighting provider and purchased 4 units directly from them.  They are very affordable and are on ebay. I thought  if they are good enough for there huge shows, they are good enough for me.

I have used it probably 20 times  in the past 6 months.  Indoors and out doors with multiple wifi routers in range, with the longest wifi Dmx distance of 180 feet ( outdoors FOH ). I normally run around 30 to 40 fixtures per show.

These Units are great. It keeps the stage a lot cleaner. Speeds up setup time.
I really do not need my optical splitter any more.  I can not tell there is any delay in the dmx signal. I never have to ask to patch in to the audio snake for my dmx run.  The sound tech has no problem with me using some of his power for my console at FOH now. So I do not make any runs from the stage to FOH.  The units have worked great for me every time.  I put all 4 units in this super affordable case

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-x-12-3-4-quarter-inch-x-6-inch-aluminum-case-39196.html

DMX Wireless System DMX512 American Lighting DJ Control

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DMX-Wireless-System-DMX512-American-Lighting-DJ-Control-/220678282941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3361735ebd

I have no experience with chauvet model, but I do know that they released there model and then quickly replaced it with a new one..  I would choose AM DJ's unit over the chauvet

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 11:03:58 AM »

Thanks.

I bought a pair of Sirs-e DMXW2.4 wireless transceivers for under $300 on eBay a few months back. Used them for a theatre production roughly 100' from control booth to first electric. Left them on continuously for over a week and they worked flawlessly. Just used them for a one-off elementary school graduation and again worked great--never a dropout problem. One of them had a missing LED display segment when I received it and Sirs-e replaced that unit super fast with an apology, but I had to pay the return shipping cost. I would definitely buy more of them if I had the need. Each unit can be used either as a transmitter or receiver by flipping a switch. I like the larger form factor; seem to be well-made.
Scott Hofmann

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 02:31:31 PM »

I greatly appreciate the feedback on this!!  Not being in lighting much at all, I saw these units and thought they were some type of  "cheap tool" that just doesn't work. 

Looks like there's a few brands to choose from.  Maybe wireless DMX is in my future.

DanGlass

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 03:55:27 PM »

+1 on the Sirs-e units.  I bought my first pair about 3 years ago now and have not had any issues.  I have used them for indoor and outdoor shows with no dropouts or delays.  The furthest I have used them is about 250' from FOH at an arena that seats 6500 people and again no issues.  I agree that they are veru well built and I really like the slightly bigger form factor.  I will continue to buy these for my rental stock.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 12:42:57 AM »

A buddy of mine is doing bar gigs with wireless DMX.  He runs lights and mixes (StudioLive) from a single iPad.  No issues so far.  Not sure which wireless DMX he's using.

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 11:41:32 PM »

I decided not to buy the super cheap units as they do not have FHSS available.  I use W-DMX micros.  They're rock solid and really not a bad price (I think $500 for the transmitter, $300 for the receiver).  I ran them off batteries when I first got them and that was a really cool feature.  I plan on buying more very soon.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 11:41:32 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.