ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ZZTOP cancels show  (Read 14610 times)

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: ZZTOP cancels show
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 11:50:04 AM »

We need more acts to step up and put safety ahead of their dollars in this industry. The only real change will come when the acts themselves (and the money they bring in) demand that things be done in a safe manner.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 10:56:05 PM »

The only real change will come when the acts themselves (and the money they bring in) demand that things be done in a safe manner.
I hope that's the case, Justice.

Unfortunately, if audience and crew injuries don't deter enough groups to call their shows, it may just take someone in the group getting hurt/killed for them to "get it".

I never hope it comes to that, but fear it may have to.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 11:18:45 PM »

Based upon the story linked above, it appears ZZ Top did a good job of communicating the issues in a way that shows them to be professionals expressing legitimate concerns. Kudos!

Among professionals who do more than give lip service to safety, communication is encouraged; every time musicians, and others with legitimate concerns, express safety concerns clearly and objectively, their comments are welcomed, reviewed, and given deliberate consideration.

Who has the authority to insist work is done properly? Why are they ineffective? Which industry practices need to change?

Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 12:08:49 AM »

http://music.yahoo.com/news/zz-top-cuts-alabama-show-over-safety-concerns-163552452.html
This weekend in Vegas there was a hug Electronic dance show at the speedway.  The news said that 300,00- were expected to attend.

They cancelled the main stage on Sat night-due to high winds.  They set up a smaller system at the other end so the people could still party.

I think the issues of safety and outdoor stages are going to change.

The providers had better have their stuff together when doing these types of shows or they could lose a good bit.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 06:30:47 AM »

I think the issues of safety and outdoor stages are going to change.

The providers had better have their stuff together when doing these types of shows or they could lose a good bit.

Hello,

Yes,    safety procedures and staging specifications for live events have been needing a "change" for quite a while now.    Unfortunately,  much like other industries, it takes press releases and video clips of deaths and injuries to be the catalyst needed, for the insistance of higher safety standards by those involved in the industry. 

With this ZZ Top Show cancellation, this change toward an insistance of assured safety has  begun, and, we can only hope that this gets as much press, as those terrible staging incidents of the past few years.

As I'm sitting here typing this, I'm recalling a conversation, from about a year ago, that I had with an A list artist.  We played the arguments out, and came to the conclusion that it should be at the artist's discretion as to whether a show could or should be cancelled.   That this final decision option should be included  in the Artist's contract. 

I hope this change proceeds in an honest, orderly and logical manner...

Hammer   
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

James A. Griffin

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 11:06:22 AM »

I'm recalling a conversation, from about a year ago, that I had with an A list artist.  We played the arguments out, and came to the conclusion that it should be at the artist's discretion as to whether a show could or should be cancelled.   That this final decision option should be included  in the Artist's contract. 

Hammer..

I'd be interested in some of the thoughts behind that conclusion.   Seems there are lots of pros and cons no matter which way you go with it.         
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 01:29:05 PM »

Hammer..

I'd be interested in some of the thoughts behind that conclusion.   Seems there are lots of pros and cons no matter which way you go with it.         

Hello James,

I'd rather not discuss this specific conversation in a public forum, but, I'd be happy to Email you my thought and the basics as to what was discussed, and how we had came to the conclusion that we had. 

I'll PM you or send it via an Email.

Hammer

ps.  Sandy Espinoza,  LA., CA.,  had written the first press lease regarding the ZZ TOP cancellation.  She has been a powerhouse in promoting "Safe Stage Awareness", the adoption of Regional and/or National Safety standards for Staged Events, and is currently acting Consultant to many Production Companies and Event Promoters..     

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 02:37:34 PM »

Hello,

Here's the article that Sandy Espinoza wrote for SPL :

http://www.splnetwork.com/blogs/roland-castillo-head-rigger-zz-top-spoke-and-they-listened-06122012

Hammer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 02:37:34 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.