ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a new, higher power dj monitor  (Read 25019 times)

Richard Stringer

Need a new, higher power dj monitor
« on: June 07, 2012, 08:55:34 AM »

Hey ya guy, currently i've got a pair of JBL MRX515 cabs which i use for dj monitors powered by a bridged QSC RMX1450 but they're not loud enough so I really need one dj monitor that's louder, I don't really need two anymore. Which would you say are the loudest out of these cabs and how much louder than one MRX515 would they be, roughly I mean :

1 xPeavey SP2
1 x Turbosound Milan M15
1 x EV ZX5

It's impossible where I am to demo anything but JBL's JRX series, that's all any shops within 150 miles have in stock so I can't demo the above cabs, so I thought i'd ask you guys. My budget is for one cab, and the most I can possibly afford would be the price of the EV ZX5. I know all three cabs are pretty good sound so it's just spl output i'm enquiring about, thanks.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:57:14 AM by Richard Stringer »

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
Re: Need a new, higher power dj monitor
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 02:36:53 PM »

How far are you from the monitors on a typical setup? I find it difficult to believe that 2 MRXs set up near-field is not enough. Are you sure you have bridged the amp correctly?

As far as SPL goes, all the speakers you listed are within 3db peak of the MRX.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:44:13 PM by Chris Carpenter »

Richard Stringer

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 02:52:52 PM »

How far are you from the monitors on a typical setup? I find it difficult to believe that 2 MRXs set up near-field is not enough. Are you sure you have bridged the amp correctly?

The monitors are on speaker stands within 1 metre of the dj, one either side, and yeah i've got the amp setup properly. Forgetting about peak spl specs which are inaccurate due to the fact power compression isn't taken into affect and also because no-one puts the peak rated power into the speaker cabs, they normally use the extra power as headroom if anything, in real world  use, would you say the ZX5 is noticeably louder than the MRX515?

Benjamin Krumholz

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 02:57:35 PM »

Bridged RMX should be plenty of power.. Do you have both volume knobs on the amp up?!> I seem to remember a phase cancelation issue with those amps if you have both knobs up... Channel 1 should be all the way up and channel off and just use the red terminals.. what kind of cable are you using?? NL4?

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 03:10:12 PM »

The monitors are on speaker stands within 1 metre of the dj, one either side, and yeah i've got the amp setup properly. Forgetting about peak spl specs which are inaccurate due to the fact power compression isn't taken into affect and also because no-one puts the peak rated power into the speaker cabs, they normally use the extra power as headroom if anything, in real world  use, would you say the ZX5 is noticeably louder than the MRX515?
Well, they all have 98db of sensitivity, and they all handle about 400 watts continuous. While it is true that specification vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, you will need to find a solid 3dB of variation to even notice a difference. And if you have a problem that warrants spending this kind of money, it is not a 3db problem. You'll need to look at something much more powerful (expensive).

Answering Benjamin's questions will help us determine if your bridging is set up correctly. As I stated earlier, correctly set up, you shouldn't have any volume problems.

Shane Smith

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 03:15:51 PM »

Is the DJ deaf?

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 03:24:41 PM »

Is the DJ deaf?

Are they wearing headphones?

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »

Are they wearing headphones?

And earplugs?

Richard Stringer

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 04:21:26 PM »

Yeah Benjamin, i've got the channel 1 knob fully on and the channel 2 on fully down. I'm using an NL4 speakon to NL4 speakon cable, with one end of the cable set to pins 1+ and 2+ as that's how it's needed to wire one end in order to use the amp bridged. By the way, the end of the cable which is wired that way is the amp end.

Canon Snyder

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 05:53:26 PM »

Bro, the speakers are NOT the problem. Check anything else out you want, but ONE of those setup next to you will give you everything you need above 70 Hz up to at least 120dB cleanly. Something else is the problem.

If you're dedicated to get a new "blow off your face" speaker get the EV. Two of them as tops handle 350 person dance floors without any sweat at all, and present better in the bass register than the others.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 05:53:26 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.