ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming from LS9  (Read 4524 times)

Thom Pratt

Streaming from LS9
« on: June 10, 2012, 03:09:17 pm »

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up a live stream of our church worship services from our Yamaha LS9-32.

We have two Dante MY-16 AUD interface cards that send 32 channels direct out from the LS9 to an IMac that's running pro tools 10. I'd like to mix everything in pro tools, record it, then output the audio to flash media live encoder on another Mac. I also need a way to monitor the mix in my headphones.

What is the best way to route and set up everything? I know mac has digital I/O which i'd like to use if i can. Any help would be great!!! Thanks in advance!

Brian Larson

Streaming from LS9
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 04:09:56 pm »

You say you want to do a "live stream" but you also mention recording the mix in pro tools and exporting a file. This is a contradiction. What would you like to do?

Thom Pratt

Re: Streaming from LS9
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 04:40:36 pm »

I apologize. I meant I would like to record the audio in pro tools AND output the same audio in realtime to another computer with the encoder. This way i'd be able to mix the recording in pro tools and use the same mix for the stream. Is there an easy way to do this, and how would I monitor the mix?

This is what i want:
LS9>Dante>Mac 1>Protools>Mac2>Encoder

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 05:16:49 pm »

I apologize. I meant I would like to record the audio in pro tools AND output the same audio in realtime to another computer with the encoder. This way i'd be able to mix the recording in pro tools and use the same mix for the stream. Is there an easy way to do this, and how would I monitor the mix?

This is what i want:

You're WAY over-thinking this.  Set up a broadcast matrix on the LS9 and do the air/stream mix there in real time.  Using ProTools for a live mix is cumbersome, time consuming and requires too many operators working concurrently.  Do a feed to the ProTools, record it if you must and re-mix it later.

There are two ways to mix for streaming:

1.  Do a full matrix mix for the stream, simply checking that any components of the mix which are loud in the room (and therefor quiet in the house mix) are bumped up enough to make them balance with the other channels.

OR

2.  Combine a board mix with a stereo (or other) mic in the sound field, delaying the board mix channels to the room mic(s).  Quick and easy way to get a fair balance in the streaming.

I believe the KISS principle applies.   If you're going to stream, stream.  If you're going to record, record.  Trying to do two or three things at the same time is not the best idea.     
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ade Stuart

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 06:41:24 pm »

This is what i want:

Doing your broadcast mix from the ls9 seems reasonable. Saying that, you could run Dante VSC on the second Mac, route the Mac1 Dante tx mix to both the second Mac rx for encoding and back to the ls9 for monitoring?

Thom Pratt

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 09:56:29 pm »

I'd rather have two or three people running the show. One man solely on FOH and one on streaming/recording. The stream/record mix is going to be totally different from the house due to room acoustics/dynamics etc. Is it not?

I'd like to mix it all in pro tools from scratch exclusively for the recording and just output that eq'd audio to a second computer running flash media live encoder for the stream. Can't I use a focusrite saffire pro 40 to go from my mac's digital out to the digital in on the pro 40, then go from the pro 40's digital out to the second mac, then choose the mac's line in on the encoder?

That way I can record in pro tools, send the audio to the focusrite and monitor through that with speakers or headphones, then send that audio out of the focusrite to the second mac for streaming.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Streaming from LS9
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 12:56:29 am »

Since you bought 2 Dante cards, you can run the VSC on both macs. Route the raw to one to record. You can also route to the other Mac too and use something like Reaper ( or your favorite DAW ) to do the live mix for streaming. Add a reasonable external FireWire or USB box to feed the streamer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

Streaming from LS9
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 12:56:29 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.