ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ELX118's not enough power?  (Read 7508 times)

Mario Maric

ELX118's not enough power?
« on: May 24, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »

So, I think I may have a problem.
I'm running 2 ev elx118's on a QSC GX7 which is almost double the rms for the subs. I've noticed to get them to push the bass I gotta really turn up the low output on the crossover to match the volume of my tops to get a good balance. I leave the amps fully open (havent had probs with clip) I'm running the crossover between 100-120 cutoff depending. Is it normal for it to be like that, or am I doing something wrong?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: ELX118's not enough power?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 04:09:58 PM »

Just a guess:

The subs in question are probably fine for what they are, but because LF material needs more power to be perceived to be of equal volume you should likely be running 2/side to balance out your tops.......whatever they may be.  What are you running over the subs?

But if it works for you as is, who cares about the settings if you're not blowing your gear up.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 05:15:02 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 12:12:54 AM »

So, I think I may have a problem.
I'm running 2 ev elx118's on a QSC GX7 which is almost double the rms for the subs. I've noticed to get them to push the bass I gotta really turn up the low output on the crossover to match the volume of my tops to get a good balance. I leave the amps fully open (havent had probs with clip) I'm running the crossover between 100-120 cutoff depending. Is it normal for it to be like that, or am I doing something wrong?

You don't say what you have for tops or the amplifier used for them. You may just have an imbalance in the input sensitivity of the amps or the power requirement of the tops & subs. How would we know?
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Mario Maric

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 11:11:08 AM »

Tops, ELX115's with gx7 as well.

It's obvious it's easier to push HF's than the LF's (Volume Wise). As you said, if I'm not blowing stuff up I'm sure it was fine than. I was just wondering as to why I have to run it hot.

Dick, you mean 2 18's per side?

I forgot to mention I'm cutting off at 50hz, I still haven't gave a try if I lower it to 40 or so. I mean it could be affecting the "feel" that there is lacking bass. I highly doubt it though. It's more the entire range that it is outputting has to be bumped.

Would LF sum have to do with anything? I'm only using one channel of the crossover for mono anyway.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 02:06:28 PM by Mario Maric »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »

Tops, ELX115's with gx7 as well.

It's obvious it's easier to push HF's than the LF's (Volume Wise). As you said, if I'm not blowing stuff up I'm sure it was fine than. I was just wondering as to why I have to run it hot.

Dick, you mean 2 18's per side?

I forgot to mention I'm cutting off at 50hz, I still haven't gave a try if I lower it to 40 or so. I mean it could be affecting the "feel" that there is lacking bass. I highly doubt it though. It's more the entire range that it is outputting has to be bumped.

Would LF sum have to do with anything? I'm only using one channel of the crossover for mono anyway.

Yes, 2/side.  Check the factory specs for the low cut on your subs.  EV says those subs should be cut off @ 35hz. 50hz is too high and you will be losing some of their capability.

I run an older but comparable set of EV cabinets.  I run two 400W 15/horn tops/side over 2 600W 18" subs/side.  If I was doing rock/DJ/dance or emusic, I'd definitely want twice as many subs as I have.  But I just do generic small festival stuff for family audiences, so I don't need mega-thump in the low range.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:33:18 PM by dick rees »

Mario Maric

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 06:42:42 PM »

When you're on a budget, what can you do...

Anyway, I'll see if putting it to 40hz or so will do them any good. The simple solution I know is to get more sub. These can definitely still thump fine though for the places we play at.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 07:10:37 PM »

When you're on a budget, what can you do...

Anyway, I'll see if putting it to 40hz or so will do them any good. The simple solution I know is to get more sub. These can definitely still thump fine though for the places we play at.

You'll be fine.  You've already found out that you have to dial your tops back a bit so that you don't outrun the subs.  Just make sure that you tailor the tops to the subs, not the other way around.  That way you won't blow the subs up trying to keep up with the tops.

Mario Maric

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 01:14:32 PM »

Sounds good, thanks for the help.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 01:14:32 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.