ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What will replace the Mac 250?  (Read 12572 times)

Thomas Bishop

Re: What will replace the Mac 250?
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 03:25:34 AM »

Am I asking too much for a well-featured reliable small profile in the $2,000 per unit range? I really don't think so... yet, one doesn't seem to exist.

I feel the exact same way.  If the Platinum Spots were reliable they would fit the bill.  I even considered trying again with the 5R Pro (I REALLY want CMY and zoom) but decided against it.  If you find something please let us know.

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 03:46:22 AM »

Funny you bring up the 5R pro... I was thinking about doing the exact same thing. Not totally sure it's worth it though. Its got everything, but I think all the bells and whistles are whats more likely to break. Hard to build a fixture at a certain price point with all those features and use the best quality parts.

The search continues...

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 09:01:53 PM »

Funny you bring up the 5R pro... I was thinking about doing the exact same thing. Not totally sure it's worth it though. Its got everything, but I think all the bells and whistles are whats more likely to break. Hard to build a fixture at a certain price point with all those features and use the best quality parts.

The search continues...

That's why I changed my mind on them.  I've had better success rates with my cheapo Chinese ML's than I did with the PS5R's so sorry, Elation.

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »

That's why I changed my mind on them.  I've had better success rates with my cheapo Chinese ML's than I did with the PS5R's so sorry, Elation.

So funny we're on that subject, yet again...
I'm officially done with Elation. A quick synopsis of my experience...

I really don't want to write a book on this so I'll keep it brief. I recently purchased into the Platinum Spot 5R line from Elation.
I first have to say that these are AWESOME units (when they work)

I purchased two test units with the intent of adding 6 more to inventory once I got familiar with them (and sold off some existing inventory) Here's my experience.

1 out of the initial two had a bad tilt motor out of the box. Returned that unit and swapped it out for another new unit. That unit had a bad grinding noise on tilt movements out of the box. Went to swap that out today. Brought up another unit from the warehouse and decided to run it before making the swap. Electrical issues with that one out of the box. Brought up yet another unit from the warehouse and opened that one up, plugged it in, wouldn't power up. DOA.

4/5 had issues out of the box. Needless to say, all four bad units are going back to elation and the 5th is being removed from inventory and sent back as well. I will be buying into another line, and will probably not do much business with Elation going forward. I need to decide what that next line will be, but potentially the new Martin units when they come out if i can hold out that long on dry-rentals. Just wanted to post my experience, and I'm open to suggestions on units to look into if anyone has had good experiences. Looking for well-featured small profiles in the 2-3k range per light.

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »

Sorry to hear that, Nick. I brought my last 5R home the other day to box it up and get an RA. It will immediately go on eBay. I started looking into the VL440. I don't know pricing but I'm sure they're over $3000. But right now I'd rather use cheap lights that get the job done until I can afford to buy into something with the features I want that is going to be reliable.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.