ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LS9 and 2TR signal  (Read 6550 times)

Kristian Stevenson

• Lynchburg, VA
LS9 and 2TR signal
« on: July 25, 2012, 11:36:59 AM »

Hello all, I've got an LS9 and 2TR question. I hooked up our Tascam CC-222MKII up to the LS9 via digital coaxial and got audio to pass through but the levels are really hot, +6 consistently on the input meter. This doesn't give me very much fader headroom. Is there a way to attenuate the input signal down either on the LS9 or Tascam end so the level is more usable on the board. I am aware this is the level coming off the CD as the Tascam has its own signal meter. The only way I know to do this on the LS9 is the attention on the channel EQ. Is there something I am missing?
Kristian Stevenson

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: LS9 and 2TR signal
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 12:11:58 PM »

Hello all, I've got an LS9 and 2TR question. I hooked up our Tascam CC-222MKII up to the LS9 via digital coaxial and got audio to pass through but the levels are really hot, +6 consistently on the input meter. This doesn't give me very much fader headroom. Is there a way to attenuate the input signal down either on the LS9 or Tascam end so the level is more usable on the board. I am aware this is the level coming off the CD as the Tascam has its own signal meter. The only way I know to do this on the LS9 is the attention on the channel EQ. Is there something I am missing?

The attenuation is in the eq area. That is the one you want to use. It will not change the input meter level, which will still reflect the actual input level, but it will change where you run the fader.

Mac

Kristian Stevenson

• Lynchburg, VA
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 02:52:47 PM »

The attenuation is in the eq area. That is the one you want to use. It will not change the input meter level, which will still reflect the actual input level, but it will change where you run the fader.

Mac

Ok, That's what I thought. Just making sure I didn't miss something. Should the Tascam have an output attenuation or is that not a normal feature of digital devices?
Kristian Stevenson

Will Rigby

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 05:08:17 PM »

With a digital output, it's really technically impossible to "clip" a digital input (provided that the digital source material has no clipping in it already), since you're just transferring ones and zeros. Because of this, there's really no need for output attenuation on digital outputs.

Kristian Stevenson

• Lynchburg, VA
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 04:43:01 PM »

With a digital output, it's really technically impossible to "clip" a digital input (provided that the digital source material has no clipping in it already), since you're just transferring ones and zeros. Because of this, there's really no need for output attenuation on digital outputs.

Ok, That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification guys!
Kristian Stevenson

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 03:10:14 AM »

Those ones and zeros comprise a waveform.  The electronics through which that waveform passes have a limit as to the amplitude of any waveform they pass.  This is part of why one uses a transformer when connecting a S/PDIF output to an AES input or vice-versa. 

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 09:13:27 AM »

Those ones and zeros comprise a waveform.  The electronics through which that waveform passes have a limit as to the amplitude of any waveform they pass.  This is part of why one uses a transformer when connecting a S/PDIF output to an AES input or vice-versa.
Tim - this is apples and bicycles to the question.  Yes it's technically possible to distort/skew/smear/wreck a digital signal to the point of errors and/or data loss.  That being said, assuming the Comezouta and the Goesinta are electrically compatible, audio quality will not be materially impacted with digital gain/attenuation in moderation (subject to the limits of dynamic range).

I usually run into this in the other direction - a digital recorder off the board L+R bus.  If gain structure is set up for music, the speech following will need as much as 35dB of normalization gain, which freaks out the recording guy, until he discovers that it's really not a problem for a 24-bit signal.

Kristian - I'm pretty sure the LS9 doesn't have a sample rate converter on the 2TR input, which means the mixer must clock to your recorder.  This might be convenient cabling, but if your deck ever takes a dump, your board will go down due to loss of wordclock sync.  You might want to connect this guy using the analog outs, which will solve both your audio level concern and the single point of failure of wordclock.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 09:13:27 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.