ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What will replace the Mac 250?  (Read 12571 times)

Steve Ferreira

What will replace the Mac 250?
« on: June 05, 2012, 01:07:17 AM »

Now that Martin has discontinued the Mac 250 Entour/Krypton, what do you think will replace this workhorse?

James Feenstra

Re: What will replace the Mac 250?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 12:26:38 AM »

http://www.martin.com/product/product.asp?product=mac350ENTOUR

the better version of the same light?

swap the fixed gobo wheel for an iris, up the brightness 2x, and cut the power draw by 80%
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:57:45 PM »

Now that Martin has discontinued the Mac 250 Entour/Krypton, what do you think will replace this workhorse?

Yep, the 350 is a nice fixture.  I rented a pair a couple of months ago and had a tough time giving it back.  WAY brighter than the MAC250.  I think there was some feature that I missed, however.  I believe it was prism but I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

James Feenstra

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:35:50 PM »

Yep, the 350 is a nice fixture.  I rented a pair a couple of months ago and had a tough time giving it back.  WAY brighter than the MAC250.  I think there was some feature that I missed, however.  I believe it was prism but I'm too lazy to look it up right now.
they took out a gobo wheel (the fixed, useless, one) and the prism functions, but added an iris and made the fixture a ton brighter....even trade off I'd say
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 04:45:45 PM »

Yes, the 350 is a nice light, but not having a prism really bugs me...

It was for that reason I picked up a few Elation PS5R's, though I would have preferred to buy Martin. Maybe something will be announced at infocomm? Anyone there in Vegas?

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 11:37:39 PM »

they took out a gobo wheel (the fixed, useless, one) and the prism functions, but added an iris and made the fixture a ton brighter....even trade off I'd say

Why does there have to be a trade off?  Besides, I would gladly trade the iris feature for a prism.  I use prism every day.

James Feenstra

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 12:13:09 AM »

Why does there have to be a trade off?  Besides, I would gladly trade the iris feature for a prism.  I use prism every day.
because you can only put so many features into a small light and still have it be economical

the loss of a prism sucks for corporate shows, but for rock and roll the iris is a much better addition
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »

There's something to be said for reliability though. Even though they are not as feature-rich, I'm considering dumping my 5Rs in favor of 350s. I had two 5Rs with bad tilt motors in the first few hours of use... reliability is important. Anyone have any thoughts on the 350 vs. 5R side by side? I made a thread about small profiles before purchasing, and I'm afraid I made a mistake going with Elation... Really looking to see whats coming in the way of small profiles from Martin, if anything.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:20:03 AM by Nick Pignetti »

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 01:32:40 AM »

There's something to be said for reliability though. Even though they are not as feature-rich, I'm considering dumping my 5Rs in favor of 350s. I had two 5Rs with bad tilt motors in the first few hours of use... reliability is important. Anyone have any thoughts on the 350 vs. 5R side by side? I made a thread about small profiles before purchasing, and I'm afraid I made a mistake going with Elation... Really looking to see whats coming in the way of small profiles from Martin, if anything.

I'm right there with ya.  I have one more 5R to repair before selling it and being rid of Elation ML's.  Unfortunately, though, there's nothing else even close to comparable for the money.  When they work they are amazing, but I got tired of doing repairs.  I've used the 350's for one show but I didn't have a chance to do a direct comparison to the PS5R.  The frost filter makes the PS5R a fantastic unit (IMO), something no one else is doing in that price range.  I would definitely miss having prism in the 350's and that would probably keep me from buying them.  I would expect the Martins to hold up MUCH better than the Elations, so if you can live with a couple of limitations (and the price difference) go for the 350's.

Edit:
Forgot to mention... The 350 can do split colors, something the Elations can't.  Here are a couple of pictures of a pair of 350's I used for a DJ gig.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:38:15 AM by Thomas Bishop »

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »

Well, I really *Like the frost filter. I think its an awesome feature and I have been using it, not sure if that's the deal breaker. I can live with the price difference, but I don't think I could live without prism- I use it for alot of beam effects. I've also heard the 350's are somewhat fragile in comparison to the mac250s, but I have no doubt they are better made than the Elation units. Am I asking too much for a well-featured reliable small profile in the $2,000 per unit range? I really don't think so... yet, one doesn't seem to exist.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.